30 days visa extension or 60 days covid extension. Need an advice.

Zmicier

On 12/20/2021 at 7:35 PM, Faz said:

You'll need to complete form TM7 and an affidavit.

Thank you Faz for uploading the documents.

On the "60 Day Covid Extension Affidavit" pdf it asks for a reason:

1) I am not permitted to enter the destination country or the pandemic situation of COVID-19 is still ongoing.

2) The embassy/consulate is unable to issue the letter of confirmation and request for temporary stay.

3) No return flight or airline available.

4)  Others.

Is it enough to just check #1 because: "the pandemic situation of COVID-19 is still ongoing." ?

In other words, do they really care what your reason is?

Thank you.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mlondon said:

Is it enough to just check #1 because: "the pandemic situation of COVID-19 is still ongoing." ?

Yes.
If you leave it blank I understand that's the reason Immigration will tick on your behalf.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

HI Faz,

Just to update those interested in my experience at Chiang Mai immigration. 

I applied for the 60 day covid extension but this was rejected and i was given the standard 30 days on my TV. 

I asked if i could return before the 25th January and apply for the Covid extension. They said yes but of course that is no guarantee that it will be approved.

I have not heard whether the 25th January will be extended,  as the pandemic is deepening it would appear logical to do so, though logic of course is a rare commodity in immigration offices. 

I will try again before the 25th and report back on my progress.

Thanks once again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 11:17 AM, Faz said:

All extension of stay applications are a fixed price of 1,900 BHT, regardless of whether for 30, 60, 90 or 365 days.

Is it possible to extend more than three months (90 days)? Any tips please. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Coco said:

Is it possible to extend more than three months (90 days)? Any tips please. 

On the basis of retirement, yes, subject to age and financial requirements.

As a tourist, no, other than Covid extensions whilst available.
STV from a Thai Embassy another option.

• Like 1

So I went to Chiang Mai immigration this morning to apply for a 60 day Covid extension ….arrived early (7.45am) but still number 25 in the queue 

After 2.5 hours of waiting I finally get my passport back, but with an extension only until 3rd Feb (15 days). When i queried this I was told that I would need to come back in 15 days, at which point I will be given an additional 45 days

Anyone had the same issue? Anyone have any explanation for this insanity?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Faz said:

Yes, it's arisen before, but only certain offices applying a requirement to return.
Did they give you an 'under consideration' stamp.

Yup - under consideration stamp. Seems completely pointless as there was no request for evidence of sufficient funds or proof of a flight home (I have both)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spengler said:

Yup - under consideration stamp. Seems completely pointless as there was no request for evidence of sufficient funds or proof of a flight home (I have both)

Great example of how to decrease overcrowding and maintain social distancing - Thai logic!

• Like 2

Spengler, 

Your experience at Chiang Mai immigration appears to be consistent with some of the activities i witnessed on the 13th January. First  i noticed that a number of applicants appeared to be given a 15 day extension with a requirement to return. This did not happen to me because my application for a covid extension was refused ( or rather, ignored) and i was given the standard 30 day extension to my tourist visa. Secondly in relation to waiting time. I arrived at 1000 but by the time i had completed the forms and had them checked by the volunteers i was told to return again after 1300. I was finally given the extension at 1430. 

it seems to me that the only explanation for the 15 day only extension is to discourage applications. There seems to be an inherent reluctance to grant these easily  in Chiang Mai.

I have to decide now whether to apply to Chiang Mai for a covid extension before the 25th or perhaps try my luck elsewhere. Its complicated because my present tourist extension expires on the 27th February. How a 15 day extension would  fit into this i do not know.

I am hoping against hope that the deadline is still to be extended beyond 25th January!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mass said:

I have to decide now whether to apply to Chiang Mai for a covid extension before the 25th or perhaps try my luck elsewhere. Its complicated because my present tourist extension expires on the 27th February. How a 15 day extension would  fit into this i do not know.

I am hoping against hope that the deadline is still to be extended beyond 25th January!

