News Forum - The future of digital nomads in Thailand

Thaiger

4 minutes ago, Paco said:

either way there is an easy way around it, if you wish to know how, simply  send me a message. thailand loses again with doing S T U P I D

Can you not tell us here?

On 12/19/2021 at 1:56 AM, JamesE said:

฿35K for a monthly spend is chump change. Other countries (like Barbados) are looking for bigger spenders. From Barbados's website: "Obtaining the visa has proved remarkably easy as long as you earn a minimum of US$50,000 per year and have health insurance in place, although obtaining local health insurance is available for visitors. There are also some routine security questions. The fee is US$2,000 per person or US$3,000 per family." That's +/-฿60/90K just for the visa. Thailand's proposed requirements seem very attractive.

Actually Thailand should do the same. Those with high skills wouldn't have problems and it would get rid of the hangers on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I don't care about being called sour, sometimes it may fit. I do dislike those who are trying to game the system for their own benefit. They aren't nomads that's for sure and most don't make enough to make a contribution.  If Thailand sees a benefit, OK, but I only see that they take up space, if they don't produce enough to qualify.

You were previously but currently there's a lot of fairness in some of these posts including this and the previous one.

I actually agree again with you.

• Thanks 1

They don't understand, they're too stupid. What they mean are home office workers.
I am one of those old fashion Gov.calls a digital nomad.

I live in Airbnbs or vacation apartments, because even a furnished apartment or house has too many obligations (Internet, electricity, water).
 I go mobile or with own subnet in foreign wifi online +VPN because I don't trust anyone else and even with 150 GB /month the cost is low.
My company is located in EU with European tax number, accounting, bank accounts and insurance.
I will never wave to any state: hey I earn, please tax me.  I don't know anyone who would go for that either.
 And I will never live in a country that wants to hunt me down for that. 
 Why should I? So that I have to deal with double tax treaties?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dirkzett said:

Why should I? So that I have to deal with double tax treaties?

Your point doesn't state as Thailand has a lot of tax treaties, but most likely you don't pay tax there either. Talking about income tax now as tax treaties are made for this reason.

On 12/18/2021 at 10:53 PM, Paco said:

Let me answer the topic...there is no future for digital nomads, because they not willing to make for once a visa with normal requirements, Thailand is greedy and make stupid requirements ALL the time.. so visas,ideas become useless... Now Thailand changed the way you can use PayPal starting in February, and again PayPal becomes useless for people in Thailand, not going into detail about it, but greediness again... If Thailand listen to the people for once they would know we do not mind paying taxes if you make a descent visa for us. But so long you do not we keep on doing what we do without paying taxes 😜

Those who still use paypal also send carrier pigeons for Christmas greetings.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 8:52 PM, Shark said:

Your point doesn't state as Thailand has a lot of tax treaties, but most likely you don't pay tax there either. Talking about income tax now as tax treaties are made for this reason.

I don't think you know what you are talking about.
Where does the erroneous assumption come from that normal EU companies who purchase my service, content creation, do so and become criminals?
Without an EU tax number, I cannot serve customers in the EU. And since I have an EU tax number, I also tax in the EU.

Edited by BigHewer
Quoted text restored to English original.

34 minutes ago, dirkzett said:

Without an EU tax number, I cannot serve customers in the EU. And since I have an EU tax number, I also tax in the EU.

This still has 0 todo with income tax this is just VAT and perhaps annual corporate taxes.

PS: I do actually know what I'm talking about I have 10 companies in Europe and 2 here. I do pay my income tax here as I reside here for more then 186 days a year and as a result of tax treaties I then don't have to pay that in Europe. But yes this does mean a Non-B + Work Permit in Thailand (for now?).

Hence the nickname Shark, ever watched Shark Tank?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dirkzett said:

They don't understand, they're too stupid. What they mean are home office workers.
I am one of those old fashion Gov.calls a digital nomad.

Agree. I used to do the DN life. Country to country. It was fun and tax effecient after a learning curve of living a true international life. The only thing which Thailand can do better to attract this market is maybe increase the tourist visa stay to 90 days.

