News Forum - First Omicron death reported in UK, variant now accounts for 40% of London cases

Thaiger

The UK has reported its first death from the Omicron Covid-19 variant as the mutation looks set to become the dominant strain in the coming days. According to a Reuters report, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson says the variant currently accounts for 40% of infections in London. The government has introduced tougher restrictions and Johnson is urging people to come forward for booster vaccine doses. “Sadly, at least one patient has now been confirmed to have died with Omicron. So, I think the idea that this is somehow a milder version of the virus – I think that’s something we […]

The story First Omicron death reported in UK, variant now accounts for 40% of London cases as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

And ....we're off!! 🐎

"Died with Omicron"

I haven't seen any details about the person, such as age, pre- existing factors, or whether they just died of natural causes.

Was the person vaccinated...?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So all the travel restrictions , tests and quarantining have been useless and a waste of time and money  in stopping the spread of the new variants .

The U.K's 14 day 2500 GBP hotel quarantining or the 14 day home quarantining , the pre departure PCR tests and the two tests upon arrival   did not stop new variants from entering the Country .

Waste of time and effort and a huge inconvenience and expense for many people have been a waste of time, money and effort .

As its ineffective, they should just stop all the travel restrictions 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Faraday said:

And ....we're off!! 🐎

"Died with Omicron"

I haven't seen any details about the person, such as age, pre- existing factors, or whether they just died of natural causes.

Nope, I checked 5 mainstream media, not one single information on the deceased.

So the article says that "...the variant currently accounts for 40% of infections in London". (according to Javid on the BBC webiste, it is 20% in England). So that is a lot of people but only one death and as the article also mentions, "...currently just 10 people hospitalised with the Omicron variant". In the UK for the past 4 months, there has been 100+++, and some days over 200 deaths from covid, so I guess from the Delta variant. So the 20% in England (according to Javid) with the Omicron have either no symptoms or not very sick or not sick at all...apart from 10 (so far). And they should be getting some natural immunity as well. But no, we will not get away without another panic propaganda. On and on and on...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This seems to me as if it's scaremongering.

The lockdowns in the UK, & the restrictions, were, according to my sister, gruelling & frightening.

There seemed to be light at the end of the tunnel, with restrictions being lifted. Now, an unproved virus, that appears not to be 'as bad as Covid' appears.

So those scant details released will scare people.

Wonder why they would do that....?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

And ....we're off!! 🐎

"Died with Omicron"

What's the use? It's just 1 case so any knowledge about correlation/vaccination status/ pre- existing factors/... gives no insights (except perhaps to friends, neighbors and acquaintances in general, who might glean information that should be private). Such data only gets relevant & useful when you can start considering averages within cohorts.

16 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

What's the use? It's just 1 case so any knowledge about correlation/vaccination status/ pre- existing factors/... gives no insights (except perhaps to friends, neighbors and acquaintances in general, who might glean information that should be private). Such data only gets relevant & useful when you can start considering averages within cohorts.

I explained this in my post #12353. 🤶

Many people just don't have the time to wade through the science, they're too busy working their behinds off to pay the rent/mortgage.

I would bet that the irresponsible reporting, has made many people have an omg moment.

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Wonder why they would do that....?

Umm ... so that those needing routine operations only have to wait a year or two rather than up to five years because the priority is treating those hospitalised with Covid-19?

... or maybe so that those admitted to hospital by A&E don't spend 12 hours waiting in the ambulance for a bed because all the beds are occupied with Covid patients, so that those waiting for an ambulance don't wait up to 40 hours for an ambulance by which time they've died?

... just maybe ... 😢

2 hours ago, Manu said:

Nope, I checked 5 mainstream media, not one single information on the deceased.

So the article says that "...the variant currently accounts for 40% of infections in London". (according to Javid on the BBC webiste, it is 20% in England). So that is a lot of people but only one death and as the article also mentions, "...currently just 10 people hospitalised with the Omicron variant". In the UK for the past 4 months, there has been 100+++, and some days over 200 deaths from covid, so I guess from the Delta variant. So the 20% in England (according to Javid) with the Omicron have either no symptoms or not very sick or not sick at all...apart from 10 (so far). And they should be getting some natural immunity as well. But no, we will not get away without another panic propaganda. On and on and on...

