News Forum - 200 funeral attendees quarantined after deceased diagnosed with Covid-19

Thaiger

Attendees to a large funeral in Phetchabun province have now been isolated after it was discovered that the person who died was infected with Covid-19. The funeral took place in the Nong Phai district of the northern province and was attended by over 200 people who then had to be quarantined. The Nong Phai District Hospital said that they were wrong to allow the family of the 78 year old woman to take her body after she died in order to perform funeral rites and ceremonies. They informed the people who participated in her funeral that they would need to […]

The story 200 funeral attendees quarantined after deceased diagnosed with Covid-19 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, RampantRabbit said:

What were they doing to her?  full  on snogging  or something?

Good to see necrophilia is still 'alive' and kicking.

54 minutes ago, RampantRabbit said:

What were they doing to her?  full  on snogging  or something?

I don’t think she was still warm at that point.

Sorry my apologies for the insensitive crude joke. May she Rest In Peace. 

• Haha 1

Out of an abundance of caution (i.e. an abundance of phobia), authorities "...informed the people who participated in her funeral that they would need to go into isolation while medical officials observe them for Covid-19 infections".

From the CDC website,

"COVID-19 spreads when an infected person breathes out droplets and very small particles that contain the virus. These droplets and particles can be breathed in by other people or land on their eyes, noses, or mouth."

and

"People who are closer than 6 feet from the infected person are most likely to get infected."

If the 78 year old lady was able to infect people, then...

1) are we sure she was dead? Can't for the life of me recall any tales of a deceased who "...breathes out droplets and very small particles..."

2) if indeed she was deceased and presumably not breathing, (droplets/particles or not), and was able to "infect" others despite not expelling airborne pathogen(s), why are we instructed, under penalty of law, to wear masks?

In any event, I'm still not getting the jab.

• Like 1

I have had to deal with this situation directly in my work. The chances of contracting Covid from a deceased person are extremely low. You would have to breath in their breath or somehow ingest their body fluids to contract the virus. Caution is very wise. But as long as Full PPE worn by mortuary staff and the person is not moved in such a way the air would be expelled from the lungs during their preparation, all is well. For viewings, the coffin should be sealed with a Perspex screen to prevent mourners touching the deceased person. It's also wise to sanitise the outside of the coffin or casket before the Funeral. After that, it can proceed as normal. If these things were followed, there would be no need to suspect or isolate anyone. They would be more likely to contract Covid from other people at the funeral, than the deceased person.

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

I have had to deal with this situation directly in my work. The chances of contracting Covid from a deceased person are extremely low. You would have to breath in their breath or somehow ingest their body fluids to contract the virus. Caution is very wise. But as long as Full PPE worn by mortuary staff and the person is not moved in such a way the air would be expelled from the lungs during their preparation, all is well. For viewings, the coffin should be sealed with a Perspex screen to prevent mourners touching the deceased person. It's also wise to sanitise the outside of the coffin or casket before the Funeral. After that, it can proceed as normal. If these things were followed, there would be no need to suspect or isolate anyone. They would be more likely to contract Covid from other people at the funeral, than the deceased person.

A little different here sometimes.

Recently a very old lady died in the village, she was transported to the temple and laid out, with a ceremony of monks and prayers, a walk past of many who all touched the hand of the deceased and placed a small flower on the body.

The coffin was also opened some days later just prior to cremation and many placed flowers in the coffin and possible there was also contact by close relatives with the body.

Having seen this myself I can understand the concern in this case.

• Like 1