Best home building and fit-out ideas and inclusions

KaptainRob

Having built 2 houses here I've learnt a lot, made mistakes of course, though by and large we've been happy with the end results.

Tip #1./  Be prepared to supervise every aspect of your build from start to finish and daily, even hourly during critical phases.
Thai builders and tradesmen generally hold no qualifications other than what has been 'handed down' or explained by someone else and most are labourers on ~ 300bt or US$10 per day.

A common response when you spot something that doesn't look correct, is "it's how we do it" ... and you need to firmly advise how YOU want it done.

Ensure all workers have adequate tools.  I've seen a small carpenters square and rusted tape measure minus  it's first 3" used to run string lines for laying out foundations ... diamond-shaped!   Went and bought correct tools for the job and virtually re-did it myself. 

Even so-called professional contractors can't read plans correctly - trying to scale sizes from an A4 photocopy reduction from A3. 🙄   Then there was the pool plumbing, all water 4 inlet risers installed in rebar mesh ready for base pour and I said STOP ... needs a separate line into the spa (on a higher level than main pool) ... much scratching of heads and "it's how we do it", until the head builder came and realised I was correct.  Set the project back a day but saved a week of jack hammering 30cm thick concrete to fix it later!  Pic show's plumbing fixed!

spacer.png

Tip #2./  Q-Con Aerated Autoclave Concrete [AAC] blocks should be employed for all external walls in lieu of red brick or 6 bt cement blocks.  AAC blocks are lightweight, fast and easy to install, easy to cut or drill and come in various sizes and thickness.  Use 2 x 75mm thick blocks for a cavity wall or a single 200mm block, both will provide massive insulation qualities for heat and sound.  At the very least, use AAC on south or west facing walls that will cop the most sun.

Q-CON-2.jpg

Tip #3./  Window & external door joinery - If the budget permits, use double glazing on bedrooms and any south & west facing windows.  Ensuites don't really need it and it may be overkill on living area doors or windows that get no sun (or noise) at all.  The noise insulation factor for bedrooms is well worth the extra cost. Good quality window joinery also keeps out storm water, dust and vermin ... such as geckos.  Check the IP (weather sealing) factor as it varies between manufacturers. 

NB: Standard Thai aluminium joinery is simply cheap, has no IP rating and all sliders are a gecko's superhighway into your home.

Best Inclusions:-

1./  MrKen ceiling fans in all main rooms incl. kitchen

2./  LED 'step' lights in base of walls around hallway and main traffic areas to use as night-lights.  Especially good for young families and when you have guests to stay as no need to leave main lights on.

maxresdefault.jpg

3./  Front gate Video Intercom and door unlock - with 25m gate to front door I prewired Cat6e underground from house to front fence/gate area.  I chose FermVision basic video unit PLUS gate relay for English install instructions and 2-wire colour system.  Looked harder than it was and the 2 wire system carries excellent colour video quality plus audio over 40m (into kitchen area PLUS we can open the main gate with it.

It's a great security device for when the wife is home alone and also records photo of any callers whilst we're not at home.  Entry keypad may be programmed for family, friends or staff keyless access.  This unit was ~ 12,000 bt although cheaper units from ~ 3,000 bt may suit installs with shorter distance for wifi or cable install.

image.png.755613046d832e70dcf2409dfb1a43da.png

• Like 5

Good thread, Rob, I'm just glad our house is finished now - we've been in a year. There were a few teething problems such as consumer unit too small &  drainage not vented.

We spoke with 3/4 builders before we decided on the best one. Builder number turned up, not just drunk but nearly falling over! 

We don't have a security cameras around us yet.

Do you have any further suggestions - the Fermvision looks good & 12k isn't so much for extra security.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

MrKen ceiling fans in all main rooms incl. kitchen

I saw this website just today. Wow- they have some amazing options!

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

Good thread, Rob, I'm just glad our house is finished now - we've been in a year. There were a few teething problems such as consumer unit too small &  drainage not vented.

We spoke with 3/4 builders before we decided on the best one. Builder number turned up, not just drunk but nearly falling over! 

We don't have a security cameras around us yet.

Do you have any further suggestions - the Fermvision looks good & 12k isn't so much for extra security.

Consumer unit, MCB or main switchboard I assume?  Yes a common problem with Thai sparkies, especially with the loads we 'farangs' can apply with the aircon, oven, microwave. HW cylinder and so on.  I supplied a 32 breaker MCB for this house and have 2 spare slots.  Our sparkie did a pretty thorough job except at the last minute when we hooked up all kitchen appliances.  I discovered he'd put dishwasher/fridge/Micro/Oven/appliance centre and all outlets on ONE 20amp circuit. 🙄

Non vented toilets are a common problem and can usually be remedied by an external vent up the back wall.  We had that done in a rental.  Original plumber asked the wife "why you want, we never do like this".