An 'under consideration' stamp permits you to stay whilst they 'consider' your application.
You cannot be on overstay. If refused (which it won't) they'd issue you a 7 days extension to leave the Country.

CM obviously have a big ego and needlessly flexing their muscles IMO.

• Like 2

I’d like to share my experience getting a Visa Extension a couple of days ago also.

**** In short 30 day was granted, 60 day Covid extension WILL be rejected if you haven’t used up your 30 day, and a lot of people were being given serious warnings that they may not get further tourist extensions, where they’ve been here 1-2 years due to Covid border closures ****

Went to Thai Immigration in Muang Thong Thani.

You HAVE TO go here for extension applications if you are in Bangkok. It’s pretty far away north of city! And the building is sort of hard to find … look for the line of taxis all the way at the end of the block/driveway/allotment. Left hand side building when facing from road entrance (there are 3 buildings. It’s the one furthest left but tucked behind the middle building).

Closing is at 4pm, but you need to have all your documents checked in Queue 1 and 2, and get another ticket for Queue 3 BEFORE 3:30pm … process takes around 1-2 hours. So best to be in there by 2pm latest (I was lucky, got in at 2:30pm but there were only a dozen people … so I got into Queue 3 by 3pm).

So you enter building and take elevator to Level 3.

Queue 1 (0 mins or 15mins):

First Queue is guy at a desk who’ll ask you for your passport and check your paperwork. He’s pretty surly if you’re not prepared. Just give him your passport and hopefully your completed paperwork. If you’re prepared he’s actually pretty nice.

Paperwork is (1) a filled in TM7; he IMMEDIATELY rejected my Covid Affidavit Form (need use my 30 day before applying for 60 day Covid extension). You also need (2) a photocopy of your passport Photo page and facing page. (3) Photocopy of your passport visa stamp page. (4) Photocopy of your white exit card (he said front and back, but I only did front and it was fine). (5) a passport size photo (I only needed 1, though they say bring 2).

Missing any of these and you’ll be sent to the copy/drink shop on level 1. Where there may be a further <15min queue.

Queue 2 (30 mins - 1 hrs)

Once you get past the guy at the desk, you’ll get a number. Expect to wait awhile. There were about 15 people ahead of me in this queue. Took me about 40mins.

When you’re called, they’ll check your paperwork again. Dunno why. Then you’re immediately cleared and sent to the waiting room and Queue 3.

Queue 3 (1hr+):

Here is where the business happens. Most people are waiting in this area. It’s crowded (and I went in late late afternoon arriving here at 3pm). You wait to hand in your passport and get the extension stamped in.

Two things. Their English is a little difficult to understand. So don’t expect to be able to have to explain things or have a conversation if you don’t speak Thai (and don’t have a Thai speaking friend in hand).

Now I tried to ask again for the 60 day Covid extension. It was a straight out no. I’m pretty sure because I need to use my 30 day first. But I don’t know for sure, because I don’t speak Thai and the passport person’s English was very difficult to understand.

Once you hand in your passport, and pay THB 1900 (they give change for THB2k) you wait around again in the seating area, for your passport to be stamped and handed back. That takes another 30 mins, because they do the passports in big dozen batches. Listen carefully for your number to be called.

I noted that several people were told they’d not get further extensions next time, as they’d been here <1- 2 years due to Covid. One of them got told to come back in two weeks again for their extension.

That was it. Went in at 2:30pm and got out at 4:30pm, mid-week, and I’m pretty sure not as crowded as is usual.

Another thing is (first world problems) the buildings and waiting area have no air-con (just several fans in one place, leaving the rest of room hot), and it’s crowded, and hot. Bring water and wear light clothing. Because you’ll be waiting around in the hot room for at least an hour. And yeah, it’s a pretty good place to catch Covid (crowded, no ventilation, no social distancing), so wear a mask (there ***were*** a couple of older gentlemen not wearing masks btw).

Edited by PLoNiaLMoNi
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, PLoNiaLMoNi said:

I’d like to share my experience getting a Visa Extension a couple of days ago also.

