News Forum - Thailand halves gap between second dose and booster amid Omicron concerns

Thaiger

The Thai government has decided to halve the period between the administration of a second dose of Covid-19 vaccine and a booster dose. The current waiting time between a second dose and a booster dose is 6 months. CCSA spokesman Taweesilp Wisanuyothin says this will now be reduced to 3 months in a bid to combat the Omicron variant, according to a Bangkok Post report. “Because Omicron is now widespread, the booster third shot would help lessen the severity of symptoms and reduce the death rate.” Thailand has so far reported 8 cases of the Omicron variant, all of which […]

The story Thailand halves gap between second dose and booster amid Omicron concerns as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Reading this, I can now get a booster, but have no clue which it should be.

I got one Sinovac in early August and one Astra Zenica in early September.

I read somewhere thet the UK won't accept a mix which means I should get one more Astra Zenica? Or does it?

I find it almost impossible to keep up with the latest recommendations.

Wife tells me the vax team are returning to the villlage soon to dish out boosters but has no idea what is on offer.

1 minute ago, Cabra said:

It's just a matter of time before they start applying these booster rules to international travelers. It's coming.

let's just hope not.... I mean my wife is out of the country currently.... like myself dual vaccinated.

25 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I read somewhere thet the UK won't accept a mix which means I should get one more Astra Zenica? Or does it?

Wife tells me the vax team are returning to the villlage soon to dish out boosters but has no idea what is on offer.

Mixed approved vaccines are accepted by the UK, including both Sinovac and AZ.

The vaccine team will tell you what you can have, but it will obviously depend on what's available.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countries-with-approved-covid-19-vaccination-programmes-and-proof-of-vaccination

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Thank you.

You're more than welcome.

Obviously you're limited by what's available as well as personal choice, but that aside there's no reason not to mix a third vaccine such as Pfizer or Moderna as the mRNA vaccines are much more effective against Omicron.

Germany is now giving fourth booster doses for those who are 'vulnerable', usually Moderna, if necessary giving the third and fourth doses together as a 'double booster', and the UK's vaccine booking site has crashed due to the numbers.

2 hours ago, Cabra said:

It's just a matter of time before they start applying these booster rules to international travelers. It's coming.

certainly hope so, UK and other countries already pushing for 3 month booster shots and "fully vaccinated" definition will be changed in a weeks if not days

2 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Seen this posted by Richard Barrow

Blue column first 2 vax, green, suggested booster, pink, time between 2 and 3

771760609_Screenshot2021-12-14at14_09_24.thumb.png.27124563c06558aa3e91636156aeeb3e.png

I can't make the appointment yet even through my time in between is 3 months just now :-).

11 hours ago, Saltire said:

there’s nothing to think about.here you get free from govt. the known single western vax booster what’s offered at your local govt. facility. or shop around privately for your “preference”.

patong govt hospital yesterday gave me the Moderna Booster. the only offer. saw some farang clown insisting on Pfizer…..with a free immediate govt. Moderna booster offered…..like he’s a medical expert… he left…western vax is western vax….. its all good…..way better than nothing…. had two free govt. AZ … we now know this gives zero protection against Omicron …… Moderna Booster puts that around 35% …. the mRNA booster on top of “viral vector” AZ is a strong & recommended combo…….would have taken it even with no vax knowledge……

• Thanks 1

Had 2 Pfizer and now is about 3 months in about 10 more days. But I will hold off until January or February as just not ready to get a Moderna Booster jab yet. 

• 3 weeks later...

Im 73 living in Thailand with diabetes, hypertension and other conditions. I had 2 Phizer vaccines nearly 9 months ago. I tried to get a booster but they denied me because they only have Phizer now and Are telling me 3 shots are unsafe. Huh?

I am 71and living in Thailand same health issues.  i received my booster shot of Pfizer on December 22 almost 3 months after my 2nd shot of Astra Zenica.  My 1st shot was Sinovac.

You get what is available.

On 12/14/2021 at 9:47 PM, oldschooler said:

there’s nothing to think about.here you get free from govt. the known single western vax booster what’s offered at your local govt. facility. or shop around privately for your “preference”.

patong govt hospital yesterday gave me the Moderna Booster. the only offer. saw some farang clown insisting on Pfizer…..with a free immediate govt. Moderna booster offered…..like he’s a medical expert… he left…western vax is western vax….. its all good…..way better than nothing…. had two free govt. AZ … we now know this gives zero protection against Omicron …… Moderna Booster puts that around 35% …. the mRNA booster on top of “viral vector” AZ is a strong & recommended combo…….would have taken it even with no vax knowledge……

I think your comment "would have taken it with no vax knowledge" says it all lol 

The local poo yai finally announced a visit to my village on the 18th of this month from the local health office to offer a booster, as long as it's been at least 3 months since your 2nd jab.

Choice of Astra Zenica or Pfizer. Wife and I discussed this for a while but honestly, I have no clue if we have made the right choice with so many stories everywhere from 'don't get a booster, don't get AZ, don't get Pfizer!'.

After 1 Sinovac and 1 Astra Zenica, we put our names down for Pfizer. No idea if that's the best option.

If I were not in the most vulnerable group I'd stop at 2 jabs.