But, nobody in that life is going to buy into the hassle of tax or hoop jumping. The contribution is purely though spending money whilst here. There the relationship ends. It's a figurative one night stand.

Nowadays, I'm the flip side. A remote long term worker. I want a long term base and Thailand has some interesting tax rules. But, there's a lot of competition out there now. Dubai, Carribbean, Easten Europe.

Thailand would do well to offer the remote workers options first before worrying about real DN. Right now, it's like watching Thailand flush down the toilet in slow motion the opportunity of the decade to be the first Asian country to embrace the working revolution.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Artemis080 said:

Agree. I used to do the DN life. Country to country. It was fun and tax effecient after a learning curve of living a true international life. The only thing which Thailand can do better to attract this market is maybe increase the tourist visa stay to 90 days.

But, nobody in that life is going to buy into the hassle of tax or hoop jumping. The contribution is purely though spending money whilst here. There the relationship ends. It's a figurative one night stand.

Nowadays, I'm the flip side. A remote long term worker. I want a long term base and Thailand has some interesting tax rules. But, there's a lot of competition out there now. Dubai, Carribbean, Easten Europe.

Thailand would do well to offer the remote workers options first before worrying about real DN. Right now, it's like watching Thailand flush down the toilet in slow motion the opportunity of the decade to be the first Asian country to embrace the working revolution.

I wouldn't favor favorite status for DN. Like other long term residents, they should jump through the same hoops, like financial guarantees, 90 day reports, TM30s etc. If anything, those under 50 might have a higher threshold, if unmarried. Let's be fair to everyone, with no favoritism foe DNs.

• Like 2

Another gimmick that makes for great soundbites but will likely fizzle out due to poor implementation or onerous requirements. It does not fit THAs strategy if they are not "wealthy" - whatever that means (otherwise they will get a bunch of travel bloggers/frauds wanting to live on the beach for 500 baht a day). Finding these wealthy digital nomad unicorns and then forcing them to prove it, annually, with endless paperwork and visits to immigration will make it less popular. The only ones that will benefit are the visa agents.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cabra said:

Another gimmick that makes for great soundbites but will likely fizzle out due to poor implementation or onerous requirements. It does not fit THAs strategy if they are not "wealthy" - whatever that means (otherwise they will get a bunch of travel bloggers/frauds wanting to live on the beach for 500 baht a day). Finding these wealthy digital nomad unicorns and then forcing them to prove it, annually, with endless paperwork and visits to immigration will make it less popular. The only ones that will benefit are the visa agents.

Actually the annual paperwork and the 90day reports are really easy. The financials are equally easy if you have the money. What's difficult is if you don't qualify and rely on work arounds.

On 12/20/2021 at 10:37 PM, Shark said:

This still has 0 todo with income tax this is just VAT and perhaps annual corporate taxes.

PS: I do actually know what I'm talking about I have 10 companies in Europe and 2 here. I do pay my income tax here as I reside here for more then 186 days a year and as a result of tax treaties I then don't have to pay that in Europe. But yes this does mean a Non-B + Work Permit in Thailand (for now?).

Hence the nickname Shark, ever watched Shark Tank?

I pay income tax where I spend my life, not where I spend a few months.
A nomad is a nomad and not a homeoffice worker

Edited by BigHewer
Quoted text restored to English original.

On 12/19/2021 at 1:56 AM, JamesE said:

฿35K for a monthly spend is chump change. Other countries (like Barbados) are looking for bigger spenders. From Barbados's website: "Obtaining the visa has proved remarkably easy as long as you earn a minimum of US$50,000 per year and have health insurance in place, although obtaining local health insurance is available for visitors. There are also some routine security questions. The fee is US$2,000 per person or US$3,000 per family." That's +/-฿60/90K just for the visa. Thailand's proposed requirements seem very attractive.

But not with a eu passport , this is maybe for other countries the requirements.

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

But not with a eu passport , this is maybe for other countries the requirements.

