News Forum - Key info for those planning to retire in Thailand

Thaiger

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Good catch.

Misinformation or misleading .I wish the mods would proof read these articles.

Similar content  was found in another article a while back ,making it appear that all  retired  expats were required to have health ins,when it really was meant  for  OA  long stay visa holders.

Since the Covid pandemic, insurance is mandatory if you wish to come to Thailand and then even retire.  Covid insurance, as well as 50K USD Health Insurance, now once your in the country and transition to an O visa well then maybe just maybe Bobs your Uncle and you escape the insurance.  If on an O-A visa you are required to have insurance to stay in the country and it must be shown at every extension......

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Good catch.

Misinformation or misleading .I wish the mods would proof read these articles.

Similar content  was found in another article a while back ,making it appear that all  retired  expats were required to have health ins,when it really was meant  for  OA  long stay visa holders.

Might one expect anything less than tabloid?

47 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Since the Covid pandemic, insurance is mandatory if you wish to come to Thailand and then even retire.  Covid insurance, as well as 50K USD Health Insurance, now once your in the country and transition to an O visa well then maybe just maybe Bobs your Uncle and you escape the insurance.  If on an O-A visa you are required to have insurance to stay in the country and it must be shown at every extension......

Not totally correct. Those of us on Non O based on retirement are not required to have insurance. The requirement may be for those entering and/or on AO visas.

I do have insurance but it's not required. 

• Like 3

Face it retiring in Thailand is not for everyone. If someone doesn't want to learn the language and Thai ways it can be very fustrating. Some even try to force Thais to learn English and/or adapt western ways but it doesn't work well. Retiring in a foreign culture requires people to transform themselves and adapt. Some are very sucessful some are not. It's up to you.

The result of lack of transformation is bitterness, always comparing thing to those back home, lack of acceptance by locals (always an outsider), etc. IMO that's why there are so many Thai bashers on the forums.

That said, I remember in management classes that pointed out that people complain 10x more than compliment, when the situation is equal. So maybe we should deminish complaints by 10 compained negatively to those who compliment.

Another issue for recently retired is that retirement is a major life changing event, whether at home or in Thailand. If like myself you work 40+ years getting up, going to work, and never having enough time to 100% free time. Add that to having a wife who does the same. I'm not saying it's bad but again its a major adjustment.

Then putting all together, new language, and culture; no longer working in a structured enviroment; getting older, it becomes too much if your not prepared.

I was lucky to have spent 5 years in academic studies years ago. I adapted to the culture because most of my friends were Thai and I learned the language. My wife helps but isn't patient as a teacher, but really reinforces the cultural part and can explain in English when required. I still miss working to some extent and wish I could volunteer legally in Thailand. 

• Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 3:12 PM, Thaiger said:

For example, a retired couple should be able to live quite comfortably on £1,600 (71,000 THB, 2,100 USD) a month, but of course, it depends on your lifestyle.

While the cost of living is low in Thailand, it is still important to have a savings of at least £20,000 (890,000 THB, 26,500USD), probably more, depending if you’re getting anything paid to you from outside the kingdom

Anyone who thinks a retired couple can live here quite comfortably on 71,000 baht a month with only 890,000 baht in savings, starting from scratch, with no experience here, nowhere to live and no transport all of which they have to pay for out of that, has a very different idea of living comfortably to me.

It's perfectly possible to live here comfortably  on that as an income, but not for a couple with next to nothing in the bank and no experience here.

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Anyone who thinks a retired couple can live here quite comfortably on 71,000 baht a month with only 890,000 baht in savings, starting from scratch, with no experience here, nowhere to live and no transport all of which they have to pay for out of that, has a very different idea of living comfortably to me.

It's perfectly possible to live here comfortably  on that as an income, but not for a couple with next to nothing in the bank and no experience here.

I agree. If you own a house and your car is paid for you might be ok, if you don’t try living like a foreigner. If you enjoy Thai food and do Thai things you’ll be ok. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I agree. If you own a house and your car is paid for you might be ok, if you don’t try living like a foreigner. If you enjoy Thai food and do Thai things you’ll be ok. 

Remember, that's supposed to be a married couple retiring here on that, not just an individual - that's very different and much harder to change to doing "Thai things".