News Forum - Credit card payment coming next year for Bangkok transport

Thaiger

One thing that expats often find different from home when they move to Thailand is how cash-based so much of the country is when so many Western countries use credit cards and digital payments almost exclusively. But soon people won’t get caught fumbling for change to catch a bus or train, as the Ministry of Transport announced that credit and debit cards will be accepted as payment soon on public transport in Bangkok. With an expected beginning rollout date of March of next year, the plan will eventually allow payment by Europay Mastercard and Visa cards on buses, trains, and […]

The story Credit card payment coming next year for Bangkok transport as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Fees and charges, exchange rates....50 Baht fare....75baht on the card. Or a public transport card that you can load with Baht and use on all forms of public transport....50 Baht fare....50 Baht on public transport card. 

• Like 1

In a country with limited banking regulations and very few consumer rights - with a large number of scams - with very limited legal recourse - what could possibly go wrong.   Locals use cash for a reason and post-Covid restrictions they will go back to using it most of the time. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Weirdo

Love having the CC tap on the train 

Calling me weirdo for defending the freedom of us, our kids and grandkids 🤦‍♂️ 

Robot-Sheep 🐑 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

In a country with limited banking regulations and very few consumer rights - with a large number of scams - with very limited legal recourse - what could possibly go wrong.   Locals use cash for a reason and post-Covid restrictions they will go back to using it most of the time. 

„post-Covid restrictions“ 

hahahah, you still don’t understand what’s going on here, right? There will be no end of this, it will just get worse. You asked for dictatorial control, you will get it.

I bet 3.000.000 THB on that, you are in?

Going to be some criminals working overtime to develop something that can read the info as the card is paying. And I don't mean skimmer on the machine, but more like something that can read and intercept from a few feet away. Smart choice will be having a special pay card with limited daily funds in it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HighSo said:

hahahah, you still don’t understand what’s going on here, right? There will be no end of this, it will just get worse. You asked for dictatorial control, you will get it.

What odds are you offering?  10/1?? 

Only problem is my Thai bank won’t give me a credit card because I’m a retired farang so obviously don’t have a work permit. 2 million baht into the account every year plus more than 800k left in there permanently for my retirement visa cuts no ice. 

8 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

Only problem is my Thai bank won’t give me a credit card because I’m a retired farang so obviously don’t have a work permit. 2 million baht into the account every year plus more than 800k left in there permanently for my retirement visa cuts no ice. 

Last time I lived in Thailand, Krungsri will give you a credit card - but you must deposit the same amount as the credit limit in a separate Krungsri savings account.  I did that (minimum amount) because I could not hire a car without providing a credit card for the security deposit (debit card not accepted).  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

What odds are you offering?  10/1?? 

1:1

The bet is, that the „COVID-restrictions“ will still be in place in a kinda distant future, let’s say in the year 2026

5 minutes ago, HighSo said:

1:1

The bet is, that the „COVID-restrictions“ will still be in place in a kinda distant future, let’s say in the year 2026

3/1 minimum - you made the challenge.

Define 'covid restrictions'

Define 'forever' - 2026 too soon - 2030.

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Going to be some criminals working overtime to develop something that can read the info as the card is paying. And I don't mean skimmer on the machine, but more like something that can read and intercept from a few feet away. Smart choice will be having a special pay card with limited daily funds in it.

Portable card readers already exist, just a brush past and they can collect you card details unless the card is protected with foil or other defeating material.

Many Thais will get a credit card and use the credit until it reaches its limit and not pay for it.  Then the system will go the way a lot of  things go in Thailand.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

3/1 minimum - you made the challenge.

Define 'covid restrictions'

Define 'forever' - 2026 too soon - 2030.

Okay 3/1 is okay. I bet 3.000.000 THB, you 1.000.000 THB. 

“Covid Restrictions“ = Digital Vaccination Passports required for Travel in all cases (beside maybe a few countries that successfully resist), Digital Payment via CBDCs required in most cases.

2030 is okay, but in this case I would require the bet amounts to be in 99.9% AU, Gold, as the future of the THB due to inflation and possibly a currency reform  in 9 years is completely unclear.

We use a public notary as escrow in another country, preferably Switzerland, as betting in Thailand is illegal.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Last time I lived in Thailand, Krungsri will give you a credit card - but you must deposit the same amount as the credit limit in a separate Krungsri savings account.  I did that (minimum amount) because I could not hire a car without providing a credit card for the security deposit (debit card not accepted).  

