30 days visa extension or 60 days covid extension. Need an advice.

Zmicier

Hi.

I entered Phuket at the beginning of November using tourist visa. So I got 60 days stay. In January I need to extend it and I need an advice how should I better do it.

As far as I understand, I can quite easily extend my stay for 30 days. However, I see that we have a new deadline for covid visa extension (25 of January) and then I can get 60 additional days. I wonder if it is easy to get covid stay extension? I'm Polish citizen and now it is difficult to return to my home country because of ridiculous rule to have a test in only 24 hours before arrival (my flight is 20.5 hours long with a transfer in Qatar). Also there is no official clarification if rapid antigen test is ok and there were cases on land borders when non-nationals with antigen test were refused to enter the country. Is there a chance to get 60 days covid extension in my case?

Also I would like to know when should I better apply for the extension (30 or 60 days) if my stay expires at 8-th of January?

I appreciate any help.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum @Zmicier

Most Immigration offices are very accommodating and will issue a 60 day Covid extension even before the standard 30 day extension your entitled to.
You'll need to complete form TM7 and an affidavit.
TM 7 Application for Extension of Stay.pdf   60 Day Covid Extension Affidavit.pdf

Passport.
Copies of passport photo page, TV, entry stamp, TM6.
2 of 4x6cm passport size photos.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Zmicier said:

Also I would like to know when should I better apply for the extension (30 or 60 days) if my stay expires at 8-th of January?

Usually 7 - 14 days before your current permission of stay expires.
I'd go week commencing 27th - 30th Dec.

I'm also fairly confident Immigration will extend the application period of Jan 25th for another 2 months again, until possibly March 25th 2022.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Faz said:

Usually 7 - 14 days before your current permission of stay expires.
I'd go week commencing 27th - 30th Dec.

Thank you very much! Could you tell me if I need to pay 1900 thb (or other amount of money) as in the case of 30 days stay extension?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zmicier said:

Thank you very much! Could you tell me if I need to pay 1900 thb (or other amount of money) as in the case of 30 days stay extension?

All extension of stay applications are a fixed price of 1,900 BHT, regardless of whether for 30, 60, 90 or 365 days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Raugh said:

60 day COVID extensions no longer allowed

Why do you think so? I see in news that the new deadline is 25-th on January.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recently visited (last week) Immigration for extension and was told by staff they were no longer offering 60 day COVID extensions. 30 day was approved.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Raugh said:

I recently visited (last week) Immigration for extension and was told by staff they were no longer offering 60 day COVID extensions. 30 day was approved.

You may be getting mixed up .

They give a 30 day extension first , before giving the 60 day Covid extension 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

Entirely possible and likely scenario.

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

Are you saying that on an inital VOA a person can get one 30 day extension then later apply for a 60 day covid extension? Basically allowing a 120 day stay?

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 9:13 PM, Raugh said:

Are you saying that on an inital VOA a person can get one 30 day extension then later apply for a 60 day covid extension? Basically allowing a 120 day stay?

Yes and then get another Covid extension after that as well

• Like 2

I arrived in Phuket on Sept 23 and just received my second 60 day Covid extension last Thursday. I didn't have to get the 30 day extension then 60 day, i just got two 60 day extensions so far.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 5:20 AM, Fluke said:

Just now, Durand said:

I arrived in Phuket on Sept 23 and just received my second 60 day Covid extension last Thursday. I didn't have to get the 30 day extension then 60 day, i just got two 60 day extensions so far.

On 12/25/2021 at 5:20 AM, Fluke said:

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 9:13 PM, Raugh said:

I think you mean Visa exempt entry.
Yes, I know a couple who arrived early 2020 VE and remained here since on Covid extension.
Currently you can apply up to Jan 25th, though I'm almost certain this will be further extended again after this date. Whilst land borders remain closed, the 60 day Covid extension scheme will continue.

Some Immigration offices insist you use the 30 day extension your entitled to first, whilst others are more laid back and will issue the 60 day Covid extension straight away.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Faz said:

I think you mean Visa exempt entry.
Yes, I know a couple who arrived early 2020 VE and remained here since on Covid extension.
Currently you can apply up to Jan 25th, though I'm almost certain this will be further extended again after this date. Whilst land borders remain closed, the 60 day Covid extension scheme will continue.

Some Immigration offices insist you use the 30 day extension your entitled to first, whilst others are more laid back and will issue the 60 day Covid extension straight away.

Faz, do you know what Jomtien do?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Faz, do you know what Jomtien do?

No sorry, even an individual IO may have a different opinion.
Truthfully it makes little difference. If they insist you take the 30 day extension first you can still apply for the 60 day Covid extension later. It is what it is.
It is however an advantage if you can get the 60 day extensions first off and save the 30 day extension as a 'banker' for when the 60 day Covid extensions cease.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hello Faz,

My due departure date stamped into my passport is the 27th January. I have read your previous posts and from them it would appear sensible to apply for a covid extension about two weeks before this. 

Can you indicate whether i need to provide any of the following? 

Insurance - esp covid insurance

A form from the condo or other proof of residence. 

Many thanks

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, Mass said:

Hello Faz,

Can you indicate whether i need to provide any of the following? 

Insurance - esp covid insurance

A form from the condo or other proof of residence. 

Many thanks

1. No Insurance requirement.

2. Have you or anyone else filed a TM30 for your place of residence already?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mass said:

Thank you Faz, I believe they may have but as it's an Airbnb, perhaps not. I will check with them. Your assistance is very much appreciated.

If it's Airbnb you don't even know who the owners are and very doubtful you'll be able to acquire a copy of the owners Tabien Baan and ID card that you'll need to register your address.
Do you have a rental contract?

• Like 1

I don't have a rental contract because it's a two week let through Airbnb. However I will be extending for at least a month so will discuss the issue with the owner. Thank you very much. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mass said:

I don't have a rental contract because it's a two week let through Airbnb. However I will be extending for at least a month so will discuss the issue with the owner. Thank you very much. 

Usually when registering an aliens place of residency, Immigration require a signed copies of the owners Tabien Baan and ID card, some request a rental contract as well.
Renting an airbnb is OK if you don't intend visiting an Immigration office.
Sometimes Condo's may have a juristic person who files the TM30's - check.

The 'get' around is to book a couple of days in a hotel, who should file a TM30.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1