News Forum - Tourism operators express frustration over rumours Test & Go may be dropped

Thaiger

Thailand’s tourism operators have expressed frustration and concern over the possibility that the Test & Go entry scheme could be scrapped. However, Yuthasak Supasorn from the Tourism Authority of Thailand has rushed to reassure them, pointing out that nothing has been decided yet and that all viewpoints will be taken into consideration. “We still have to hear from the CCSA about the final decision this week. The CCSA has stated clearly it plans to listen to all stakeholders carefully before nailing down a decision.” Despite the TAT’s assurances, tourism operators are nervous. According to a Bangkok Post report, Marisa Sukosol […]

The story Tourism operators express frustration over rumours Test & Go may be dropped as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I have tremendous sympathy for the Tourism Operators; monies (which they don't have) have been spent to re-open and closing and/or limiting too much will just kill them off for good.

I understand that Omicron is a very serious issue, but given that it is already here, making entry too difficult doesn't make sense. Sure, tighten a bit here and there, but if it isn't easy for people to come, they won't come.

Every Thai that I know who works in the tourism industry is drowning in debt and has re-scheduled everything to come due just after Songkran, i.e. just at the end of high season. If they don't have at least some cash, many, many, many houses, cars, condos, businesses, wives and daughters are going to be lost.

• Like 4

seems like name of the game is to starve thai people into submitting to a harsh rule.i feel very bad for the thai people being beat down with all these lock downs.its time i think to learn to live with it as we do the flu.people cant beexpected to do this lock downs for years to come.

• Like 3

If that's the case, they need to change the PCR-testing result to within 24 hours of departure & a booster shot on vaccine certificate because from what I read is only Pfizer or Moderna are highly effected vs Omicron variant at 80-85%. Not due for booster shot for me the next 2 months.

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

However, Yuthasak Supasorn from the Tourism Authority of Thailand has rushed to reassure them

That it will be replaced by ….. Test & Go - Home!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farang said:

seems like name of the game is to starve thai people into submitting to a harsh rule.i feel very bad for the thai people being beat down with all these lock downs.its time i think to learn to live with it as we do the flu.people cant be expected to do this lock downs for years to come.

First of all we have had shutdowns of businesses and public places.  Lock downs means you cannot leave home to go get groceries or medicines IMO.   OK the curfew at night was technically a lock down,  but very few people need to travel at night in all fairness and emergencies and medical travel was still allowed

Yes some businesses and Thai people are harmed and starving in the last 18 months.  

Remember the wise words from Spock  “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”  

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I have tremendous sympathy for the Tourism Operators; monies (which they don't have) have been spent to re-open and closing and/or limiting too much will just kill them off for good.

I understand that Omicron is a very serious issue, but given that it is already here, making entry too difficult doesn't make sense. Sure, tighten a bit here and there, but if it isn't easy for people to come, they won't come.

Every Thai that I know who works in the tourism industry is drowning in debt and has re-scheduled everything to come due just after Songkran, i.e. just at the end of high season. If they don't have at least some cash, many, many, many houses, cars, condos, businesses, wives and daughters are going to be lost.

Clearly we always disagree on pratically everything, however your comment here is simply common sense. I would add that apart from the multitude of Thai people getting slowly (or rapidly) at the end of the road, with consequences that will ruin many many lives (for those that are not already in that state), I also know quite a few farangs living here, who have had businesses here for years and are in the same situation. In fact, I know also quite a few who have had no other choice than to go back to Europe... completely broke!! 4 of them being friends of mine. Re-starting your life in a country you left 10/15/20 years ago or even longer for some, when you are 40, 50 or over is not very nice, to say the least.

The thing is the ones who are making these decisions, in Thailand but everywhere really, political decisions rather than health ones, have completely lost touch with the "real" people. All these decisions never impact them on a daily bases because they are the elites and clearly the gap between them and the "real" people is becoming more obvious now in case you did not realise that previous to covid. Not sure what could be the way out of it now if there is any at all.

• Like 3