Good to know and will have to check this out.  Thank you for the info

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HighSo said:

I couldn't agree more!

It is a certainty that future historians will point to the use of Credit/Debit cards in paying for the Bangkok Metro as the opening salvo in the Intergalactic War between the Lizard People Overlords and their plucky but righteous foes, the Subterranean Mole People.

To be frank, how could anyone not see it?

The initial collection point of financial information at the kiosks of the SRT/BRT companies will become known as the 'front line' in the early stages of the war. Secret alien technologies will steal all the funds from one half of the populace and then deposit it into the accounts of the other half. Next, the Lizard People or the Subterranean Mole People (history doesn't record which) will publicize the situation, leading to disturbances, riots and all-out anarchy in the Thai Capital. Soon enough, and after many many foreign people have used the Thai public transit system and had their cards infected, the disturbances, riots and anarchical pursuits will spread like wildfire throughout SE Asia and beyond. It is at this juncture that the two sides, the Lizard People and the Subterranean Mole People, will shed their disguises and subterfuge to begin a war which will engulf 1,000s of star systems and thousands of years.

It is obvious.

Or, perhaps, Bangkok is just moving towards a system of touchless, electronic payments similar to many other countries.

Given Thailand's propensity towards lax Internet security, I'll use cash for now. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

The article said that payment would be allowed by these methods. It said nothing of replacing cash or top-up cards. Who cares? You can still use cash. Or use credit card/debit cards with their inherent risk. 

• Like 1

Yes, whatever argument to get rid of that pesky cash. Governments around the world are doing their best to eradicate the last bit of freedom left. And since Covid 19 is an ideal environment to push through all sorts of policies that otherwise would be more difficult and slower to implement this shouldn't come as no surprise. The idea is the introduction of digital money that will completely enslave us with no escape. Negative interest rates, expiring date for money,  and all sorts of other extreme and insane possibilities will be on the table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ThaiEyes said:

The article said that payment would be allowed by these methods. It said nothing of replacing cash or top-up cards. Who cares? You can still use cash. Or use credit card/debit cards with their inherent risk. 

True, but don't make a bet on it to stay like that. In Spain is it impossible to pay government and local taxes in cash. Nor get the MOT on your car since only card payments are allowed. By the way, we are even talking about minimal amounts like 1 or 2 Euro payments for forms or copies. So the road is clear to see.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Donald said:

True, but don't make a bet on it to stay like that. In Spain is it impossible to pay government and local taxes in cash. Nor get the MOT on your car since only card payments are allowed. By the way, we are even talking about minimal amounts like 1 or 2 Euro payments for forms or copies. So the road is clear to see.

Another thing that is true is there are millions of poverty-level people here in Thailand without access to credit, let alone credit/debit cards. The government would have to continue to allow payment by cash for them for services like electricity and water. Unlikely the government would be able to switch completely to a cashless Thai society without figuring them in. 
I’m certainly not worried about it. I’ll be dead long before that happens here considering how long it takes to do things here and how many failures they have stacked up. 😅

• Like 1

Basically good to have another payment option. But if it's Credit Card only payment it can turn out to be the same desaster as getting a baggage trolley at Frankfurt Airport. What a mess it is: 

Baggage Carts

Easy to find

The baggage cart system at Frankfurt Airport ensures that every passenger can find a baggage cart in all public areas within a very short time, with the exception of the gate and transit areas of the terminals.

Cashless payment for luggage carts.

Upon arrival:

It is only possible to remove a luggage cart from a dispenser after paying the fee with a credit or debit card. Payment can be made with VISA, VPay, MasterCard, MasterCard Debit, Maestro, American Express and Girocard. Additional credit cards and other cashless options will also be gradually added to the list.

On Departure
Baggage carts can be found in the area of check-in counters, baggage claims, terminal entrances, bus parking, access to car parks, regional and long-distance train station. After paying a fee of 1 € at the machine next to the depot, you can simply pull out your baggage carrier. If you no longer need the baggage cart, simply slide it back into one of the depots. And no ! you don't get any money back !

https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/airport-guide/check-in-and-luggage/baggage-carts.html

As a result Departing and arriving Passengers often have real problems with their luggage which made some homeless people collecting trolley's left outside the building and selling them to those in need.

The Mess continues if you travel on by train from the Airport Trainstation. You can only pay with Banknotes 5-10 Euro but no clear sign about this in any language. Therefore people try bigger notes which are refused and as a result they miss their train.

Bangkok, please make it better ! It's not difficult.

• Like 1