News Forum - Poll shows most Thais fear New Year celebrations will spark another Covid wave

Thaiger

A Department of Health poll shows that most Thais are worried that New Year celebrations will spark another wave of Covid-19 infections. In particular, they cite an outbreak of the Omicron variant as a major cause for concern. According to a Bangkok Post report, department chief Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai says the mass movement of people during the holiday period has the potential to spark a surge in infections. He says people must keep their guard up and continue to adhere to disease prevention measures. “The ministry’s concern about mass gatherings during the New Year festival is no different from the latest […]

The story Poll shows most Thais fear New Year celebrations will spark another Covid wave as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 2

They are right to be concerned about holiday migration after all it was the PM's failure that allowed the first spread nation wide after he allowed a holiday migration. 

Millions of people driving all over the place and then returning , what would you expect the result to be ?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

Millions of people driving all over the place and then returning , what would you expect the result to be ?

The result will be 10000x more will be injured or killed in road accidents than from covid. Enough with nonsense, if you are scared STAY HOME.

• Like 4

A surge in National infections would no doubt directly impact on any re-introduction of the Tourist Schemes later on.

It's a case of shooting the Countries recovery in the foot yet again it seems. 

• Like 1

Just now, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

The result will be 10000x more will be injured or killed in road accidents than from covid. Enough with nonsense, if you are scared STAY HOME.

I'm not sure how pointing out Covid spreading in the holiday get away is nonsense as the article shows Thais appear to agree on the same thing. 

Covid infections are clearly more of a concern than the road accidents which are of no concern to the average person unless directly involved. 

And by the way I live here already and have done for some years now . I will be celebrating the New Year at home thanks. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

Covid infections are clearly more of a concern than the road accidents which are of no concern to the average person unless directly involved.

Covid infections are of no concern to me unless I or someone I know is affected (2 years in I know nobody who has been seriously hurt or killed)

3 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

They are right to be concerned about holiday migration after all it was the PM's failure that allowed the first spread nation wide after he allowed a holiday migration. 

i bet you drive with a face mask on in the car, alone don't you?

They fear for the wrong reasons.

That what is sparking omicron into the population is the still ongoing test and go version of the Thailand pass.

You test negative on arrival, so you have the days before the second test or before symtoms, to bring it everywhere you are  going.

We still are in a country, where most restaurants may distance the people/groups from each other, but where the patloms/fans are doing the connecting. For the aerosols

Even the McDonald near Phuket Central has installed one of the commercial wall fans, to get the air better around than even the aircon could do.

Edited by Guest1

1 hour ago, gundam0315 said:

i bet you drive with a face mask on in the car, alone don't you?

No but I do live in a small village with many Isaan families who include the elderly and frail and I have no doubt a wave of covid would carry half of them off should it come to the village. 

As for driving with a mask yes when other villagers in the vehicle but no when alone .  I have consideration for others in my local Community. 

3 hours ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

Covid infections are of no concern to me unless I or someone I know is affected (2 years in I know nobody who has been seriously hurt or killed)

That's good for you then I am sure many wish they could say the same 

Shows you how concerned the Health Minister is regarding inoculating when a inoculating Center is allowed to close for 5 day's over Christmas and into the new year in BKK. That's why Thai's are struggling to get  jabbed. Sod them we want to spend time with our family's seams the motto  just tell them were injecting millions. I can only go on Data supplied by our Government in the UK, we have now inoculated 30 Million with the Booster shot to beat Omicron. As usual the Thai Government has not listened to the warning's about the speed this variant travels. Instead of upping the vaccine count  you ere happy to allow Centers like this to close for a short time when you should be doing more. Once Omicron begins running rampant and it will who will you blame. You have been warned a Tsunami of Omicron is heading your way and your ignoring the warning.