News Forum - Eyesore wires and cables are being cleaned up in Bangkok

Thaiger

Looking up in Bangkok might be a bit clearer now, and you’ve got Hollywood to thank for it. After Russell Crowe went viral during his trip to film a movie in Thailand for his tweets, particularly one displaying the mess of wires strung across Bangkok streets, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission worked with the Metropolitan Electricity Authority to clean up the jumble of cables. After the viral tweet got Thai people calling on something to be done, The MEA defended themselves, saying that the wires in his photo were not theirs and were, in fact, communication cables. Electric cabling […]

The story Eyesore wires and cables are being cleaned up in Bangkok as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

25 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

circa 2005 and still going strong

These things take time.
Things only happen when the likes of Bill Gates, Russell Crowe, or anyone capable of causing the government to lose face makes comments on social media.

Bluesofa's law of sarcasm: The speed of the removal of redundant cables and putting the the rest underground is proportional to amount amount of face lost internationally.

49 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The NBTC’s district 11 office partnered with the MEA’s Bang Kapi office and local telecom firms to undertake the task of detangling the cables at Soi Petchaburi 31 in Bang Kapi, with unused wires being removed. They expected the full rewiring cleanup project to be done by December 15.

One soi nearly done, thousands more to go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Shark said:

well... maybe in 2032 when those tourists come back for pictures.

2032 - that's just after 8:30pm, you'd probably need to use a flash.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Bluesofa's law of sarcasm: The speed of the removal of redundant cables and putting the the rest underground is proportional to amount amount of face lost internationally.

And the rising price of copper. 

• Like 1

Do you reckon I might see the removal of all these wires, when I arrive in March???   Oh....ok....yep...I understand....it's a bit like long Covid...got it! ( I don't have Covid...but yep...I got it!)

Wrong , when the price of those redundant cables goes up they will disappear overnight, no one will have electricity or communications and a lot of criminals will have fire sales on cables. That's sarcasm.😃

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, palooka said:

Wrong , when the price of those redundant cables goes up they will disappear overnight, no one will have electricity or communications and a lot of criminals will have fire sales on cables. That's sarcasm.😃

Although I'd say never underestimate the stupidly of the thieves.
A few years ago a local was found dead at the bottom of an electric pole. Turned out he was trying to steal the power cables by using metal bolt cutters to cut through live power cables.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

… and thus the natural habitat of doves is reduced even further ;-(

Were there two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree power pole?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Christmas Carol....nice. 5 lost faces, 4 homeless doves, 3 dead thieves, 2 working wires and a partridge in a power pole! What's next? Deck the halls with copper wires! Falalalalalalalala🙃

• Haha 1