News Forum - “All Thais are equal but some are more equal than others”

Thaiger

OPNION “We decided to adopt this system, so we must have confidence in the democratic system.” Words from the Thai Parliamentary president Chuan Leekpai urging, or willing, the Thai voters not to “become disheartened with the current state of Thai politics” and to have “confidence in the democratic system”. The democratic system? Constitution Day was on Friday as Thais commemorate the day, 89 years ago, when Thailand moved, overnight, to a constitutional democracy from its previous absolute monarchy. That initial Thai Constitution was the first of 20 constitutional and charter documents which have aimed to frame the country’s unique version […]

The story “All Thais are equal but some are more equal than others” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

35 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Thais must work together to find ways to eradicate vote-buying in elections.

Or those buying votes must pay more to keep up with inflation.
My wife told me the going rate is now 1,000 Baht.

14 minutes ago, Stardust said:

The junta raped, bluntered the country and destroyed the democracy. 

There wasn't a great democracy before the unelected soldier posing as a PM took over the country at gunpoint in 2014.

It is just that it is now much worse with the Junta in charge.

52 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

What democracy ever really existed? 

In France, Germany, Italy, Netherland, Sweden, Switzerland, etc, etc

Joking or what? 

And all on the list of high developed countries and in this list you not find China or any other criminal dictatorship countries!

6 minutes ago, Stardust said:

In France, Germany, Italy, Netherland, Sweden, Switzerland, etc, etc

Joking or what? 

And all on the list of high developed countries and in this list you not find China or any other criminal dictatorship countries!

If you mean in Thaiand then some may remember 97 constitution

Thanks Tim for this very interesting explanation of the current political situation in the Kingdom. I hope you will continue to find the time to write these opinion pieces regularly. I value your insight and your professionalism in being able to write about these issues in depth without crossing any lines which may exist here. It’s a real skill and I hope you enjoy the challenge and the break from having to update us on the latest news re soapy massages in Pattaya. I’d happily upgrade from a member to a legend if these became regular pieces on the Thaiger. 

• Like 3