**** In short 30 day was granted, 60 day Covid extension WILL be rejected if you haven’t used up your 30 day, and a lot of people were being given serious warnings that they may not get further tourist extensions, where they’ve been here 1-2 years due to Covid border closures ****

You extended your permission of stay, a permit, not a Visa.

It differs at various Immigration offices. Some are more than obliging to just issue the 60 day Covid extension in the first instance.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Faz said:

An 'under consideration' stamp permits you to stay whilst they 'consider' your application.
You cannot be on overstay. If refused (which it won't) they'd issue you a 7 days extension to leave the Country.

CM obviously have a big ego and needlessly flexing their muscles IMO.

I would never go back there on purpose unless I was using an agent to help.  

My experiences at other offices are night and day better. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, PLoNiaLMoNi said:

noted that several people were told they’d not get further extensions next time, as they’d been here <1- 2 years due to Covid. One of them got told to come back in two weeks again for their extension.

They've been saying this since the beginning. I was talking with a Thai homestay owner last night with foreign fiends who've been told this each time for 2 years

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Mass said:

Spengler, 

Your experience at Chiang Mai immigration appears to be consistent with some of the activities i witnessed on the 13th January. First  i noticed that a number of applicants appeared to be given a 15 day extension with a requirement to return. This did not happen to me because my application for a covid extension was refused ( or rather, ignored) and i was given the standard 30 day extension to my tourist visa. Secondly in relation to waiting time. I arrived at 1000 but by the time i had completed the forms and had them checked by the volunteers i was told to return again after 1300. I was finally given the extension at 1430. 

it seems to me that the only explanation for the 15 day only extension is to discourage applications. There seems to be an inherent reluctance to grant these easily  in Chiang Mai.

Enlist the help of an agent. Depending on where you might not have to go to immigration at all.

Of course it's not the cheapest avenue.

I am gambling and expecting it to be extended. As a Thai friend said they realize the safest foreigners are the ones already here. I hope.

Edited by MikeV
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeV said:

They've been saying this since the beginning. I was talking with a Thai homestay owner last night with foreign fiends who've been told this each time for 2 years

Foreign fiends?  You need to find better company. :-) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Foreign fiends?  You need to find better company. :-) 

Typo @Vince I'm sure, after all we're only human and even spell chuck doesn't pick up those kind of errors. 🙄

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Seba34e said:

Question: where can I check if thai government will extend the covid visa after January 25 (which is next Tuesday)??

As yet there hasn't been any official announcement to extending the cut of date for 60 day Covid extensions.

If you haven't already done so, you can apply for a 30 day extensions which your entitled to if you entered VE or TV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Faz for your reply. Unfortunately, I already applied for the 30-day visa extension. I even already have a 60-day covid visa approved until March 5, 2022. My intention is to renew for 2 more months in February. Waiting then for the news from the Thai immigration authorities...🙏

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I decided not to gamble and wait to see if the 25th January deadline will be extended, so i used an agency in Chiang Mai, figuring that if i did it myself and messed up there would not be sufficient time to rectify the situation. 

My experience was as follows. I rang the agency at 1300 yesterday. They said they could get me an extension for 60 days on top of my present 30 day tourist extension. They also said that there would not be any 14 day under consideration period if they made the application on my behalf. on the basis of this information i agreed to instruct them and was told to rush to their office before 1330. once there the necessary forms were completed and  i was told to meet the agent at the immigration office at 1430 for a 1500 appointment. while waiting at the office i received a call from the agents office saying that i would not actually be granted 60 days on top of my tourist extension (28th February) and that the 60 days would expire 60 days from today ie the 21st March. i made it clear that i was unhappy as this was not what they had promised, however i agreed to proceed on that basis. in fact when i was 'interviewed'  at 1500 the passport was shown to me with the 21st March and also the 29th April- the date i was effectively promised at the outset. i said i was very happy and left at 1510. i  presumed that the agent had managed to persuade the immigration officer to change the date. 

however having looked at the stamp in more detail its not clear whether the date which applies is indeed the 29th April, as this date appears to be crossed out and the initials of the immigration officer added. i am trying to seek clarification of this from the agent. 

• Thanks 1