News Forum - Thailand News Update | No more test & go in Thailand, Omicron update

Thaiger

Registration closed at midnight last night for travellers wishing to enter Thailand under the Test & Go quarantine exemption programme and the Sandbox entry scheme, with the exception of Phuket. Super Typhoon Rai’s official death toll has risen to 375. A five year old girl was shot and killed while she was playing with her cousins at the village chief’s house in Kanchanaburi, western Thailand. 31 Thais who returned from a pilgrimage to the Islamic holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, and arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport on December 15 have now been found to have been infected with the […]

The story Thailand News Update | No more test & go in Thailand, Omicron update as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Who couldn't see the closure of Test and Go coming? Predictable.... But Phuket being left out of the equation was positive...at least for me and my girl...at least for now. I totally understand the caution, but the reality is whether people have Covid or not, not which country they come from.

• Like 1

All these rule changes are driving me crazy.

To add to this, I am having problems with my bank rejecting most purchases I make online. To get round this, I've substituted my wife's name as the CC holder, but now, even that is not working for me

I have a trip booked to arrive Jan 2nd  for Phuket sandbox scheme. Following yesterday's announcement, I decided to try to clarify the latest rules, and managed to find the updated news on the Thai Embassy website in Vienna, which are tri-lingual including English.

The rules seemed clear enough until I carried on reading. The site also included previous versions. The problem I have is that the site does not state which rules are still in force. and which have been rescinded if any. One that I came across requires that my vax cert shows both vaxxes 1 of 2 and 2 of 2. My cert only shows 2 of 2.

Unable to find an answer, I decided to spend $100 with Siam Legal who will take care of the Sandbox application. Go to pay the $100 using my wife's identity and it is declined. Try to use my own card, and I get a message, "Failed-Card-Lost-Or-Card-Stolen". Try to contact Siam Legal using their online form, and the CAPTCHA, which is clearly visible, is repeatedly rejected. During the meantime, I have two email accounts, and for some strange reason, on one of them, every message I am sending to people I know in TH is bouncing. 

As I write, I am sitting at home waiting for the bank to open so I can at least sort that problem. But I am also wondering, why can't TH do what many countries do when they update rules and regs, either rewrite the entire text, or state that rule XYZ that was previously in force, no longer applies?

During the meantime, if anybody knows (rather than guesses) whether my current digital vax cert is valid, I'd be grateful for a link that clarifies this.

12 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

During the meantime, if anybody knows (rather than guesses) whether my current digital vax cert is valid, I'd be grateful for a link that clarifies this.

Does your vax cert give the two batch numbers of both doses, if not tough cookie.

59 minutes ago, Shark said:

Does your vax cert give the two batch numbers of both doses, if not tough cookie.

No. It's a digital version that is standard throughout the EU. Here is the text of it with the Irish language included.

Has any recent travellers to TH from the EU encountered this problem? If so, I'd be grateful for any input.

Vaccination Certificate Deimhniú Vacsaínithe Disease or agent targeted: COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 or one of its variants) Galar a ghnóthaigh an duine seo (SARS-CoV-2 nó ceann dá leaganacha)

COVID-19 vaccine or prophylaxis Vacsaín nó próifiolacsas

COVID-19 SARS-CoV-2 antigen vaccine COVID-19 vaccine medicinal product Táirge íocshláinte vacsaín

COVID-19 Vaxzevria COVID-19 vaccine marketing authorisation holder or manufacturer Údarú margaíochta vacsaín COVID-19 sealbhóir nó monaróir AstraZeneca AB

Number in a series of doses as well as the overall number of doses in the series Líon i sraith dáileoga chomh maith le líon foriomlán na dáileoga sa tsraith

2 / 2

Date of vaccination, indicating the date of the latest dose received Dáta an vacsaínithe, ag léiriú an dáta an dáileog is déanaí a fuarthas 2021-07-01

Member State in which the vaccine was administered Tír ina tugadh an vacsaín Ireland

Certificate issuer Eisitheoir teastais Department of Health Ireland

1 hour ago, JohninDublin said:

To add to this, I am having problems with my bank rejecting most purchases I make online. To get round this, I've substituted my wife's name as the CC holder, but now, even that is not working for me

I have a trip booked to arrive Jan 2nd  for Phuket sandbox scheme. Following yesterday's announcement, I decided to try to clarify the latest rules, and managed to find the updated news on the Thai Embassy website in Vienna, which are tri-lingual including English.

