News Forum - AstraZeneca triple vaccines shown effective against Omicron variant

Thaiger

Add AstraZeneca to the list of vaccines that testing data shows is effective against the Omicron variant after 2 doses and a third booster shot. The London-based vaccine brand announced today that, like Pfizer 2 weeks ago and the Moderna vaccine last week, AstraZeneca has also been shown to be effective after 3 doses against the Omicron variant of Covid-19. Sinovac says they are still waiting for data to determine the effectiveness of their vaccine. Oxford University has recently released data from a lab study confirming the efficacy of the AstraZeneca vaccine, though peer review is still pending on the […]

The story AstraZeneca triple vaccines shown effective against Omicron variant as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Great News for those Triple Vaxxed with AZ. Another UK (HSA) study found ZERO CASES of Omicron with UK Triple Vaxxed (any westen combo). And that Omicron is Mild and hasn’t yet killed anyone in UK yet. Looks like Covid, in evolving to be Highly Infectious, has blown itself out / shot its bolt ? In any case,being triple vaxxed myself, with MOPH Digital Pass, I’m Done. No paranoid 4th Jab for me. Will now wait for the inevitable Winter Flu/ Covid Cocktail Jab next October.I’m 65 but perfectly fit & healthy, with no current underlying conditions. Will now rely on my Immune System and Staying Healthy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

But the study ... says 3 doses against Omicron shows neutralising levels are similar to the levels seen with 2 doses against the Delta variant

So considerably less effective than three doses of Pfizer or Moderna, then ...

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Great News for those Triple Vaxxed with AZ. Another UK (HSA) study found ZERO CASES of Omicron with UK Triple Vaxxed (any westen combo). And that Omicron is Mild and hasn’t yet killed anyone in UK yet. Looks like Covid, in evolving to be Highly Infectious, has blown itself out / shot its bolt ? In any case,being triple vaxxed myself, with MOPH Digital Pass, I’m Done. No paranoid 4th Jab for me. Will now wait for the inevitable Winter Flu/ Covid Cocktail Jab next October.I’m 65 but perfectly fit & healthy, with no current underlying conditions. Will now rely on my Immune System and Staying Healthy.

I'm far from sure that's up to date.

From Reuters:

"As of Monday, 132 people confirmed with Omicron had been treated in hospital. Over 40% of hospital admissions were in London.

Of those patients admitted to hospital, 17 had received a booster vaccine, 74 people had two doses and 27 people were not vaccinated.

The vaccination status was unknown for six people, while eight had received a single dose and 14 people were reported to have died within 28 days of an Omicron diagnosis, ranging in age from 52-96 years old."

From AP:

"It cautioned that the analysis is “preliminary and highly uncertain” because of the small number of omicron patients in hospitals and the fact that most were in younger age groups. As of Dec. 20, 132 people had been admitted to U.K. hospitals with confirmed omicron. Fourteen of them died, all between the ages of 52 and 96."

That's a confirmed fatality rate of over 10% of those admitted to hospital with Omicron.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I'm far from sure that's up to date.

From Reuters:

"As of Monday, 132 people confirmed with Omicron had been treated in hospital. Over 40% of hospital admissions were in London.

Of those patients admitted to hospital, 17 had received a booster vaccine, 74 people had two doses and 27 people were not vaccinated.

The vaccination status was unknown for six people, while eight had received a single dose and 14 people were reported to have died within 28 days of an Omicron diagnosis, ranging in age from 52-96 years old."

From AP:

"It cautioned that the analysis is “preliminary and highly uncertain” because of the small number of omicron patients in hospitals and the fact that most were in younger age groups. As of Dec. 20, 132 people had been admitted to U.K. hospitals with confirmed omicron. Fourteen of them died, all between the ages of 52 and 96."

That's a confirmed fatality rate of over 10% of those admitted to hospital with Omicron.

right Stonker, perhaps ( not stated) icu / death rate for those 14 triple vaxed was zero but still too small and early sample size to draw proper final conclusions……but still looking very favourable indeed for triple western vaxxed….so far.

59 minutes ago, Stonker said:

So considerably less effective than three doses of Pfizer or Moderna, then ...

