Certificate of no impediment - australia

Barry80

Hi, 

I am currently in thailand and wanting to get married to my partner.  We have been together 3 years no so it's time to bite the bullet.

I am from Australia and I know I need to fill in the certificate of no impediment to marry and send this to the bangkok australian embassy to show I haven't been married before.  I was hoping someone could clarify, the 2nd page of the form asks details of partner.  I assume this should only be filled in if I had been married before?  

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Getting_Married_in_Thailand.html

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-10/form-no-impediment-marriage.pdf

Thanks for your help in advance!

• Like 1

I've never filled in this form and I'm not Australian and I've looked at the form for 30 secs, so only use this reply if nothing more conclusive pops up.

I'm convinced this applies to your current partner, i.e. wife/husband to be. It looks like a standard form where both parties (that are planning to wed) are checked for non-impedimence (like being of-age, not family-related, unmarried, etc.).

• Like 1

Yeah i thought the same to but thai citizens can all be checked online.  The partner section also refers to State, city postcode which indicates Australia to me.   My understanding for the CNI is to show I am not married so the marriage will be legal in thailand.  I could have done the CNI before i left australia if i was better prepared.  

• Like 1

In the Partner section, questions 5 and 9 support non-Australian partners. Similarly, question 5 supports non-Australian applicants having legal residence status in Australia. 

It's just a general form for Australian residents marrying non-Australian residents.

I'm married to a Thai (in Thailand) and all I had to provide at the time was proof I was unmarried at the time. This seems needlessly complex in terms of amount of details, but the idea that the partner section is related to the most recent previous partner would be utterly unbelievable.

My recommendation: fill in your partner's details.

Mate - it was a long time ago so I am not sure.  But I went through all of this and did it all myself and I have some advice.  Use an Agent.  Everything is difficult and complicated and makes no sense.  My wife migrated to Australia and is now a permanent resident/citizen - did all that myself and that was simple compared to doing the official marriage thing in Thailand.  An Aussie mate recommended I  use an Agent for the marriage because he tried and gave up and paid for one.  I took that as a challenge - I am/was an idiot.

I recommend this lady - we have recommended her to many others and all feedback is good. We ran into her during the last part of our official marriage - the actual 'ceremony' in the Provincial Office. We had taken days to get all the right paperwork and and appointment for the Office - and then on the day waited about 5 hours for the ceremony to take place. She arrived with her clients and they went in and out in under  30 mins.  My wife knew her and so we talked - if only I knew. 

<edited personal details and phone number>

@AussieBob send the member a PM if you want to give personal details.

Edited by Faz
removed personal details.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Barry80 said:

I was hoping someone could clarify, the 2nd page of the form asks details of partner.  I assume this should only be filled in if I had been married before?  

No, this is for details of your Thai partner (intended wife).
Complete the form online, print and sign.
Have either of you been married before? Proof of divorce/death certificate from both parties are required if applicable.

Currently only completed by post - you'll also need an Embassy 'certified' copy of your passport ID page.

Once returned you'll need to get any documents in English translated into Thai (CNI, passport copy) then legalised by the Consular section of Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Marry Online!

Get an appostle authorised marriage certificate,  done. All you need is current passports from both of you, and your personal Declaration that you have never been or are currently married. Your marriage will be validated that you were married in the USA. The appostle certification allows your marriage to be recognised in most civilised countries that are part of the Hague Convention. 

If your partner is Thai,  it can still be a headache with the translation and getting the Ministry of foreign affairs Signature before going to the Amphon. 

If your partner is not thai, say from Mynamar, Laos, Vietnam etc, their embassies will not authorise any of their documents that the Ministry of foreign affairs needs to authorise.  

Good luck 

Edited by RolfAnders

• 1 month later...

Hi Barry.  If you have not completed the marriage process yet, I would mention a couple of items for consideration having suffered through a massively expensive divorce (4 years in the courts in USA). Not trying to spoil the marriage future (happily married for over 7 years here in Thailand), but just to avoid any potential issues.

1. If you separately own a condo, car, motorbike or other tangible assets get a legal agreement that recognizes them as personal assets and not included in the marriage.

2. Never register the marriage outside of Thailand or you will be subject to applicable laws in that country should things not work out.

As far as the Impediment document, if you haven't sorted it out, personally I have found that using a liason (or agency) to deal with Thai government issues is well worth the money. We used one for our marriage and they took care of everything after I received the certified divorce declaration from the USA. Took us 15 minutes to get documents certified (went to the front of the line) and 20 minutes to complete all the actual marriage legalization documents (didn't even ask for witnesses). We paid 7,000 baht for the entire service at the time.

Cheers and best wishes for your happy marriage.

• 3 months later...
On 12/18/2021 at 11:24 PM, AussieBob said:

Mate - it was a long time ago so I am not sure.  But I went through all of this and did it all myself and I have some advice.  Use an Agent.  Everything is difficult and complicated and makes no sense.  My wife migrated to Australia and is now a permanent resident/citizen - did all that myself and that was simple compared to doing the official marriage thing in Thailand.  An Aussie mate recommended I  use an Agent for the marriage because he tried and gave up and paid for one.  I took that as a challenge - I am/was an idiot.

I recommend this lady - we have recommended her to many others and all feedback is good. We ran into her during the last part of our official marriage - the actual 'ceremony' in the Provincial Office. We had taken days to get all the right paperwork and and appointment for the Office - and then on the day waited about 5 hours for the ceremony to take place. She arrived with her clients and they went in and out in under  30 mins.  My wife knew her and so we talked - if only I knew. 

<edited personal details and phone number>

@AussieBob send the member a PM if you want to give personal details.

Gday Bob..my name is Steve, could you please provide the name and contact details of the agent you used.

Cheers Steve

16 hours ago, Greeny66 said:

Gday Bob..my name is Steve, could you please provide the name and contact details of the agent you used.

Cheers Steve

If you're intending to marry in Thailand, an agent can only help with certain aspects of the process, which I wouldn't recommend. It's simple enough to do yourself.

Pinned topic on the process here: Marriage or registering a foreign marriage in Thailand. - > Marriage - a guide to all procedures - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)