The rules seemed clear enough until I carried on reading. The site also included previous versions. The problem I have is that the site does not state which rules are still in force. and which have been rescinded if any. One that I came across requires that my vax cert shows both vaxxes 1 of 2 and 2 of 2. My cert only shows 2 of 2.

Unable to find an answer, I decided to spend $100 with Siam Legal who will take care of the Sandbox application. Go to pay the $100 using my wife's identity and it is declined. Try to use my own card, and I get a message, "Failed-Card-Lost-Or-Card-Stolen". Try to contact Siam Legal using their online form, and the CAPTCHA, which is clearly visible, is repeatedly rejected. During the meantime, I have two email accounts, and for some strange reason, on one of them, every message I am sending to people I know in TH is bouncing. 

As I write, I am sitting at home waiting for the bank to open so I can at least sort that problem. But I am also wondering, why can't TH do what many countries do when they update rules and regs, either rewrite the entire text, or state that rule XYZ that was previously in force, no longer applies?

John I was having problems using my UK card here in Thailand. 

What I did was looked at their complaints process and filled out a form detailing the issues I was having along with my contact number here in Thailand.

Withing 8 hours the bank phoned me!

After talking for some 30 mins giving details the bank sorted the problem out and credited my account with 35 quid as an apology. You might want to try that yourself.

Happy days.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

No. It's a digital version that is standard throughout the EU. Here is the text of it with the Irish language included.

Has any recent travellers to TH from the EU encountered this problem? If so, I'd be grateful for any input.

Vaccination Certificate Deimhniú Vacsaínithe Disease or agent targeted: COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 or one of its variants) Galar a ghnóthaigh an duine seo (SARS-CoV-2 nó ceann dá leaganacha)

COVID-19 SARS-CoV-2 antigen vaccine COVID-19 vaccine medicinal product Táirge íocshláinte vacsaín

COVID-19 Vaxzevria COVID-19 vaccine marketing authorisation holder or manufacturer Údarú margaíochta vacsaín COVID-19 sealbhóir nó monaróir AstraZeneca AB

Number in a series of doses as well as the overall number of doses in the series Líon i sraith dáileoga chomh maith le líon foriomlán na dáileoga sa tsraith

2 / 2

Date of vaccination, indicating the date of the latest dose received Dáta an vacsaínithe, ag léiriú an dáta an dáileog is déanaí a fuarthas 2021-07-01

Member State in which the vaccine was administered Tír ina tugadh an vacsaín Ireland

I haven't entered but on Thailands International form it shows both doses date + batch no.'s. Guess they want something similar.

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

John I was having problems using my UK card here in Thailand. 

What I did was looked at their complaints process and filled out a form detailing the issues I was having along with my contact number here in Thailand.

Withing 8 hours the bank phoned me!

After talking for some 30 mins giving details the bank sorted the problem out and credited my account with 35 quid as an apology. You might want to try that yourself.

Happy days.

Thanks for the tip. Just to let you know, this year I've made 3 complaints about customer service online. The last two were not even responded to.

I tried to complain about my current issues on line. Filled out the form. Wrote about 250 words describing my issues. Hit send, and a message popped up on screen, "Prove you are not a bot". Normally, this message is accompanied by a "checkbox". No checkbox. Another waste of my declining time. Couldn't send the message.

