News Forum - “Gay Toilet”: Thai temple aims to be more welcoming, misses mark on gender neutral

Thaiger

One Thai temple trying to be a bit more progressive missed the mark when it comes to gender neutral restrooms. Instead, they designated restrooms for gay men and lesbian women. A picture of toilet sign saying ห้องน้ำตุ๊ด which means “Gay Toilet”’ and ห้องน้ำทอม which means “Tomboy Toilet” went viral among Thai netizens. The sign and toilet are located at Sarikaram Temple in Trang province. The monk had good intentions. He said that the temple welcomes people of all gender identities and he wants them to feel comfortable, and not confused, when choosing which toilet to go to. The monk also […]

The story “Gay Toilet”: Thai temple aims to be more welcoming, misses mark on gender neutral as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Ok, perhaps Monk can just rebrand his toilet's as toilet's.

Put a toiletpot and urinoir in all of them and done. Sunshine bar in Phuket's toilet's are just like this!

7 hours ago, Cathat said:

Are lady's of the second sex entitled to use those bogs as well?

I think they could use whichever bog they liked, Most people wouldn't want to argue with them when push came to shove, so to speak.

• Haha 3

Evolution Recognition !

This Monk seems to be an Forward Thinking Economist.

Whoever you are , you are most welcome to our temple, every baht counts !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

needs a  "none of the above genders"  toilet  or  one of the other 200+ made up nonsense  gender  names.....how  about the  "absolutely ridiculous toilets for  people who think they are  special"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Wait. I demand as a gender neutral self identifying pixie dragon frying pan I have my own toilet.

Thats Elfist, I demand more rights for elves,

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RampantRabbit said:

needs a  "none of the above genders"  toilet  or  one of the other 200+ made up nonsense  gender  names.....how  about the  "absolutely ridiculous toilets for  people who think they are  special"

That's an excellent suggestion. Label the toilet as 'Absolutely Ridiculous'.
Call a spade a shovel.

So people who identify as 'non-binary' don't need a toilet.

This is the stupidest one for me, bloody nonsense.

If you have a penis, pee in here, if you have a vagina, pee in here.

There are only 2 genders, all the rest is woke nonsense, and can some one please explain the 'Q' ?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thai netizens comment in a fun and positive way, saying that at least this is a good start.

Unlike farang netizens, as evidenced here,  who are just negative - no surprises there!

8 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Unlike farang netizens, as evidenced here,  who are just negative - no surprises there!

Thais traditionally have used gays and transgenders as the butt of jokes, see any lakorn to see negative stereotypes.

15 hours ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Don't import that American bullshit woke agenda.

They haven't.

The Thaiger author / re-writer has just completely "missed the mark" about why the temple's labelled the toilets as they have, as have some here.

It's the complete and direct opposite of being "gender neutral" as the Thaiger reports or being about equal  "rights" as some here have suggested.

Instead it's simply the old-fashioned concept of giving people the use of a toilet where they can relax as there's going to be less chance of someone else using them who's got any sexual interest in them.

Pretty simple and not unreasonable, particularly for a temple.

17 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

Thais traditionally have used gays and transgenders as the butt of jokes, see any lakorn to see negative stereotypes.

A fair observation on the jokes and lakorn, but a very 'Western' interpretation of why Thais find it funny.

Thais laugh at themselves.

Nobody feels guilty or slighted or anything "negative" when people laugh at the stereotype as it's just a stereotype.

A Thai slips on a banana skin and everyone laughs, including the person who slipped. A Westerner slips on a banana skin and it's all about injured pride.

They're not laughing at anything "negative" but just laughing at the stereotype, and  you'll see Thai gays and TG's laughing loudest as they think it's as funny as everyone else does.

It's only when Westerners get involved that it becomes "negative" and there's any suggestion that there's anything 'wrong' with being a khatoey or gay or a tom or dee and that it should be ignored.

For Thais it's much simpler - it's just how it is.

13 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Wait. I demand as a gender neutral self identifying pixie dragon frying pan I have my own toilet.

How are you so sure you're the only one? Maybe I identify myself like that too. 

3 hours ago, Saltire said:

There are only 2 genders, all the rest is woke nonsense, and can some one please explain the 'Q' ?

It's not about "genders", but sexual preference.

Different concepts and issues.

'Q' is 'questioning', for those who are 'questioning' their preference and haven't been put / put themselves in any particular compartment yet.

33 minutes ago, Stonker said:

It's not about "genders", but sexual preference.

Different concepts and issues.

'Q' is 'questioning', for those who are 'questioning' their preference and haven't been put / put themselves in any particular compartment yet.

Agree, but these alternate sexual preferences apply to less than 1% of the worlds population, but Netflx and other media are now forced to over-represent these lifestyle choices. Can't watch anything recent that doesn't throw in some meaningless man on man, woman on woman action just to keep the wokes off their backs. It's too much.

Glad I'm not a 'Q' though.