But no mention of how Sinovac will combat this variant with an extra shot? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

right Stonker, perhaps ( not stated) icu / death rate for those 14 triple vaxed was zero but still too small and early sample size to draw proper final conclusions……but still looking very favourable indeed for triple western vaxxed….so far.

Who knows - perhaps all 14 fell off the balcony!

I'd suggest that if 1 in 8 of those hospitalised have been "triple western vaxxed" that's a long way from "very favourable indeed".

8 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

But no mention of how Sinovac will combat this variant with an extra shot? 

Tsss... You not supposed to mention this...

• Haha 1

Here the results from a Danish full cohort study on Omicron.  Take a look at the chart showing vaccine-effectiveness waning for Omicron (green dots - with confidence interval)...

image.png.b94f2c911e80ce9cfa3cb62bf879730e.png

> Vaccine effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2 infection with the Omicron or Delta variants following a two-dose or booster BNT162b2 or mRNA-1273 vaccination series - A Danish cohort study, pre-print dd 22 Dec 2021

Attached the PDF of the pre-print study from this link: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.20.21267966v2.full.pdf 

Vaccine effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2 infection with the Omicron or Delta variants following a two-dose or booster BNT162b2 or mRNA-1273 vaccination series - A Danish cohort study, pre-print dd 22 Dec 2021.pdf

That was a heck of a good news for Pfizer, Moderna & Astrazeneca triple vaxxed  are effective in fighting the Omicron variant but it's only 80-85% effective, I hope the Thai government will allow triple vaxxed farangs to come to Thailand with a Test & Go requirements when they have a meeting on Jan 4. I am not due for booster till the 1st week of February.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueSphinx said:

Here the results from a Danish full cohort study on Omicron.  Take a look at the chart showing vaccine-effectiveness waning for Omicron (green dots - with confidence interval)...

> Vaccine effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2 infection with the Omicron or Delta variants following a two-dose or booster BNT162b2 or mRNA-1273 vaccination series - A Danish cohort study, pre-print dd 22 Dec 2021

Attached the PDF of the pre-print study from this link: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.20.21267966v2.full.pdf 

Vaccine effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2 infection with the Omicron or Delta variants following a two-dose or booster BNT162b2 or mRNA-1273 vaccination series - A Danish cohort study, pre-print dd 22 Dec 2021.pdf 89.19 kB · 2 downloads

The bad news is that unlike Delta and other variants, apparently the protection from infection post Omicron wanes even quicker than the protection from vaccines.

1 hour ago, ace035 said:

That was a heck of a good news for Pfizer, Moderna & Astrazeneca triple vaxxed  are effective in fighting the Omicron variant but it's only 80-85% effective, I hope the Thai government will allow triple vaxxed farangs to come to Thailand with a Test & Go requirements when they have a meeting on Jan 4. I am not due for booster till the 1st week of February.

I think you're a bit over-optimistic if you think that's the case for AZ as well, as I haven't seen them claiming that much.

7 hours ago, Stonker said:

I think you're a bit over-optimistic if you think that's the case for AZ as well, as I haven't seen them claiming that much.

I know, don't have a clue about AZ yet but I am positive sure about Pfizer & Moderna

1 hour ago, ace035 said:

I know, don't have a clue about AZ yet but I am positive sure about Pfizer & Moderna

Thanks, understood and agreed - AZ seem to be tip-toeing round specifics a bit.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:19 PM, BlueSphinx said:

Vaccine effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2 infection with the Omicron or Delta variants following a two-dose or booster BNT162b2 or mRNA-1273 vaccination series - A Danish cohort study, pre-print dd 22 Dec 2021.pdf 89.19 kB · 2 downloads

It just confirms that VE against Omicron quickly diminishes after the most recent jab.

That matches with every report I've seen so far, so no surprise there. I'm still curious about the ongoing Sinovac studies, but I expect them be similar at the very best (actually, I expect them not to be published at all any time soon, because of disappointing results).

If the USA and Europe are able to manage the inflow of hospitalizations, all is more-or-less fine. Right now, I'm very much leaning towards being optimistic considering the reduced incubation period, severity and duration.

• Like 1