2 hours ago, Shark said:

I haven't entered but on Thailands International form it shows both doses date + batch no.'s. Guess they want something similar.

Thanks for the input. The EU form is as described. I do have a card with all that info on, but it is not in Digital format.

2 hours ago, Rain said:

All these changes could have a positive mark with a silver lining. 

The less Farang [residents/tourists] the more beneficial for the society. 

And you are what, honorary farang exception? 🤣

9 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

Thanks for the tip. Just to let you know, this year I've made 3 complaints about customer service online. The last two were not even responded to.

I tried to complain about my current issues on line. Filled out the form. Wrote about 250 words describing my issues. Hit send, and a message popped up on screen, "Prove you are not a bot". Normally, this message is accompanied by a "checkbox". No checkbox. Another waste of my declining time. Couldn't send the message.

Sorry to hear that mate. I'm with TSB. If you are getting crap service it may be worth considering changing banks.

To give some idea, how poorly managed this is, I've just been to see if I can navigate this on my own, or find answers. I see "Urgent Announcement" an extract of which states: 

"Starting 22 December 2021

The registration for the Phuket Sandbox is temporarily suspended due to a system update to comply with the revised regulations concerning two RT-PCR requirements for travelers entering Phuket Sandbox (fees to be borne by travelers)."

The emphasis at the end is my own. I have seen from several sources, that travellers are only required to fund the first of these. And this is on a TH gov site.

https://tp.consular.go.th/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Sorry to hear that mate. I'm with TSB. If you are getting crap service it may be worth considering changing banks.

I have a business which is mainly cash, and just like the UK, the High St Banks here are closing branches. There are two main High St Bank Chains, Bank of Ireland and Allied Irish Bank. Several years ago, I had an account with BoI, I was taking a client to lunch and when I went to pay for the meal, my card was declined even though I had a five figure sum in the account in cleared funds and was awaiting clearance of an even bigger cheque. I lost the client after agreeing a deal with him, and was embarrassed when he had to pay for lunch. The bank later admitted they had accidentally confused the cleared funds with the uncleared funds. I changed banks because of this.

AIB where I am currently, has a larger branch network. However because I withdraw large sums of cash, I need to use the car and this presents the problem of parking in a city where road management is not world class, and cars are discouraged. They have shut down two of the three branches near to where I live that have customer parking recently.

After that the next largest is Permanent TSB, Nearest branch is about half hour drive, and they have no reciprocal arrangements with other banks to honour each other's ATM cards.

The further you go down the list, the more difficult it becomes, but if I don't have access to cash, I will lose 90% of my business. I'm screwed whatever I do, and that is why I think that banks don't really care about poor service. I think the mindset is, "You can have poor service with us, or you can have poor service with them",

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

Why not go to the Maldives? Also a tropical paradise, shorter flight, much less bullshit to deal with, clear rules, and this current mega-corrupt, undemocratic Thai govt. won't be ousted until the peoples pain is much greater, so in the long term, you're helping make a better Thailand by voting with your money!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Zorba_the_Geek said:

Why not go to the Maldives? Also a tropical paradise, shorter flight, much less bullshit to deal with, clear rules, and this current mega-corrupt, undemocratic Thai govt. won't be ousted until the peoples pain is much greater, so in the long term, you're helping make a better Thailand by voting with your money!

Yes, well, have a stunning time and write as soon as possible, 'cos soon you'll be flooded out! 😀

4 hours ago, Rain said:

All these changes could have a positive mark with a silver lining. 

The less Farang [residents/tourists] the more beneficial for the society. 

You obviously don't depend on a source of income generated by the tourist trade. I am always amazed how arrogant people can be, especially when they are in a privileged position. I assume that you live in Thailand and consider your presence here as beneficial to the Thai society.

1 hour ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

And you are what, honorary farang exception? 🤣

I think he's taking the mickey. Out of the current monkeys in boots pretending to be a democratically elected parliament.

