News Forum - Southeast Asia sees only a trickle of international tourism

Thaiger

Southeast Asia, for decades a tourism hotspot, has been slowly reopening to international tourists, but despite cracking the door open, most countries are only seeing a trickle of tourism at best. Businesses in the tourism sector like hotels, tour guides and more saw their livelihoods destroyed by the Covid-19 pandemic and are eager to see international travellers returning. But the rules and restrictions and extra costs and various hoops are dampening enthusiasm and seeing numbers of arrivals reduced drastically. Plus, with the emergence of the Omicron variant, governments and authorities are constantly uncertain of what new restrictions and closures might […]

The story Southeast Asia sees only a trickle of international tourism as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

“But the rules and restrictions and extra costs and various hoops are dampening enthusiasm and seeing numbers of arrivals reduced drastically“ 

A battle between tourists trying to justify spending hard earned holiday money with a possibility 

of spending a substantial part of the time  in a Q room  and a Govt that has created new income streams for some well connected individuals and businesses that are making money hand over fist and may be unwilling to relinquish those restrictions.

• Like 4

Achieving herd immunity is the most crucial  step in giving people confidence that Covid is beaten and that it is safe to travel again. Until then, when the next variant appears it will trigger another repeat of lockdowns and dashed hopes. Get your own house in order before you invite people in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The process of world travel has changed substantially with many different confusing entry processes and formats to follow. If the tourist industry is to recover, countries need to streamline and standardise their entry requirements. The moment a holiday becomes a chore, it is no longer a holiday and clients will look towards other recreational solutions. International travel runs the risk of becoming elitist, for the chosen few and that won't be enough to reboot the tourist industry. Covid is already used as an excuse to sidestep client responsibilities and avoid delivering a reasonable service level and again this needs to be addressed to bring clients back to the industry.

• Like 4

When I go to Southeast Asia, I want to be able to move among three or at least two countries.To go through all these hoops and expenses every time I want to cross a border just makes it impossible for me. I will wait until the silly season has passed and travel is more open and less expensive. Also, as a senior citizen of 79 years I will not be able to get insurance, so I cannot go anyway. If things do not open up, I will never go back. I plan to go for 9 weeks next time, but when can I go??  Recently I have spent more than 5 months in S.E. Asia at a time. Us oldies can still travel so I might go to Spain to visit old friends. Laos should realize that travelers to their country are often from THailand or Vietnam and the current restrictions to enter Laos make it very expensive to cross a border into Laos. 

• Like 5

Every hoop that tourists needs to jump through puts them off coming to Thailand And of course there may be restrictions returning home as well. Until there are no restrictions on travelling then I don't think we will see the return of the good times. 

I am coming to Bangkok next week (for work reasons) and it is the first time that I am worried I will get Covid. When I do the PCR test next week I pray it is negative, otherwise I have to delay my trip. All my plans could change very quickly and it is a concern. I live in NZ and coming back is not actually a possibility. So it isn't all Thailand's fault for not getting tourists but people need certainty if they are going to travel for holidays. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, riclag said:

A battle between tourists trying to justify spending hard earned holiday money with a possibility 

of spending a substantial part of the time  in a Q room  and a Govt that has created new income streams for some well connected individuals and businesses that are making money hand over fist and may be unwilling to relinquish those restrictions.

... umm ... what about those people who just want as normal existence as possible, if necessary without tourists and tourism?

It's not just about tourists wanting a holiday 😂!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoFax said:

I am coming to Bangkok next week (for work reasons) and it is the first time that I am worried I will get Covid. When I do the PCR test next week I pray it is negative, otherwise I have to delay my trip. All my plans could change very quickly and it is a concern. I live in NZ and coming back is not actually a possibility. So it isn't all Thailand's fault for not getting tourists but people need certainty if they are going to travel for holidays. 

"Next week"?

A lot of things may have changed by then.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 11:28 AM, Stonker said:

"Next week"?

The good news is I made it but it looks like a lot might change over omicron even though it looks very mild. Hopefully, people don't panic. 

On 12/20/2021 at 12:28 PM, Stonker said:

"Next week"?

The uncertainty is causing alot of tourist or travellers to hold back. Rules change every day

6 hours ago, HiuMak said:

The uncertainty is causing alot of tourist or travellers to hold back. Rules change every day

So it's not all bad news, then 😂?

6 hours ago, NoFax said:

The good news is I made it but it looks like a lot might change over omicron even though it looks very mild. Hopefully, people don't panic. 

Good luck - hope it works out and was worth it, as it may be a problem going back to NZ or anywhere else.