With an EU passport they should make it at least 100k baht/mo because they’re shifty.

No future. Once you bring in your fund and investment, you ll not be getting them out out Thailand ever. If you can’t even see that, you deserve to fail. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr.Sivada said:

No future. Once you bring in your fund and investment, you ll not be getting them out out Thailand ever. If you can’t even see that, you deserve to fail. 

I'd suggest a requirement (to be taxed) of att least 100k/mo from foreign sources so as not to be a burden and maybe contribute to Thai society.  Not really that much because around $3000/mo US, is not even middle class. Probably lower middle class.

Many,begpackers  are currently at a much lower level and not desirable.

• 3 months later...
On 12/23/2021 at 2:16 PM, LoongFred said:

I'd suggest a requirement (to be taxed) of att least 100k/mo from foreign sources so as not to be a burden and maybe contribute to Thai society.  Not really that much because around $3000/mo US, is not even middle class. Probably lower middle class.

Many,begpackers  are currently at a much lower level and not desirable.

You are barely literate, yet make draconian rules for others based on what? Greed and selfishness!

In your mind "poor = criminal".

People like you are part of the social problems that breed crime. You think precisely like the Thai dinosaur billionaires club, who hold the nation hostage. Stifling young entrepreneurs in the brewing industry, whilst not spending a satang to improve the urine they sell as beer, and all of them buying sports clubs and industry overseas while deliberately keeping Thais poor and uneducated.

Were you ever hungry?

Were you denied education, despite your rubbish grammar and execrable thought processes?

If you can't muster a decent charitable thought for those less fortunate, then just shut up and count your money.

Edited by Zorba_the_Geek
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Zorba_the_Geek said:

You are barely literate, yet make draconian rules for others based on what? Greed and selfishness!

In your mind "poor = criminal".

People like you are part of the social problems that breed crime. You think precisely like the Thai dinosaur billionaires club, who hold the nation hostage. Stifling young entrepreneurs in the brewing industry, whilst not spending a satang to improve the urine they sell as beer, and all of them buying sports clubs and industry overseas while deliberately keeping Thais poor and uneducated.

Were you ever hungry?

Were you denied education, despite your rubbish grammar and execrable thought processes?

If you can't muster a decent charitable thought for those less fortunate, then just shut up and count your money.

You do realize a lot of countries have minimum salaries to qualify for a work permit, right?

80-90 % of my income is commission with a small salary 

My salary started at $50k and my firm has had to raise it slightly every time I get a new worm permit so that it reaches the minimum salary requirement

Countries need to have people immigrate that can afford to live there 

22 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You do realize a lot of countries have minimum salaries to qualify for a work permit, right?

My salary is 

This digital nomad push from the Thai government  is a short term money grab and a long term bait and switch. You want to work from Thailand then you will need a work permit repackaged as a Digital Nomad Visa. And with minimum salary declarations on visa applications comes an obligation to pay income tax, likely in advance. It’s wishful thinking to believe foreigners working in Thailand won’t, sooner or later, have to pay income tax to the Thai government. Regardless of where the money is paid to or paid from the work is being done from a location in Thailand. Compare the work of a IT call support worker to a digital nomad. One PC, one Internet connection, one chair and one desk. Which one currently pays tax? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 8:53 PM, Paco said:

Let me answer the topic...there is no future for digital nomads, because they not willing to make for once a visa with normal requirements, Thailand is greedy and make stupid requirements ALL the time.. so visas,ideas become useless... Now Thailand changed the way you can use PayPal starting in February, and again PayPal becomes useless for people in Thailand, not going into detail about it, but greediness again... If Thailand listen to the people for once they would know we do not mind paying taxes if you make a descent visa for us. But so long you do not we keep on doing what we do without paying taxes 😜

Let me answer the topic from someone who is in Thailand and actually seeing real life facts 

Not parroting whining forum lore

Bangkok has been taken over by young digital nomads

They dominate the foreign visitors , by a large margin 

And that's just Bangkok, a lot stay in the beach and CM area

But I guess we can just go by what we hear on forums instead.....