News Forum - Hotel operators blame government’s faulty tracking apps for Israeli tourist escape

Thaiger

The recent case of an Israeli tourist who fled his hotel before he’d received the results of his PCR test can be blamed on faulty tracking apps. So says Angkana Tanetvisetkul from Phuket’s Kata Karon Hotel Association. According to a Bangkok Post report, she believes the current entry requirements involve too many apps that don’t work together – sometimes they don’t even work alone. “The recent case of the Israeli tourist who ran away from a Bangkok hotel should be a case study for our preventive measures. The authorities should be able to track his real-time location without having to […]

The story Hotel operators blame government’s faulty tracking apps for Israeli tourist escape as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Kind of understand their point. When I went to Koh Samui, I had 20 new friends in Line. No people, but just tracking QR codes you had to scan. Before you enter, you've scanned 50 QR codes and in the end, nothing is done with it. 

All I thought I had to do was showing the Mor Phrom app, but no one ever asked me. And when you show it, they laugh and give you a QR code to scan or a pen and paper to fill in your name. 

• Like 2

Might just have something to do with the people who BUY their positions, who have a very vague idea of what they are doing and try to implement ideas.  They have no idea that apps have to be tested and proven before use, they think it is just making an app and say there is the app, the fact it does nothing is totally beyond them.  Their underlings only do as instructed by this "know nothing" so how can anything work.

9 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

And when you show it, they laugh and give you a QR code to scan or a pen and paper to fill in your name. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just returned from a month stay in Bangkok on the Thailand Pass.  I totally forgot about downloading the app, and nobody mentioned anything about it throughout the immigration or test and go process.  I still stayed in my hotel room until I received a call with my negative results, but sure seems like I could have easily been in the same boat with absolutely no bad intention or malice.

• Like 4

I only have the Morchana app, was told to install it, but nobody checked if I did.

Of course, it only 'works' when the phone is switched on and you carry it with you - if it works at all, not so sure. I always get "medium risk" wherever I go, even in the middle of nowhere.

• Haha 1

"Hotel operators blame government’s faulty tracking apps for Israeli tourist escape"

I am all for blaming Prayut and his cronies for anything, up to and including a rainy day, I don't think this can all be laid at their feet.

What about the personal responsibility of the Israeli tourist?

I haven't gone through an entry recently, but I am 100% sure that the rules for entry were given and given and given to him ad nauseum; does anyone NOT understand that you have to wait one day for your test results to come back? If you don't get that, you shouldn't be allowed on a plane unaccompanied.

The Tosser did a runner.

Throw the book at him; large fine, a few nights in prison to drive the point home and 'pour encourger les autre', then send him home at his expense.

PS does anyone actually want the Thai government to have a decent app which can accurately track your location 24/7? Think about it; I am happy with the incompetence and/or would rather get Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I try todown load the app. It was overloaded. I comment on the Google Play site that it was impossible to download. A few.days latet it worked. Then I tried to scan my Thailand Pass QR code. No. Not possible. So the self test is still to be done.

Of course, she blames the app or whatever 

But what is with the first step of controlling it, the duty of the SHT Hotel?

In the moment the guest did  leave WITH luggage, there the hotel had to do something.

When he wasnt there in the night, the hotel had to do something 

But of course, it is the missing tracking, not the informing of the authorities in the first place, that someone is on the run 

Why are always only others making mistakes here?

Edited by Guest1
  • Like 2

Oh, and vaguely related:

The morning after arrival in the village, the village nurse came along to take all my details and register me in some local medical program, gave me a digital thermometer to take temperature very day. Got a phonecall from an automated voice every morning for three days to remind me.

So, apparently they do keep an eye on travellers, at least out in the sticks where it's part of the daily news when a white face shows up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, astro said:

I always get "medium risk" wherever I go, even in the middle of nowhere.

You better be cautious 24/7 before The Omicron will find you🤪

7 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Of course, she blames the app or whatever 

But what is with the first step of controlling it, the durty if the SHT Hotel?

In the moment the guest did  leave WITH luggage, there the hotel had to do something.

