News Forum - Activists in Vietnam land dispute jailed for criticising government on social media

Thaiger

Two Vietnamese activists have been jailed for social media content about a violent clash with the authorities that resulted in the deaths of 4 people. According to an AFP report, violence broke out as activist villagers were protesting plans to build a military airport on their land. Officials were trying to erect a fence at Dong Tam commune on the outskirts of Hanoi in January 2020, when they were confronted by villagers armed with “grenades, petrol bombs and knives”. 3 police officers and a villager were killed in the clash. Yesterday, a court in the Vietnamese capital sentenced to Trinh […]

The story Activists in Vietnam land dispute jailed for criticising government on social media as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

when they were confronted by villagers armed with “grenades, petrol bombs and knives”

and now they criticize government?

7 minutes ago, Transam said:

Let's not forget what Communism is about..

Yes far better to be in the USA where criticism only gets you the regulatory bodies including the IRS to attack you or you get the Justice Dept to bring bogus charges bankrupting you.  

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2021 at 1:28 PM, Transam said:

I watched a Tom Cruise film last night too.

Yes I am no conspiracy theorist but I also am not so naïve to think that the USA does not use other methods to punish its political enemies.  

. Franklin D. Roosevelt brazenly used IRS audits as a weapon against conservative publishers William Randolph Hearst and Moses Annenberg, right-wing radio demagogue Father Charles Coughlin, and industrialist Andrew Mellon. FDR would not be alone in succumbing to that temptation. “In almost every administration since the IRS’s inception,

Recently it has been the Justice Department going after people for "failing to register as a foreign agent"  However they only selectively go after people.  Certainly Hunter Biden should qualify as a foreign agent but they don't pursue him.  

You also get the Attorney General of New York pursuing the Trump Foundation.  Perhaps some validity but one thing for sure the investigation that started it was politically motivated. 

The USA is just as corrupt and uses power to both reward and punish political opponents just like every other country.  It is only more "sophisticated" in how it doles those rewards and punishments.  Instead of cash bribes, it is special contracts or "real estate tips"  Instead of throwing them in prison they unleash the regulatory authorities to look at their personal and business dealings.  Even if nothing is found it costs those pursued tens of thousands of dollars to defend themselves. 

https://theweek.com/articles/463613/irs-political-weapon

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2021 at 5:27 AM, longwood50 said:

Recently it has been the Justice Department going after people for "failing to register as a foreign agent"  However they only selectively go after people.  Certainly Hunter Biden should qualify as a foreign agent but they don't pursue him.  

https://theweek.com/articles/463613/irs-political-weapon

Do you people ever care about facts when you post something?

Do you even bother researching anything you give your opinion on?

Hunter Biden is literally being investigated and their is a grand jury convened

It blows my mind that grown adults just say stuff that is so easy to prove false by a 2min Google search

Don't you not want to be wrong?

I have got way too big of an ego to not check what I am posting, so I don't post false stuff and look foolish

https://nypost.com/2020/12/09/hunter-biden-under-federal-investigation-for-possible-tax-fraud/

https://www.ntd.com/us-prosecutor-issued-grand-jury-subpoena-for-hunter-biden-bank-records-connected-to-china_734411.html

Just for the record, Hunter Biden is shady as fcuk and Joe Biden is full of shit he didn't know what his dealings were...........

• Like 1

Incredible. Longwood50 has done it again... Takes an article and subsequent discussion thread about an Asian country and turns it into a rant on US policy, politics and politicians @Faz