News Forum - Geminid meteor shower: 100s of shooting stars visible late Monday night

Thaiger

For those up late tomorrow night, the Geminid meteor shower will be visible in the night sky late on Monday night. The heavenly display happens each year, usually between December 4 and December 17 each year and is one of the best opportunities to see dozens of shooting stars with the naked eye. In a post on Facebook, the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand informed the public that the Geminid meteor shower will be visible late on Monday evening until Tuesday in the early morning. While the shower is expected to start around midnight Monday night, later than last […]

The story Geminid meteor shower: 100s of shooting stars visible late Monday night as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I will be, weather permitting, sitting outside in a lawn chair enjoying God's show; SHE has a knack for theatrics.

I tend to look at this kind of thing in two ways.

First, I am fiercely proud of Humanity that we have advanced our science enough to fully understand what we are seeing, to know when to see it, and precisely what it is. We live in an age of wonder where we are seeing to the end of the cosmos and discovering new and fascinating things on a daily basis. I often wonder how future historians will perceive us, and while our current era will be exceedingly complex, one of the things highlighted will be called the true Dawn of the Era of Humans and Space.

(BTW, for all space junkies, have a look at the articles below about the Webb Telescope that will be launched soon)

Alternatively, while I enjoy speculating about future historian's perspectives, I think one should also ponder how our ancestors viewed it all. Imagine if you were a hunter out at night and saw hundreds of shooting stars; what would you have thought? Would it have been a good omen? A bad omen? Something to fear or a sign of something greater than you? 'Proof' of a superior life-form? Or perhaps just a pretty sight? No matter which, it simply wouldn't have been ignored.

One thing is certain; it'll be a great show. 

Happy Gazing to one and all!

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/18/world/james-webb-space-telescope-faq-scn-film/index.html

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/15/world/james-webb-space-telescope-explainer-scn/index.html

11 minutes ago, Haole.TH said:

Great night to have a room / tent up at Mon Chaem in Mae Rim ... With a lady and bottle of wine too!😜

And a football and an 18 inch pizza as well and some barbeque ribs 

7 hours ago, Haole.TH said:

Great night to have a room / tent up at Mon Chaem in Mae Rim ... With a lady and bottle of wine too!😜

Screw that, Thailand has to many things that go bump in the dark!

Take my chances on my balcony without the young lady of the house! Its to late for her , she’ll be fast asleep counting buda’s.