News Forum - New rules for scuba diving boats in Thailand to increase safety

Thaiger

Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Warawut Silpa-archa has introduced new safety measures that ban large commercial scuba diving boats from getting too close to dive sites. The rule would apply to national parks only so far and would require big boats to stay 100 to 200 metres from dives sites. Scuba companies that offer diving by taking many customers on a large diving boat will have to transport their customers on a smaller boat or dinghy the last 100 metres to the dive site. Varawut said that the propellers and engines from large vessels are a danger for divers […]

The story New rules for scuba diving boats in Thailand to increase safety as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Not sure how this will be enforced. Hopefully not like driving laws are enforced currently. And pretty much ANY law is enforced in Thailand. While this is needed and makes total sense, this announcement is likely because that particular ministry is seeking relevance in a time of Covid, Covid, Covid coverage. 😕

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThaiEyes said:

Not sure how this will be enforced. Hopefully not like driving laws are enforced currently. And pretty much ANY law is enforced in Thailand. While this is needed and makes total sense, this announcement is likely because that particular ministry is seeking relevance in a time of Covid, Covid, Covid coverage. 😕

Good comment. In Koh Rang marine park the rangers simply come out in the morning to collect park fees from the dive shops. As for mooring lines they could be rotting but don't get replaced.

Only hope is that fines apply then the authorities will go out as brown envelopes can work wonders.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

surface swim for 100-200meters to dive site and back... imagine a current or a wind... safety first? not bloody likely!

Unless swimming to the suface location while decompressing/safety stopping at 5m. SMB's should be compulsory.

4 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

surface swim for 100-200meters to dive site and back... imagine a current or a wind... safety first? not bloody likely!

Spot on. Certain other places have done this and it makes for a rubbish time. Then add 50 inexperienced tourist divers into the mix. Great fun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Unless swimming to the suface location while decompressing/safety stopping at 5m. SMB's should be compulsory.

Not sure what you mean. Most tourists do no-decompression dives, you normally don't swim during safety stop. SMB are already compulsory for every dive lead. Moving boats so far from the dive site is stupidest idea I heard. This would put lives in danger. Imagine DSD people who never dived before doing long swim... Save coral but kill people. Setting permanent mooring points is the way to go in my personal opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

impractical, unsafe, unpopular & uneconomic measure so wont be complied or enforced. just some fool civil servant generating credit for him and dept. near promotion review time……..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

Not sure what you mean. Most tourists do no-decompression dives, you normally don't swim during safety stop. SMB are already compulsory for every dive lead. Moving boats so far from the dive site is stupidest idea I heard. This would put lives in danger. Imagine DSD people who never dived before doing long swim... Save coral but kill people. Setting permanent mooring points is the way to go in my personal opinion. 

Agreed. If a total ban then yes! It is a very foolish idea especially when considering that bouy's are in place on most regular sites. Good point about the long swim as currents come into it. I guess wait until a fatality or the princess has a mishap. Then all changes.  

13 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

Also good point on practicality. Many dive shops can't just simply go out and buy a zodiac especially after suffering from Covid induced lack of business and revenue. As usual the powers at be that know nothing about what they are doing come up with schemes that are impractical.

3 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Also good point on practicality. Many dive shops can't just simply go out and buy a zodiac especially after suffering from Covid induced lack of business and revenue. As usual the powers at be that know nothing about what they are doing come up with schemes that are impractical.

did you ever dive from zodiac? it's not possible to get our without taking gear off in the water. again DSD cannot do that, most of OW divers will not be able too... this is trouble allover. I was teaching diving for 15 years, last thing Thailand need is dead diver. one or two... and diving tourism wiped off for few month 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

did you ever dive from zodiac? it's not possible to get our without taking gear off in the water. again DSD cannot do that, most of OW divers will not be able too... this is trouble allover. I was teaching diving for 15 years, last thing Thailand need is dead diver. one or two... and diving tourism wiped off for few month 

Yes! Did a lot a zodiac diving in the early days but you're correct in that some folk will have have a lot of issues getting into the boat. Ladder entry much more practical, just remove the fins when holding the ladder and step back in.

Not sure of the statistics Alex but the deaths from Air Embolism, drowning and DCS are actually less than surface incidents. Will it take a fatality to get the authorities to actually think about the wisdom of their actions?

23 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Yes! Did a lot a zodiac diving in the early days but you're correct in that some folk will have have a lot of issues getting into the boat. Ladder entry much more practical, just remove the fins when holding the ladder and step back in.

Not sure of the statistics Alex but the deaths from Air Embolism, drowning and DCS are actually less than surface incidents. Will it take a fatality to get the authorities to actually think about the wisdom of their actions?

i agree about stats, but my experience is that even death on the boat or just person lost at sea doesn't make difference. it's a loss of life during the dive trip with all consequences 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

i agree about stats, but my experience is that even death on the boat or just person lost at sea doesn't make difference. it's a loss of life during the dive trip with all consequences 

Just a quick Q? Not directly related but dive related.

What pre criteria did you give your dive students before doing an Advanced certification course. For me it was 20 hours on bottom or 25 dives but theoretically some dive shops are doing both basic open water and advanced in sequence. Just out of interest.