One our best "tradies" from this last build is a really super guy, Pan, who unfortunately drinks away his salary end of each month.  Hasn't a satang to his name, no motorbike, no wife but loads of girls, and his principal employer has had to bail him out of jail frequently for drunk and disorderly.  Usually takes a few days before can get back to work again but he is a top wood-worker and expert plumber ... prefers welded green pipe [PPR] installations.

I bought 2 x1500L water tanks for this house as a side wall would hide them and a smaller footprint suited.  My usually excellent supplier was too busy to do our install immediately so I bought the fittings and had Pan assist me with the whole filtration/tank/pump install.  I enjoy working with the Burmese building tradies and labourers despite a language barrier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Our sparkie did a pretty thorough job except at the last minute when we hooked up all kitchen appliances. 

oh mai pen rai... really when it comes to electric. it are sparkies indeed not geniuses.

• Like 1

Use Architect from start to finish ? myself having zero tech skills. Bought Off Plan here years ago. Went Well…. Eventually.

But NEVER again. Investment Property. Went In with Insufficient Knowledge. Completed 2008 . Couldnt Sell. Forced to Live & Rent. My Lady IS an Architect with Practical Interior Design skills. Perfect for our Dream House funded by (eventual) present House Sale.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Use Architect from start to finish ? myself having zero tech skills. Bought Off Plan here years ago. Went Well…. Eventually.

But NEVER again. Investment Property. Went In with Insufficient Knowledge. Completed 2008 . Couldnt Sell. Forced to Live & Rent. My Lady IS an Architect with Practical Interior Design skills. Perfect for our Dream House funded by (eventual) present House Sale.

There are very few qualified Architects out in the sticks, at best I'd call them draftsmen though in reality most are self taught CAD users with a penchant for house design.

My builder friend has completed many high quality and very large projects over his 17 years career in Thailand and the biggest problem-projects were those where an Architect was employed to 'oversee' a project on behalf of his client.   One concrete shell remains unfinished as eventually all contractors walked away and the client also lost faith in the architect.

Having said that, finding a reputable builder is paramount, yet can be difficult.  Most will have either an Architect or draftsman on staff or be able to point you in the right direction.  For Chiang Mai (city region) I can recommend 3 reputable building companies ranging from 2mil contract size up to 100mil, with the majority now falling in the 10 to 50m THB range.  Sadly, I trust the Architect/draftsmen capabilities of only one.

At the bottom end of project size is a Burmese family team we've known for ~ 8 years and used for a lot of small improvements although I'd choose them in a flash, for any small house project or renovation.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

There are very few qualified Architects out in the sticks, at best I'd call them draftsmen though in reality most are self taught CAD users with a penchant for house design.

My builder friend has completed many high quality and very large projects over his 17 years career in Thailand and the biggest problem-projects were those where an Architect was employed to 'oversee' a project on behalf of his client.   One concrete shell remains unfinished as eventually all contractors walked away and the client also lost faith in the architect.

Having said that, finding a reputable builder is paramount, yet can be difficult.  Most will have either an Architect or draftsman on staff or be able to point you in the right direction.  For Chiang Mai (city region) I can recommend 3 reputable building companies ranging from 2mil contract size up to 100mil, with the majority now falling in the 10 to 50m THB range.  Sadly, I trust the Architect/draftsmen capabilities of only one.

At the bottom end of project size is a Burmese family team we've known for ~ 8 years and used for a lot of small improvements although I'd choose them in a flash, for any small house project or renovation.

Thanks Bob . Builder with In House Architect. Never considered that ! Yes, at the lower -complexity end,  my lady found and supervised a Local Thai AC -Electric / Crew Boss type who extended and improved our house ground floor apartment inc. an excavated enlarged master bedroom ( 60k baht basic build using Existing Side Wall/ Window Space / Ceiling/ Structural Columns& Beams) & budget concrete / steel / tile / wood door expanded Kitchen L Design by my Lady at basic build cost 40k baht. After I had threatened to take a sledgehammer to our rotting dated original wood  “I” kitchen …….! That Crew at limit of their skillset though. made some const. errors my lady picked up and corrected. but we all just about pulled it off……

We still use him for all our small maint. jobs. VERY HARD as you say to find Competent Reliable Builders so VITAL to secure best recommendations pre- bid for a high confidence project. Was late to trust my lady and probably paid double for several prior small house / apt improvement jobs, using a competent Aussie friend / fellow resident / compex tech. mgr who struggled to manage & keep thai builder subcontractors…..at my expense as budget would double. Didnt want to expose my lady & small son directly to thai builders cheating us and maybe threatening her while I was away working ……. had heard so many bad stories including her stupid rich friend getting ripped for a whole housebuild that went wrong and ended in Courts……need not have worried as she easily charmed and handled our eventual direct thai small builder with her personal & technical design skills …. ! 

• Like 2