News Forum - TikTok content moderators sue over exposure to disturbing content

Thaiger

Maybe it’s an “Okay Boomer” thing, but many of our readers may find scrolling endlessly through the short and often obnoxious videos that make up the TikTok app somewhat nauseating. But if you think what’s published on there is bad, the millions of videos that don’t make the cut are far, far worse. That content is blocked by a team of about 10,000 content moderators who are now suing TikTok for the frantic pace that they’re exposed to disturbing and often criminal videos. In a lawsuit filed against TikTok parent company ByteDance, employees who work in content moderation describe their […]

The story TikTok content moderators sue over exposure to disturbing content as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

9 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

What's next? Nurces sue over seeing dead people? 

Read the link. TikTok are not complying with their HR obligations for harm mitigation.

2 hours ago, PBS said:

Read the link. TikTok are not complying with their HR obligations for harm mitigation.

Read it carefully. One person has proposed a class action lawsuit. She seems to be the only person in currently in the lawsuit filed. And 12 hour shifts with a maximum of 4 hours moderation before a break. 2 x 15 minute breaks and 1 hour lunch = 3 breaks. 12hours / 3 breaks = 4 hour shifts. And no mention of the lady seeking and being denied counseling.

And 12 hour shifts for 10,000 employees?  I suspect these moderators are contractors, not employees, and the title is as misleading and vague as the article. We’ll see.. 

EDIT: maybe Karen didn’t like her new job after all ;-)

Edited by Fanta
Karenised…
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Fanta said:

And 12 hour shifts for 10,000 employees?  I suspect these moderators are contractors, not employees, and the title is as misleading and vague as the article. We’ll see.. 

and remember it is a Chinese company, so where are they being sued? Los Angeles. Bet they will move all there moderators to India or the Philippines like where all the call centres moved to. Less chance of being sued there.

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

Read it carefully. One person has proposed a class action lawsuit. She seems to be the only person in currently in the lawsuit filed. And 12 hour shifts with a maximum of 4 hours moderation before a break. 2 x 15 minute breaks and 1 hour lunch = 3 breaks. 12hours / 3 breaks = 4 hour shifts. And no mention of the lady seeking and being denied counseling.

EDIT: maybe Karen didn’t like her new job after all ;-)

It's a class action law suit

1 hour ago, PBS said:

It's a class action law suit

IANAL, so proposing a class action lawsuit means she is asking for permission from the court to file a class action lawsuit? 
I guess that’s one way to make money out of the narcissistic cesspool that is TikTok.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2021 at 11:41 AM, Fanta said:

Think everything will be ok, they're just doing their work and earn money this way. In opposite they're 100% chineese and all of us knows how chineese workers are being expoited.

As for me that is even better than just watch TikTok videos all day for personal desire. I'm doing this because I filming videos there, and I need to know what is going. 

Offtop: hate TikTok videos editing tools. I filming videos for 3 month and really enjoy it by using another app https://create.vista.com/colors/palettes/natural-color-palette

. Good templates forcing my video quality and forcing into recs. Like it.😉 In dreams earn a lot of money this way to be a freelancer

Edited by swinedrlyy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, swinedrlyy said:

Think everything will be ok, they're just doing their work and earn money this way. In opposite they're 100% chineese and all of us knows how chineese workers are being expoited.

As for me that is even better than just watch TikTok videos all day for personal desire. I'm doing this because I filming videos there, and I need to know what is going. 

Offtop: hate TikTok videos editing tools. I filming videos for 3 month and really enjoy it by using another app https://create.vista.com/colors/palettes/natural-color-palette

. Good templates forcing my video quality and forcing into recs. Like it.😉 In dreams earn a lot of money this way to be a freelancer

Good for you, @swinedrlyy! And your debut post, too, so thanks for that and welcome to Thaiger Talk!