When he wasnt there in the night, the hotel had to do something 

But of course, it is the missing tracking, not the informing of the authorities in the first place, that someone is on the run 

Why are always only others making mistakes here?

I don't think it's hotel responsibility to police tourist movements

Sure, alert authorities but that's it

Just like vaccine passports for dining

It's unfair to leave the policing to the restaurant workers

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

PS does anyone actually want the Thai government to have a decent app which can accurately track your location 24/7? Think about it; I am happy with the incompetence and/or would rather get Covid.

Good point🤔

I arrived on November 4 with a CoE and could not register on Mor Chana which required a thailand pass number!

I wrote to the Thai Embassy in France ... no response ...

30 minutes ago, WR2 said:

I just returned from a month stay in Bangkok on the Thailand Pass.  I totally forgot about downloading the app, and nobody mentioned anything about it throughout the immigration or test and go process.  I still stayed in my hotel room until I received a call with my negative results, but sure seems like I could have easily been in the same boat with absolutely no bad intention or malice.

still an unruly tourist.

Do you need mom or dad to check that you do your homework.

Infantile behavior ...

Man, your behavior shows that you don't care about others

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vvdb.fr said:

still an unruly tourist.

Do you need mom or dad to check that you do your homework.

Infantile behavior ...

Man, your behavior shows that you don't care about others

Just like farangs here who don't get vaccines, don't wear masks and drink in illegal bars. This place is full of these A holes. See them every day. 

18 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I don't think it's hotel responsibility to police tourist movements

Sure, alert authorities but that's it

Just like vaccine passports for dining

It's unfair to leave the policing to the restaurant workers

Afaik, or understood the news about, the hotel did not do the alerting, when he left the hotel with his luggage!

And you are right, the restaurant workers can do other things:

Staying at home without any income, p.ex.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"Hotel operators blame government’s faulty tracking apps for Israeli tourist escape"

I am all for blaming Prayut and his cronies for anything, up to and including a rainy day, I don't think this can all be laid at their feet.

What about the personal responsibility of the Israeli tourist?

I haven't gone through an entry recently, but I am 100% sure that the rules for entry were given and given and given to him ad nauseum; does anyone NOT understand that you have to wait one day for your test results to come back? If you don't get that, you shouldn't be allowed on a plane unaccompanied.

The Tosser did a runner.

Throw the book at him; large fine, a few nights in prison to drive the point home and 'pour encourger les autre', then send him home at his expense.

I couldn't agree more with every line.

2 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Just like farangs here who don't get vaccines, don't wear masks and drink in illegal bars. This place is full of these A holes. See them every day. 

Wow, so an overly complicated, confusing entry system with no controls is the tourists fault?  And your twisted logic links it to every other random tourist behavior that you personally don't like?  Blaming foreigners for Thailand problems is laughable.  No mention of the Thai bar owners opening illegally?  Or the police taking bribes from said bar owners? Or the Thai ppl who can't be bothered to do their jobs and develop an app that actually works?  But yeah, I'm a horrible person because I got vaccinated, filled out all their paperwork, got their sham insurance, spent loads of money in Thailand, got tested 5 times, all negative.

I think you probably see an Ahole every morning in the mirror.  This forum seems to be full of bitter expats and racist Thais.  I think I'll not be spending much time on you losers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

, she believes the current entry requirements involve too many apps that don’t work together – sometimes they don’t even work alone.

sounds about right ..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WR2 said:

Wow, so an overly complicated, confusing entry system with no controls is the tourists fault?  And your twisted logic links it to every other random tourist behavior that you personally don't like?  Blaming foreigners for Thailand problems is laughable.  No mention of the Thai bar owners opening illegally?  Or the police taking bribes from said bar owners? Or the Thai ppl who can't be bothered to do their jobs and develop an app that actually works?  But yeah, I'm a horrible person because I got vaccinated, filled out all their paperwork, got their sham insurance, spent loads of money in Thailand, got tested 5 times, all negative.

I think you probably see an Ahole every morning in the mirror.  This forum seems to be full of bitter expats and racist Thais.  I think I'll not be spending much time on you losers.

As usual, people like you ignore the obvious. No wonder many Thai's despise farangs, both expats and tourists. 

• Thanks 1