News Forum - Tourism officials say Test & Go suspension could have knock-on affect for Phuket

Thaiger

The head of the Phuket Tourist Association says the potential knock-on effect of the Test & Go suspension is not yet known. Bhummikitti Raktaengam says the number of foreign tourists arriving on the island via the sandbox scheme could be affected. According to a Bangkok Post report, he says it remains to be seen if overall visitor numbers to Thailand drop off or if more tourists switch their destination to Phuket. “The suspension of the Test & Go scheme will have an inevitable impact. But it is necessary to keep the economy going.” Until the emergence of the Omicron variant, […]

The story Tourism officials say Test & Go suspension could have knock-on affect for Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

My parents were booked in on Thailand pass and had everything ready until the announcement. The thought of additional PCR tests and risks of being positive was too much for then. They had no intention to visit Phuket and ultimately they ended up cancelling and losing 12,600thb on AXA insurance and got stuck with a flight credit.

Now considering Mexico for a vacation instead.

Thailand is just making terrible decisions one after another impacting even the few people left who were trying to jump the insane hoops.

• Like 2

I've said many times on this forum, that trust is a massive issue.

So long as the government lurch from one knee jerk  reaction to another, trust will not return, nor will the tourists in any meaningful numbers.

Tourists have shown time and time again, that they will not subject themselves to all these restrictions, and for those few who do, how disappointed are they, given little is open, or is with restrictions?

Sandbox, COE, Thailand Pass, ASQ, test upon test etc. None have brought tourists back in meaningful numbers.

This crap is all over the world as we all know.

The government need a change of mindset, if not people will die in the streets of hunger (do we remember the dead bodies left on the street in Bangkok)?

But hey, this is amazing Thailand we're talking about.

😊

1 hour ago, BIGGLES said:

that trust is a massive issue.

strongly agree-----welcome to thailand and the fickle thais....I saw the window and jumped thru with fingers crossed so I got back in....

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PJK said:

I guess I will look at 2023 for booking my trip to Thailand. I hope there is still a country to visit by then ! 

might be the same same in 2023.....

3 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

I've said many times on this forum, that trust is a massive issue.

So long as the government lurch from one knee jerk  reaction to another, trust will not return, nor will the tourists in any meaningful numbers.

Tourists have shown time and time again, that they will not subject themselves to all these restrictions, and for those few who do, how disappointed are they, given little is open, or is with restrictions?

Sandbox, COE, Thailand Pass, ASQ, test upon test etc. None have brought tourists back in meaningful numbers.

This crap is all over the world as we all know.

The government need a change of mindset, if not people will die in the streets of hunger (do we remember the dead bodies left on the street in Bangkok)?

But hey, this is amazing Thailand we're talking about.

😊

the global elite do not want peasants to travel freely....

Only the rich and wealthy have the time/money/energy to move freely it seems.

• Cool 1

The information about the cut off date of the 10th of January to enter to Thailand for tourists, who already have an approved Thailand Pass is wrong! There is NO cut off date! All of these people can enter to Thailand by the selected scheme! Only the second PCR-Test is required. 

This you can also see at the websites of the embassies and TAT! Well...@Thethaiger: please make a correction of that, because it confuses many people around the globe. ;o)

6 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

That's why you turn lights on when it gets dark. Use your brain 

Hm...I hope you feel better with that comment..👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gundam0315 said:

the global elite do not want peasants to travel freely....

Only the rich and wealthy have the time/money/energy to move freely it seems.

Fair comment, @gundam0315and welcome to Thaiger Talk where, I suspect, you're going to be kept quite busy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1