News Forum - Credit card payment coming next year for Bangkok transport

Thaiger

4 hours ago, HighSo said:

Okay 3/1 is okay. I bet 3.000.000 THB, you 1.000.000 THB. 

“Covid Restrictions“ = Digital Vaccination Passports required for Travel in all cases (beside maybe a few countries that successfully resist), Digital Payment via CBDCs required in most cases.

2030 is okay, but in this case I would require the bet amounts to be in 99.9% AU, Gold, as the future of the THB due to inflation and possibly a currency reform  in 9 years is completely unclear.

We use a public notary as escrow in another country, preferably Switzerland, as betting in Thailand is illegal.

Careful gents, even arranging a bet online is possibly against Thai law. PM if you need to.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, ThaiEyes said:

The article said that payment would be allowed by these methods. It said nothing of replacing cash or top-up cards. Who cares? You can still use cash. Or use credit card/debit cards with their inherent risk. 

Step-by-step

Look at Denmark, Sweden or China

6 hours ago, HighSo said:

Okay 3/1 is okay. I bet 3.000.000 THB, you 1.000.000 THB. 

“Covid Restrictions“ = Digital Vaccination Passports required for Travel in all cases (beside maybe a few countries that successfully resist), Digital Payment via CBDCs required in most cases.

2030 is okay, but in this case I would require the bet amounts to be in 99.9% AU, Gold, as the future of the THB due to inflation and possibly a currency reform  in 9 years is completely unclear.

We use a public notary as escrow in another country, preferably Switzerland, as betting in Thailand is illegal.

LOL !!  Very good mate - you win 😁 

And to the BiB checking up on us, we are not really gambling of course.

4 hours ago, Donald said:

True, but don't make a bet on it to stay like that. In Spain is it impossible to pay government and local taxes in cash. Nor get the MOT on your car since only card payments are allowed. By the way, we are even talking about minimal amounts like 1 or 2 Euro payments for forms or copies. So the road is clear to see.

Same in Australia - most Govt transactions and payments MUST be made using a debit/credit payment system - almost impossible to hide what you are spending your own money on when dealing with the Govt.  Next step is businesses - the bigger end already comply - but many of the smaller ones refuse to cooperate and prefer cash.  It is inevitable that the current younger generation in Aust (unless woken up) will drift aimlessly towards all cash payments being banned for just about everything, when they are old.  I love that Thai people all refuse to comply already - hopefully they will stay that way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Leeshard said:

Only problem is my Thai bank won’t give me a credit card because I’m a retired farang so obviously don’t have a work permit. 2 million baht into the account every year plus more than 800k left in there permanently for my retirement visa cuts no ice. 

So just use your Thai debit card as I do in Thailand.

In the UK I have not used cash for decades, I use a debit card, the transactions are sent to my phone instantly and are secure.

I don't know anybody who uses cash unless of course they are in their 80's or illegal somehow.

I like Thailand but one small downside is having to carry smelly old cash around in my pocket, it must be a great spreader of viruses. 

The people who go on abut being tracked by the use of electronic cash make me laugh, why would the government or anyone else want to track the petty things they are doing in their petty lives?

• Angry 1

9 hours ago, palooka said:

Portable card readers already exist, just a brush past and they can collect you card details unless the card is protected with foil or other defeating material.

Many Thais will get a credit card and use the credit until it reaches its limit and not pay for it.  Then the system will go the way a lot of  things go in Thailand.

You really think many Thais are going to rush out and get credit cards so they can use it on the BTS and game the new system?

Holy hell this forum can be so frigging ridiculous at times.......

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You really think many Thais are going to rush out and get credit cards so they can use it on the BTS and game the new system?

Holy hell this forum can be so frigging ridiculous at times.......

They will get the new credit cards because it is new and they want to have one for show.  They'll just not pay for it. Thais are habitual borrowers they just have a big problem paying the money back.

When you get here and a few Thais hit you up for a lend, and they will,  don't be surprised if that money never comes back. 

If you know a few Thais well, gently ask them how much they owe.  Everyone in our village owes money, some have owed for years and now re covid many have borrowed much more than they can ever feasibly repay.  Why do you think the Thai lottery is so big, they all dream of winning and getting out of debt.

I am an avid user of the convenience of paying electronically  prior is was WeChat (WePay) in China now I use True Money here in the 7s and to pay internet and mobile phone bills etc

Cash = Freedom

Cash = corruption and crime

• Angry 1

6 hours ago, palooka said:

They will get the new credit cards because it is new and they want to have one for show.  They'll just not pay for it. Thais are habitual borrowers they just have a big problem paying the money back.

When you get here and a few Thais hit you up for a lend, and they will,  don't be surprised if that money never comes back. 

If you know a few Thais well, gently ask them how much they owe.  Everyone in our village owes money, some have owed for years and now re covid many have borrowed much more than they can ever feasibly repay.  Why do you think the Thai lottery is so big, they all dream of winning and getting out of debt.

Perhaps you mix with the wrong type of Thais.

What a generalisation.

All Scottish people wear Kilts, all English people drink tea while using an umbrella in the rain, all Americans eat hamburgers all day long. The French ride bicycles in striped shirts, a beret with a loaf of bread under their arms.

The banking system is quite advanced in Thailand and has been for years, it is easy to pay bills with debit cards, order online and pay for the goods at ATM machines, you must live in a very small backward village.....in Issan perhaps?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesR said:

Perhaps you mix with the wrong type of Thais.

What a generalisation.

All Scottish people wear Kilts, all English people drink tea while using an umbrella in the rain, all Americans eat hamburgers all day long. The French ride bicycles in striped shirts, a beret with a loaf of bread under their arms.

The banking system is quite advanced in Thailand and has been for years, it is easy to pay bills with debit cards, order online and pay for the goods at ATM machines, you must live in a very small backward village.....in Issan perhaps?

You say I generalise and then two paragraphs later you generalise with a snooty Issan comment. Bit full of it aren't you.

SaKaeo, but many in our "backward" village live and work in Bangkok and the banking system still isn't the best. Ask your bank for a printout of all foreign transactions credited to your account for the last 12 months.  Last time it took me 3 hours to get same.