News Forum - Government-hosted New Year’s events in Bangkok cancelled

Thaiger

Government-hosted New Year’s countdown events and holiday celebrations in Bangkok will be cancelled, the vice governor, Kriangyos Sudlabha, announced today, adding that the decision is due to the emergence of the Omicron variant and follows the World Health Organisation’s recommendations. The countdown event in front of Bangkok Metropolitan Administration Office will be canceled as well as other events organised by the government. The government is asking the private sector to avoid organising events. If the events have already been approved, like the major countdown events at ICONSIAM and CentralWorld, they can still be held under the Covid Free Setting measures. […]

The story Government-hosted New Year’s events in Bangkok cancelled as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I hinted that this might/should be happening in a post a couple of days ago, but I truly did not expect it  to be actually happening.  Without confirmed Omicron spreading or a surge of Delta-cases, it seemed unwarranted. Either the government is in a state of panic, or they know more than is publicized. My guess is the latter.