As close as I can get to gardening!!!

anarchofarmer

Amongst the multitudinous "experts" on this site I'm hoping these is an expert on grow lamps! Got a few from lazada (only had "white light") and they've been running for a few weeks now. My query is why have the tomato plants under them grown to over 7 feet? With no sign of fruit. The last few I got for greens are a nice warm katoy pink!

4 minutes ago, anarchofarmer said:

Amongst the multitudinous "experts" on this site I'm hoping these is an expert on grow lamps! Got a few from lazada (only had "white light") and they've been running for a few weeks now. My query is why have the tomato plants under them grown to over 7 feet? With no sign of fruit. The last few I got for greens are a nice warm katoy pink!

Because its not tomato plants.

Its cannabis.

• 1 year later...

From my personal experience with grow lamps, I've encountered a similar situation with my tomato plants. Despite running the lamps for weeks, my plants grew excessively tall, reaching over 7 feet, without showing any signs of fruit. After some research, I discovered that the white light emitted by the lamps might not provide the specific wavelengths needed for fruiting. Adjusting the light spectrum to include more red wavelengths helped stimulate fruit production in my tomato plants. Additionally, as I have a cat ( https://learnaboutcat.com/ ) and need to take care of my yard, I can only grow specific plants indoors, making it crucial to optimize the conditions for successful growth. This experience has taught me the importance of selecting the right grow lamps and ensuring proper environmental factors to meet the specific needs of my plants.

Edited by GarthHundson

• 5 months later...

Concerning 'Tomatoes' : Do any of you guys ever try out with growing Tomatillos/Tomato Trees, down there ?  Apparently, they have success with these over in India, but these plants seem to be lacking in the Garden Flora further East.

And then I'm not big on vegetable-culture, myself. But many years ago a 'Dedicated Tomato-grower' invited me into his greenhouse and wanted me to explain..."why he all of a sudden had become unable to grow Tomatoes AT ALL" !

Well, while we were discussing this sad situation, I suddenly noticed that the guy took out his tobacco-wallet, to prepare to make his own cigarette. And when I commented on this, he now started explaining how he had since last garden-season started with smoking his cigarettes inside his Tomato-greenhouse, in an effort to "kill off the Tomato-aphids", in there.

And...now I suddenly recalled having read how ALL TOBACCO-PLANTS HAPPENS TO BE INFECTED WITH A PARTICULAR KIND OF "LATENT PARVO-VIRUS" : A virus which doesn't affect the Tobacco-plants themselves, but which may damage and kill off other members of the Nightshade Family (i.a. Tomatoes), if transmitted.

Then the worst part of this story is that...THIS 'PARVO-VIRUS' ACTUALLY IS SO ROBUST THAT IT EVEN SURVIVES INSIDE THE TOBACCO-PLANT LEAVES WHEN THESE ARE PROCESSED INTO 'SMOKING-TOBACCO'. And so, when you get this smoking-tobacco on your fingers - i.e. by rolling your own cigarettes...THERE IS A SERIOUS RISK THAT YOU MAY TRANSMIT THIS VIRUS ONTO THE LIVING PLANTS YOU MAY HAPPEN TO TOUCH NEXT !!  Which meant that my Tomato-grower Garden-friend - when he started with preparing & smoking his own cigarettes inside his greenhouse - NOW ACCIDENTALLY HAD STARTED TO INFECT HIS PRECIOUS TOMATOES WITH A DEADLY VIRUS-DISEASE WHEN HE STARTED TOUCHING THEM NEXT...WHICH NOW SUBSEQUENTLY STARTED KILLING OF ALL HIS PLANTS !

And perhaps this information doesn't happen to be 'Common Knowledge' among gardeners out in Thailand & S.E. Asia, but...NOW YOU ARE WARNED - !