Rates of Omicron are doubling in the UK every two and a half days.

I'm sure you can do the maths of what that means in a few weeks time.

• Angry 1

Just now, Stonker said:

If the Omicron virus isn't as severe as the previous variants and its only mild , it would mean the end of the pandemic and we can all get back to normal 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Fluke said:

If the Omicron virus isn't as severe as the previous variants and its only mild , it would mean the end of the pandemic and we can all get back to normal 

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride ...

... if the queen had balls she'd be the king ...

... if my aunt had wheels she'd be a trolley ...

... etc

31 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Umm ... so that those needing routine operations only have to wait a year or two rather than up to five years because the priority is treating those hospitalised with Covid-19?

... or maybe so that those admitted to hospital by A&E don't spend 12 hours waiting in the ambulance for a bed because all the beds are occupied with Covid patients, so that those waiting for an ambulance don't wait up to 40 hours for an ambulance by which time they've died?

... just maybe ... 😢

What's that got to do with my post ...?

4 minutes ago, Stonker said:

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride ...

... if the queen had balls she'd be the king ...

... if my aunt had wheels she'd be a trolley ...

... etc

They are still doing tests on the Omicron virus and initial results suggests that its not as severe as the previous variants and it is quite mild . 

Thats not a wish, that's scientific research 

20 minutes ago, Faraday said:

What's that got to do with my post ...?

You asked ...

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

So those scant details released will scare people.

Wonder why they would do that....?

I answered "why they would do that". 😇

48 minutes ago, Stonker said:

You asked ...

I answered "why they would do that". 😇

Are you purposely misinterpreting my post, because I was talking about scare tactics.

Anyway, leave it alone now - ok na?

There is a big difference between dying with Omicron and dying because of Omicron. My wife registers deaths here in the uk and the covid figures are a sham, if it was a young fit healthy person the media would be telling you that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

So therefore it should not be in the news all over... therefore it is not a news.

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Only if for some reason you enjoy speculating. I can also do that: Omicron is very mild, hardly anyone (vaccinated or not) and with severe comorbidities die from it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rangers said:

There is a big difference between dying with Omicron and dying because of Omicron. My wife registers deaths here in the uk and the covid figures are a sham, if it was a young fit healthy person the media would be telling you that. 

I have seen in reported in the news that he died because of Omicron , its says Omicron killed him, whereas he just died and also had Omicron , which its highly likely was irrelevant to his death .

Seems like there's an agenda or something  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

Are you purposely misinterpreting my post, because I was talking about scare tactics.

Anyway, leave it alone now - ok na?

No, I answered your question - that you thought reasonable steps and reporting were "scare tactics" was the only "misinterpretation" - ok, na?

Hint: if you don't want a question answered as you may not get the answer you want, it's probably better not to ask it.

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Only if for some reason you enjoy speculating. I can also do that: Omicron is very mild, hardly anyone (vaccinated or not) and with severe comorbidities die from it.

No, the rate of increase isn't speculation, it's fact as so far it's doubled every two and a half days.

If it increases at that rate, "hardly anyone" becomes tens if not hundreds of thousands.

Sorry if that doesn't suit your agenda that it's all a fraud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fluke said:

... he just died and also had Omicron , which its highly likely was irrelevant to his death .

... and that's based on what information that the rest of us mere mortals aren't privy to?

2 hours ago, Fluke said:

Seems like there's an agenda or something  

It certainly does 😂!

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

No, the rate of increase isn't speculation, it's fact as so far it's doubled every two and a half days.

If it increases at that rate, "hardly anyone" becomes tens if not hundreds of thousands.

Sorry if that doesn't suit your agenda that it's all a fraud.

Your a good little sheep, keep towing the line

• Like 5