News Forum - Popular Philippines surf spot devastated by Typhoon Rai

Thaiger

Restrictions in the Philippines were lifted for the holiday season, businesses were expecting an upturn in tourism on the surfing island in the southern Philippines. But Super Typhoon Rai hit the tropical paradise in Siargao, ripping its palm trees, houses, and electricity poles last Thursday with wind speeds of 195 kilometers per hour. Locals, including many Filipino families who came to the beach for Christmas, were shocked by the widespread destruction it had caused. It didn’t look like the beautiful surfer destination anymore. S Rai made landfall after two years of pandemic restrictions that had a huge impact on the island’s […]

The story Popular Philippines surf spot devastated by Typhoon Rai as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Very sad. We have been a few times to Siargo, Dinagat, Bohol, Siquijor. These islands are paradise locations but hit too often by earthquake and typhoons.

• Like 1

One of my workmates is from Cebu. He showed me pictures of his house with the roof blown off.

Gotta feel for these people and the natural disasters that hit their nation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

One of my workmates is from Cebu. He showed me pictures of his house with the roof blown off.

Gotta feel for these people and the natural disasters that hit their nation. 

Yeah, my good friend work there too. Still no power or water. Seems like people pay attention to tourism spots only, just like Thailand. Nevermind people have no food or shelter. Tourism comes first, right? 

• Thanks 1

Lack of water, food, atm offline, limit on gasoline. Motorbike can only buy 100 peso of gasoline, cars can buy 300 peso max (7 litre only) in some areas. Telecom still down in many areas.

Local expat forums can't contact some members, 9 days after Odette / Rai.

Because of covid and the christmas holiday, few countries so far has promised / sent help.

Many areas of Bohol look like a garbage landfill, horrible. I have not been able to contact any friends there. Cebu city some barangay got electricity and internet back, majority still has to wait.

Tourism will not be back for a long time.