Towards 2050

JohninDublin

Predictions are just that and when they are generalizations, there are just that as well.

No one knows for sure, just read Nostradamus and make your own judgement on his predictions.

The US has an abundance of water is some areas, and hardly any or other areas drying up.

You cannot generalize the US would invade Canada because there will be many areas in the US where water will always be abundant.

Not sure what hurricanes have to do with anything? People that live in Florida for instance have no phobia of hurricanes, houses are built to code, windows protected by metal plates. Others chose to evacuate. Happens every year, some hit the coast, others stay out in the ocean. Plenty of warning time to stock on on required necessities, gas generators, you name it. I don't live ocean front and never worry, the worst thing maybe the electric goes out. Have a backup generator so no big deal.

However, if you look back at Mad Max 1, the movie, villages protecting their little oasis of water/food, against all the marauder's that have none. This is very viable and already happening in Africa.

It would seem to be impossible to defend private property against any type of raider's should it absolutely come down to a fight over water and food.

I can remember before pc's, the internet, cell phones, microwaves...

Now we have electric cars, self driving cars, flying cars

Who would have ever imagined?

Elon Musk sending satellites into space every week? 

Re-usable rockets to space?

Who knows how far technology will advance in the next 30 years until 2050?

Technology is advancing but how about advancements in crop/water?

If you think you know the answer, by a lotto ticket!

I think predictions that the world population would outstrip resources were flawed. It didn't take into account that prosperity of moving from family farming to supply food to people moving away from farming. This brought drastically smaller families resulting to population declines in some areas. Look at Thailand and you'll see very few young people working on the farm. This has raised concerns about how agriculture will proceed in the future. 

I've read that for a population to be self sustaining , 2.2 children/couple is required. So an average family of 2 children is falling behind. Add to this same sex couples and single people, you see a population net decrease. 

What are needed is greater strides to promote agriculture productivity and addressing what happens as society ages and we lack caregivers.

It's actually very exciting because a lot of innovation is in the pipeline.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 6:27 PM, LoongFred said:

I think predictions that the world population would outstrip resources were flawed. It didn't take into account that prosperity of moving from family farming to supply food to people moving away from farming. This brought drastically smaller families resulting to population declines in some areas. Look at Thailand and you'll see very few young people working on the farm. This has raised concerns about how agriculture will proceed in the future. 

I've read that for a population to be self sustaining , 2.2 children/couple is required. So an average family of 2 children is falling behind. Add to this same sex couples and single people, you see a population net decrease. 

What are needed is greater strides to promote agriculture productivity and addressing what happens as society ages and we lack caregivers.

Any Caregiving Shortages solved by normal Import / Export Economics.

Import Filipinos to UK & Japan.Export UK Oldies to Thailand.No Issue.

Innovation will not create more Fresh Water.

Farming is Mechanized & High Tech for high yields in advanced countries.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:27 PM, LoongFred said:

I'm not sure how you can say that. The world population is still increasing and already putting strains on many resources. If there were 4 billion of us (1974), instead of 8 billion, as now, then I doubt that there would be the present level of panic over global warming, climate change, CO2 emissions, energy and water shortages and all the rest. Population increases are mainly in the less developed countries, which generally have lower education standards, so they are hardly likely to contribute much to these innovations that you talk of. Natural resources cannot, generally, be physically replaced by innovation, although the application and use of them can be improved. Innovation is a different type of resource.