News Forum - Thai officials to review list of low risk countries, possibly ban travellers from high risk

Thaiger

In addition to discussing whether to cancel the Test & Go quarantine exemption scheme due to the uptick in Omicron cases, the Thai government will also review its list of countries considered to be at low risk for Covid-19 and consider whether to ban travellers from high risk countries. Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told Thai media today that the ministry will make a proposal to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration to cancel the Test & Go entry scheme, which allows vaccinated travellers from approved countries to enter Thailand, with just a minimal isolation period upon arrival while they […]

The story Thai officials to review list of low risk countries, possibly ban travellers from high risk as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

11 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

In addition to discussing whether to cancel the Test & Go quarantine exemption scheme due to the uptick in Omicron cases, the Thai government will also review its list of countries considered to be at low risk for Covid-19 and consider whether to ban travellers from high risk countries. Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told Thai media today that the ministry will make a proposal to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration to cancel the Test & Go entry scheme, which allows vaccinated travellers from approved countries to enter Thailand, with just a minimal isolation period upon arrival while they […]

The story Thai officials to review list of low risk countries, possibly ban travellers from high risk as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What happens if they ban people from the UK and I'm already on a flight to Phuket tomorrow? 🤮 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

This means Europe and USA probably. The rest of us are safe.

• Like 2

I suppose I can understand the Thai Government would tighten restrictions against countries that have high Omicron cases. But there is a delicate balance here. Blanket shutdowns of foreign entry into Thailand would be devastating. Omicron will spread in Thailand. In my experience, it only takes one case to create an outbreak and that has already happened. So if the Thai Government, holds it's nerve, then tourists can keep coming and Omicron can be kept to a minimum. The reality is, we don't know enough about this new variant. Maybe it will be more deadly than Delta. maybe it will be the last throws of a virus that will become as common as the annual flu.

• Like 1

Surely it will have to be for people applying for entry from the time of new rules 

Travellers with a already authourised thai pass who are already or about to travel must be allowed under old rules which are more than enough to catch 99% of cases! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MAJS18 said:

Surely it will have to be for people applying for entry from the time of new rules 

Travellers with a already authourised thai pass who are already or about to travel must be allowed under old rules which are more than enough to catch 99% of cases! 

I sure hope so. 

26 minutes ago, JustaGuy said:

This means Europe and USA probably. The rest of us are safe.

And both have been high risk from the start, stemming from their societal mismanagement of the Covid Era.

All the while, continue to point fingers at the savage lesser than cultures, who've had it reasonably managed for some time. 

The irony.

4 minutes ago, Rain said:

And both have been high risk from the start, stemming from their societal mismanagement of the Covid Era.

All the while, continue to point fingers at the savage lesser than cultures, who've had it reasonably managed for some time. 

The irony.

Give over. High risk due to more testing. These” lesser savage cultures” don’t have it reasonably managed. They don’t test and don’t tell the truth. Don’t tell me a country like Thailand roughly the same population as the U.K. only as 3000 cases per day. Give your head a shake 

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, MAJS18 said:

Why?

That isn't the case in any other country, where the cut off date is the cut off regardless of any previous arrangements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rangers said:

What happens if they ban people from the UK and I'm already on a flight to Phuket tomorrow? 🤮 

Exactly what happened to a friend of mine who was in mid-flight coming here when Thailand first closed the airport last year.

Exactly as happens in every other country that sets a cut off date and people don't heed the warnings and carry on regardless.

Why should Thailand be the only country that feels sorry for tourists who are chancing their luck?

• Like 2

You would probably be sent back home 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Exactly what happened to a friend of mine who was in mid-flight coming here when Thailand first closed the airport last year.

Exactly as happens in every other country that sets a cut off date and people don't heed the warnings and carry on regardless.

Why should Thailand be the only country that feels sorry for tourists who are chancing their luck?

Chancing your luck after the decision is one thing, but if the decision is made while you are mid air then you wouldn't know. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I suppose I can understand the Thai Government would tighten restrictions against countries that have high Omicron cases. But there is a delicate balance here. Blanket shutdowns of foreign entry into Thailand would be devastating. Omicron will spread in Thailand. In my experience, it only takes one case to create an outbreak and that has already happened. So if the Thai Government, holds it's nerve, then tourists can keep coming and Omicron can be kept to a minimum. The reality is, we don't know enough about this new variant. Maybe it will be more deadly than Delta. maybe it will be the last throws of a virus that will become as common as the annual flu.

A single domestic case might not be enough to gain a foothold (there's always an element of chance). 
However, the virus only needs to be lucky once, whereas a country needs to be lucky every time.

One thing that is considered to be a certainty is that, once Omicron does have a foothold, spreading is bound to happen very fast and there's no way of preventing it from exceeding some predetermined minimum (unless that minimum is a huge percentage of the population). Whether that's a good or bad thing (taking its apparent mildness into account) is not yet clear so attempts to delay matters makes sense.

Having said that, delaying only makes sense if the time gained is spent on a providing a huge impetus to vaccinations/boosters, gaining knowledge, preventing potential super spreader events, etc. Thus far, I'm seeing recent local history (~2 years) repeat itself: a huge amount of effort to prevent in-bound infections but a more relaxed, wait-and-see approach to domestic infections.

But (quoting Linkin Park): in the end it doesn't really matter (you're probably right in giving it a good chance of becoming endemic).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rain said:

The irony.

"Irony"?

Don't you mean sheer hypocrisy, coupled with denial and ignorance when they bleat about a lack of testing even though one government panel after another has said that the tests have been a total failure and a complete waste of billions of pounds serial testing the wrong people?

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thai government will also review its list of countries considered to be at low risk for Covid-19

dudes, no such thing exist now

• Like 3

Chancing your luck after the decision is one thing, but if the decision is made while you are mid air then you wouldn't know. 

Well, that's how it is everywhere. 

Why should you expect Thailand to be different?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Well, that's how it is everywhere. 

Why should you expect Thailand to be different?

Nobody is asking anyone to be different, i was just asking what happens if a decision is made when you are mid air. I've never experienced it before so thought it was a simple question. 

Another day, another thread where Stonker attempts to argue with every Tom Dick and Harry. Do you ever get bored?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Rangers said:

Nobody is asking anyone to be different, i was just asking what happens if a decision is made when you are mid air. I've never experienced it before so thought it was a simple question. 

Another day, another thread where Stonker attempts to argue with every Tom Dick and Harry.

I answered it, as did others.

You just didn't like the answer and kept on bleating.

Up to you.

9 minutes ago, Rangers said:

Do you ever get bored?

Why do think I'm replying to you 😂?

Zero actual facts about omicron being anything other than a mild case. 

This ridiculous overreaction and fear mongering nonsense has been sold for far too long now and accepted by the sheep for far too long. 

3 hours ago, Rangers said:

You have to quarantine. Or to fly back with the very next flight, methinks

planning on going to thailand on the 11th of January 2022 from the UK. We were thinking about getting our flights ready for 26th December 2021. Do you think more restrictions will come into play by the thai government that will not make me travel???