News Forum - Health Ministry looks into fake vaccine certificates after social media post goes viral

Thaiger

Thailand’s Public Health Ministry is looking into fake vaccine certification sales after a post advertising bogus certifications went viral on Facebook. A photo of what looks like a vaccine certificate issued by the Thai government with a caption saying “Get a vaccine certificate from us. No need to waste your time getting vaccinated.” Get a vaccine certificate from us. No need to waste your time getting vaccinated. Some suffer from fever for months. Some die from it. Some just want it for purpose. So, get it from us 100% genuine. Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul says buying a fake vaccine […]

The story Health Ministry looks into fake vaccine certificates after social media post goes viral as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The QR code is just an URL, redirecting to the Ministry of Health page, with the details (name, ID/passport) of the person.

When presenting the certificate, one should also present an ID, to compare the data / name.

The big question here is: where do they get the QR codes ??? from Hospital hack, social media sharing, etc .... ??

2 hours ago, Pi_Tim said:

The big question here is: where do they get the QR codes ??? from Hospital hack, social media sharing, etc .... ??

Codes? Why assume there are fake codes? It may very well be that every card sold shows the exact same QR, photocopied from a legit original (remember the kid in London who got pinched for using Boris Johnson's QR code?) . That's assuming that once the monies are remitted, that the seller actually delivers a card. For all we know, this may even be a troll looking to get a rise out of folk.

At this point in time the Thailand Public Health Ministry/Thailand Police have made no arrests, have not confiscated any fake cards currently  in circulation (if there are any), and have as evidence of a crime having been committed a single post on a platform frequented by people very likely to have already submitted to being, ahem, "vaccinated" (IMVHO).

I believe that the Thailand Public Health Ministry might very well be more concerned over what the ramifications would be to Thailand's "GreenPass" in terms of it being internationally recognized/accepted, than they are over such an obviously small-time fake card operation.

Any idea how much the vendor is/was asking? Asking for a friend :)

In any event, I'm still not jetting the jab.

Best for now.

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2021 at 5:54 PM, Pi_Tim said:

The QR code is just an URL, redirecting to the Ministry of Health page, with the details (name, ID/passport) of the person.

When presenting the certificate, one should also present an ID, to compare the data / name.

Where entry checks are automated, there frequently are no  parallel checks of ID - here or in the EU.

Where from?

The possibilities are pretty extensive. There have been a number of known instances of people unwittingly waving their QR 'passes' on social media; when checked at an entry point, instead of using a QR code reader, a security guard could just take a photograph of the QR code - they'd get hundreds a day. 

Plenty of possibilities.

• Cool 1

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul says buying a fake vaccine certificate is “definitely not worth it.” 

Someone must have told him to say that, too much common sense in that statement for him.

• Haha 1

Both those who offer those falsified certificates as well as those buying them should face severe punishment. This is not a petty crime as this could lead to 3rd parties getting infected. No shortcuts here: get those vaccination shots and don't act irresponsible!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stonker said:

Where entry checks are automated, there frequently are no  parallel checks of ID - here or in the EU.

Where from?

The possibilities are pretty extensive. There have been a number of known instances of people unwittingly waving their QR 'passes' on social media; when checked at an entry point, instead of using a QR code reader, a security guard could just take a photograph of the QR code - they'd get hundreds a day. 

Plenty of possibilities.

There might be some deviances depending on where you are, but I did encounter the need to produce both my EU vaccination cert plus my ID in Italy, Germany and Switzerland lately. At least in Germany fake vaccination certificates are not unknown. Since in Germany pharmacies collect the data, digitize it and then generate the vaccination certificate, forgers sell those yellow WHO vaccination booklets with fake vaccination records.

In Switzerland, there have been reports where employees of the local vaccination centers could manipulate the system to generate certificates w/o vaccination. 

These are two countries where I have positive knowledge from the media. Probably just the tip of the iceberg. I would be surprised if similar things would not have happend elsewhere.

I just hope that whoever is involved in this sort of activity, either offering or buying those fake certificates, ultimately gets caught and receives an appointment with a judge at the criminal court of justice. And if they infect themselves: well deserved.

35 minutes ago, Fundok said:

There might be some deviances depending on where you are, but I did encounter the need to produce both my EU vaccination cert plus my ID in Italy, Germany and Switzerland lately. At least in Germany fake vaccination certificates are not unknown. Since in Germany pharmacies collect the data, digitize it and then generate the vaccination certificate, forgers sell those yellow WHO vaccination booklets with fake vaccination records.

In Switzerland, there have been reports where employees of the local vaccination centers could manipulate the system to generate certificates w/o vaccination. 

These are two countries where I have positive knowledge from the media. Probably just the tip of the iceberg. I would be surprised if similar things would not have happend elsewhere.

I just hope that whoever is involved in this sort of activity, either offering or buying those fake certificates, ultimately gets caught and receives an appointment with a judge at the criminal court of justice. And if they infect themselves: well deserved.

I think we're actually in complete agreement as that's the point I'm making - unless ID's are checked, which generally they're not, the same QR code could be used by a lot of people.

I wasn't aware of the pharmacy scam, but there are clearly a lot of options without even going the route of the New Zealander who was paid to have as many as ten vaccinations in one day 'on behalf' of those not wanting a jab but wanting the documentation.

16 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I think we're actually in complete agreement as that's the point I'm making - unless ID's are checked, which generally they're not, the same QR code could be used by a lot of people.

I wasn't aware of the pharmacy scam, but there are clearly a lot of options without even going the route of the New Zealander who was paid to have as many as ten vaccinations in one day 'on behalf' of those not wanting a jab but wanting the documentation.

Yes, no disagreement here. Certificate plus ID is the thing. And whilst these forgeries are very disappointing I do not think that they are a big scale phenomenon (luckily). This notwithstanding, they cannot be tolerated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Or the Indian chap with fifty vax shots. score arrest.claimed reduced joint inflammation!