5 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

2 / 2

I have a digital certificate for each vaccin I got. AZ 1/2, AZ2/2, Pfizer 3/3.
That is on the Belgian Covidsafe application
Also on my health info of the Belgian gouvernment there are 3 vaccinations noted and I can download all thee

Edited by Alavan

1 hour ago, Zorba_the_Geek said:

Already booked my flight.

1 hour ago, Alavan said:

I have a digital certificate for each vaccin I got. AZ 1/2, AZ2/2, Pfizer 3/3.
That is on the Belgian Covidsafe application
Also on my health info of the Belgian gouvernment there are 3 vaccinations noted and I can download all thee

Thanks for your input. I guess Ireland must be doing something, even though the cert carries the EU logo

Just to update anyone interested in my situation, I have decided that with all the complexities, uncertainties and internet problems I seem to be having with my trip, to use Siam Legal to process my application, cost $100 https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-pass.php#package1

I've advised them of all my difficulties including the vax cert problem and arranging the PCR test.

I was unaware the test had to be booked through the hotel. Trying to find an email address or tel no for the hotel is extremely difficult. I booked through Agoda, and my previous experience of trying to obtain this info from them is they never will co-operate. I suspect they are worried that I might try to strike a new deal with the hotel behind Agoda's back is the reason for this. Siam legal have given me a link to a website that carries out these tests: http://www.thailandpsas.com/  At time of writing, the site is offline while they update it to comply with the recent rule changes. However, I can clearly see a refund button, so that's encouraging.

Arranging Insurance has also been a prob. I checked with several Thai sites. One declined me because of underlying health issues. I would have gladly foregone cover for these issues if only it were possible to speak to somebody. Two others I had problems with because again, I could not get my CC to work on their sites. I eventually decided to try closer to home and found a site in Ireland that provided single trip cover for my 23 days including all the usual benefits such as curtailment, loss of luggage, personal liability etc and health cover including covid to the tune of €20 million. I opted out of the pre-existing conditions cover. Cost €39.99 (about THB 1500). As Thaiger promotes cover for Covid, I will not mention the Insurers name, but they are a multi-national biz. If anybody wants their name PM me.

I should have all the necessary docs collated by lunch-time. For those interested watch this space. 

12 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

Just to update anyone interested in my situation, I have decided that with all the complexities, uncertainties and internet problems I seem to be having with my trip, to use Siam Legal to process my application, cost $100 https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-pass.php#package1

I've advised them of all my difficulties including the vax cert problem and arranging the PCR test.

I was unaware the test had to be booked through the hotel. Trying to find an email address or tel no for the hotel is extremely difficult. I booked through Agoda, and my previous experience of trying to obtain this info from them is they never will co-operate. I suspect they are worried that I might try to strike a new deal with the hotel behind Agoda's back is the reason for this. Siam legal have given me a link to a website that carries out these tests: http://www.thailandpsas.com/  At time of writing, the site is offline while they update it to comply with the recent rule changes. However, I can clearly see a refund button, so that's encouraging.

Arranging Insurance has also been a prob. I checked with several Thai sites. One declined me because of underlying health issues. I would have gladly foregone cover for these issues if only it were possible to speak to somebody. Two others I had problems with because again, I could not get my CC to work on their sites. I eventually decided to try closer to home and found a site in Ireland that provided single trip cover for my 23 days including all the usual benefits such as curtailment, loss of luggage, personal liability etc and health cover including covid to the tune of €20 million. I opted out of the pre-existing conditions cover. Cost €39.99 (about THB 1500). As Thaiger promotes cover for Covid, I will not mention the Insurers name, but they are a multi-national biz. If anybody wants their name PM me.

I should have all the necessary docs collated by lunch-time. For those interested watch this space. 

Something seems against your trip. Maybe they don't need you as much as you want to come. Hope you aren't stuck in quarantine. 

• Like 1