DL

Was wondering about motorcycle/moped/car validity of Foreign DL.

Specifically does anyone know if I would need motorcycle on my home DL (USA) to operate a motorcycle in Thailand?

I rode for many years in America but lapsed on the motorcycle operator's whatchamacallit on my current licence.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Transam said:

You will have to start from scratch here...

My DL process took all of 11 minutes, they just wanted me to go away.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, GMoney2312 said:

My DL process took all of 11 minutes, they just wanted me to go away.🤣

It's easier for Farang residents than for everyday Thai....

how does a western mc licence “lapse” (unless by age).anyway yes if no mc qual on your state / national DL then you must of course start from scratch ! …….or just practice off road and get a DL Agent …..not remotely suggesting that anyone not fit to drive should drive here….. that would disqualify half the drivers on the roads here……

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

how does a western mc licence “lapse” (unless by age).anyway yes if no mc qual on your state / national DL then you must of course start from scratch ! …….or just practice off road and get a DL Agent …..not remotely suggesting that anyone not fit to drive should drive here….. that would disqualify half the drivers on the roads here……

Worldwide, actually.

On 12/26/2021 at 7:33 PM, Rain said:

It's easier for Farang residents than for everyday Thai....

My Thai wife and I both renewed our DLs this past  year. The process was the same and was easy. Follow directions on the provincial web site. I can't recall how long it took  but it was fast. 

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

My Thai wife and I both renewed our DLs this past  year. The process was the same and was easy. Follow directions on the provincial web site. I can't recall how long it took  but it was fast. 

Renew isn't the same as a new DL which @GMoney2312said he got for just appearing.

17 hours ago, Shark said:

Renew isn't the same as a new DL which @GMoney2312said he got for just appearing.

Both of ours were renewals.  Follow the on line instructions in English and very easy and efficient. 

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

Both of ours were renewals.  Follow the on line instructions in English and very easy and efficient. 

So there is a differen in what @Raughasked for:

On 12/25/2021 at 4:17 PM, Raugh said:

Specifically does anyone know if I would need motorcycle on my home DL (USA) to operate a motorcycle in Thailand?

I rode for many years in America but lapsed on the motorcycle operator's whatchamacallit on my current licence.

He's asking about foreign License and the lack of himself having a current motorcycle license.

3 hours ago, Shark said:

He's asking about foreign License and the lack of himself having a current motorcycle license.

Sorry, In my original home state it is called a Motorcycle endorsement which is added on to an existing vehicular License. Difference being stuff like a road test and written specifically on, or for, motorcycle. I have a valid car license.

thanks )

Edited by Raugh
added note

On 12/28/2021 at 7:34 PM, oldschooler said:

how does a western mc licence “lapse”

I don't recall the actual details. It may have been that my license expired while i was living abroad and when I got stateside and went to renew/replace I didn't want to study for the MC exam or do a road test on a non-existent motorcycle at that time. I mean no doubt I could hop on a motorcycle and be fine, just want a Thai officer to not have an issue with a document if I got pulled or whatever. Thanks

34 minutes ago, Raugh said:

Sorry, In my original home state it is called a Motorcycle endorsement which is added on to an existing vehicular License. Difference being stuff like a road test and written specifically on, or for, motorcycle. I have a valid car license.

if you can get an IDP with it you would be ok in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 4:17 PM, Raugh said:

I have no idea of the format of a US motor vehicle licence, but a UK licence has categories with pictures of vehicles and motorcycles. A motor vehicle licence permits you to ride a moped.
The DLT were completely bemused by the categories and pictures and merely asked if I wanted both motor vehicle and motorcycle licences - yes please!

• Haha 1