News Forum - Thailand sees tourism dropping due to Omicron worries

Thaiger

Thailand is seeing a dip in new incoming tourists that Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn has said is the predictable side effect of the new Omicron variant of Covid-19. Since December 8, the number of daily international travellers entering Thailand has fallen to less than 3,000 people per day. Many are worried about the Omicron, which seems to be more transmissible than previous variants, though data suggests infections caused by the strain tend to be less severe. Travellers are choosing to cancel or postpone their travels, waiting until 2022, when hopefully we will have a better understanding of […]

The story Thailand sees tourism dropping due to Omicron worries as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

No one is scared of Omicron. Most people in my region forgot about COVID already, do not listen to the fear-mongering anymore and certainly will not accept any booster shots. They are finally realizing they were being played, while THE THAIGER still does what they are being paid for.

Like all of the people that came to Thailand are people with family or business connections or people that wanna stay long-term.

No real tourists come, they choose other places with less restrictions. Not just talking about entry restrictions, but who in his right mind want to make holiday in a place where masks are universal, when you can just go to Mexico or other free places? 

Thailand - The Land of the Free - a long time ago :/

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Preston said:

Omicron less severe?  That’s not what’s been reported in CNA and BBC today. 

Ah, the good old media. They wouldn't lie at all, would they. 😆 

The amount of guys here that have omicron and don't even know it is incredible. They basically have no symptoms whatsoever, none. And I include unvaxxed in there too. 

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, HighSo said:

who in his right mind want to make holiday in a place where masks are universal, when you can just go to Mexico or other free places? 

Don't make the mistake of assuming you represent the majority view. A country where mask wearing is universal is a desirable feature for me. I'd rather go somewhere people wear masks than to a place where they don't. Most of my family and social circle are the same. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand is seeing a dip in new incoming tourists that Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn has said is the predictable side effect of the new Omicron variant of Covid-19. Since December 8, the number of daily international travellers entering Thailand has fallen to less than 3,000 people per day. Many are worried about the Omicron, which seems to be more transmissible than previous variants, though data suggests infections caused by the strain tend to be less severe. Travellers are choosing to cancel or postpone their travels, waiting until 2022, when hopefully we will have a better understanding of […]

The story Thailand sees tourism dropping due to Omicron worries as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A simpler explanation is that the initial users of Thailand Pass were those "desperate to get back" individuals. Now yearly tourists, such as myself, are waiting until it is easier. As soon as they drop the test on arrival, I will book a flight. Some flights that I have looked at that are reasonably priced, have a no cancellation policy. Once arrival restrictions are lifted and Thailand proves that they will move forward and "live with it" without the threat of additional restrictions, then those of us who are not "desperate to  get back" may consider a trip. 

• Like 8

The sad fact is, that people or tourists in any meaningful numbers, are not going to jump through all the hoops.

They have consistently shown that they will not subject themselves to the Thai government's entry requirements. 

Who in their right mind would, and run the risk of being put in quarentine, just because you might have sat next to someone who may or may not be positive?

Way too many risks for not that much reward. The government need, if they want tourists  money, scrap all the nonsense!

It would be reasonable to ask that you are fully vaccinated with proof. Negative PCR taken in your own country 72 hours before departure. Proof of travel insurance.

Nothing else at all, and let adults make their own decisions.

If not, there will be no recovery,  and we'll  have all this hysteria every time the bloody thing mutates!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

A simpler explanation is that the initial users of Thailand Pass were those "desperate to get back" individuals.

This is the same thing that was said at the beginning of ASQ. It was the same thing said at the beginning of The Sandbox. And now it is being said at the beginning of Test & Go. Exactly how many people are desperate to get back to Thailand?

• Like 1

most people in world,
never trusted governments.

and see, lockdowns of government is a problem, if this happens.

and are not scared of viruses.

6 hours ago, js89 said:

Don't make the mistake of assuming you represent the majority view. A country where mask wearing is universal is a desirable feature for me. I'd rather go somewhere people wear masks than to a place where they don't. Most of my family and social circle are the same. 

Well, have fun in this dystopian nightmare that went reality.
And then you should better not come here, I am living in Thailand in a place with around 700 people, mostly Thais, and we don’t wear masks here anymore. The phu yai ban decided we will not accept any booster shots, as he felt being played. Told him so one year ago, but better late than never.

And considering the reactions to my post, it seems that most people on this forum actually agreeing with me.

Edited by HighSo
  • Like 7
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, HighSo said:

And then you should better not come here, I am living in Thailand in a place with around 700 people, mostly Thais, and we don’t wear masks here anymore. The phu yai ban decided we will not accept any booster shots, as he felt being played. Told him so one year ago, but better late than never.

And considering the reactions to my post, it seems that most people on this forum actually agreeing with me.

Yeah, its awesome. In the past year, I have seen these forums be 90% pro measures/vax and 10% against, now its more like 60% against, 40% for. 

Ever since I left Thailand in September, I haven't had to wear a mask anywhere in rural USA. Not in the stores, not at my job, not anywhere. I really hope Thais dont continue drinking the kool -aid. The roads were bad enough as it was, I would shudder to think the amount of adverse reactions with the mixing and matching of all kinds of jabs. Its whats happening in the US/Europe right now. Thailand just started so they are in for a rude awakening. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, HighSo said:

Most people in my region forgot about COVID already

You must live in a very rural area and none of your people have anyone living in a large metropolitan area.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JamesE said:

This is the same thing that was said at the beginning of ASQ. It was the same thing said at the beginning of The Sandbox. And now it is being said at the beginning of Test & Go. Exactly how many people are desperate to get back to Thailand?

Many are those deperados who will jump through all the hoops just to get laid again 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

biggles,i think youre  100% right!!all these restrictions are killing tourtist from coming.i my self have  dropped the idea of trying any more.doing all the crazy stupid down loads,applying,for visa,pre booking flights and hotel,insurance ,test,all before you know if it will be approved!!thats crazy!that along with flight and your looking a over $2000 usd before you even leave home!last time i even thought of trying for a visa or pass i have 17 documents in my folder!so,im done.just forget it until adults  make  common sence rules.and go back to filling out your papers,mail it to embassy and get your visa. then book flight and go.no more crazy hoops. chock dee everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, resetamy said:

Yeah, its awesome. In the past year, I have seen these forums be 90% pro measures/vax and 10% against, now its more like 60% against, 40% for. 

Ever since I left Thailand in September, I haven't had to wear a mask anywhere in rural USA. Not in the stores, not at my job, not anywhere. I really hope Thais dont continue drinking the kool -aid. The roads were bad enough as it was, I would shudder to think the amount of adverse reactions with the mixing and matching of all kinds of jabs. Its whats happening in the US/Europe right now. Thailand just started so they are in for a rude awakening. 

Yes some people are waking up.  What happened to the pro vaccine turbo cheerleader BOB20?  He has disasppeared from posting.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, billywillyjones said:

Yes some people are waking up.  What happened to the pro vaccine turbo cheerleader BOB20?  He has disasppeared from posting.  

Shshshsh

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HighSo said:

Good for you. Seems your community is isolated so no worries. I have family and friends don't return for the holidays from infected areas.