News Forum - How to get a Thai driver’s license as a foreigner

Thaiger

Foreigners who live or travel to Thailand frequently may be interested in the steps needed to get a driver’s license in the Kingdom. For those who are applying for the first time, and do not have an international drivers license, the information below can help you navigate the process. One thing in which to note, is that the process of obtaining a Thai driving license will be much easier if you have a valid driving license from your home country in English or an International Driving Permit. If you have either of these, you won’t have to pass the physical […]

The story How to get a Thai driver’s license as a foreigner as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

18 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Foreigners who live or travel to Thailand frequently may be interested in the steps needed to get a driver’s license in the Kingdom.

or just follow a lot of the locals and don't bother .. just get yo'self an amulet instead .. 

• Haha 2

The certificate of residence must be valid for 1 year.

Last time I renewed my driving licences, the "free of charge" certificate of residence, where they now ask 300 baht for, instead of 100, from the immigration (Phuket) was valid just 30 days.

Aside, If I remember that right, someone with a tourist visa, single, can/could apply for it.

How would that work out with this 1 year rule?

10 minutes ago, Transam said:

Tourist or non-long stay visa holders get a 2 year temporary licence...

Certified of residency from the immigration office is good for 90 days only. You need a picture to apply. 

This subject becoming Repetitive. And Always with Different “Requirements”. Individual Boring Stories of  “How I Got My TDL” will now follow…….the Endless TDL Threads & Posts were one reason I left that “other” nameless forum…….like being trapped in rotating echo chamber or “Groundhog Day” movie script ! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

This subject becoming Repetitive. And Always with Different “Requirements”. Individual Boring Stories of  “How I Got My TDL” will now follow…….the Endless TDL Threads & Posts were one reason I left that “other” nameless forum…….like being trapped in rotating echo chamber or “Groundhog Day” movie script ! 

Why not just go to the database and ask. That's what I did. Very easy. 

They also have a web site with the required on line test , in English.

4 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Why not just go to the database and ask. That's what I did. Very easy. 

They also have a web site with the required on line test , in English.

well, exactly. just visit DLT with the stated DLT website docs and progress at source from there…..

after stating that multiple times on the other forum and getting abuse I just abandoned the topic.

2 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

well, exactly. just visit DLT with the stated DLT website docs and progress at source from there…..

after stating that multiple times on the other forum and getting abuse I just abandoned the topic.

My point was not to trust what's on the forum. Check it out.

My wife who was licensed in the US went to a driving school. I think they charged B1000 and helped with everything. That's also a option.

You sound frustrated and having the driving school instructor holding your hand might help.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

My point was not to trust what's on the forum. Check it out.

My wife who was licensed in the US went to a driving school. I think they charged B1000 and helped with everything. That's also a option.

You sound frustrated and having the driving school instructor holding your hand might help.

<deleted>……was trying to help people acquire their TDL….. clearly my frustration was with the Topic not the Process…… how did you not get that ? …….I’m an Expat ….dont need to “ check out” anything about TDL…something of an Expert…..have had three TDL myself……my “ go to DLT” advice is same as your advice to “forget this forum”….. using a driving school for the whole package is good advice……for those without foreign DL…… you imagining I dont have any DL and need driving instruction is just freakin’ weird…….as is your silly halfwit “hand holding” suggestion….. perhaps you are under medication…….made a note to avoid/ ignore  you here ……..you are dismissed…….

Edited by KaptainRob
Abusive comment removed
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

<deleted content>……was trying to help people acquire their TDL….. clearly my frustration was with the Topic not the Process…… how did you not get that ? …….I’m an Expat ….dont need to “ check out” anything about TDL…something of an Expert…..have had three TDL myself……my “ go to DLT” advice is same as your advice to “forget this forum”….. using a driving school for the whole package is good advice……for those without foreign DL…… you imagining I dont have any DL and need driving instruction is just freakin’ weird…….as is your silly halfwit “hand holding” suggestion….. perhaps you are under medication…….made a note to avoid/ ignore  you here ……..you are dismissed…….

It's  weird that you ask for help and dismiss and suggestions. 

A few minor edits done to maintain the peace.  Readers are reminded that we have our own guide in the section below and you should not rely on the above article which contains erroneous advice as noted above.

3 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Last time I renewed my driving licences, the "free of charge" certificate of residence, where they now ask 300 baht for, instead of 100, from the immigration (Phuket) was valid just 30 days.

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Certified of residency from the immigration office is good for 90 days only. You need a picture to apply. 

Firstly, it's a residence certificate (a certificate of residence is entirely different).
Application for residence certificate.pdf

There is nothing in writing as to the validity of a RC, it's entirely at the discretion of the department receiving it. 30 days is usually the minimum validity period, other DLT's may accept them 90 days old.

• Like 1

8 years ago I presented my USA picture license so I could obtain a Thai license. It was rejected by the transportation supervisor!

He didn’t understand the classifications (a,b,c )used in the states .

He suggested , if I wanted to forgo the test ,I should bring a international drivers permit the next time I came to Thailand .

I did  that and got a 2 year  without having to take a written or physical exam!

When I got married I upgraded my license to a 5 yr

note: Just like IO’s in province’s operate  differently ,transportation  does as well imop

• Like 4

13 hours ago, riclag said:

8 years ago I presented my USA picture license so I could obtain a Thai license. It was rejected by the transportation supervisor!

He didn’t understand the classifications (a,b,c )used in the states .

He suggested , if I wanted to forgo the test ,I should bring a international drivers permit the next time I came to Thailand .

I did  that and got a 2 year  without having to take a written or physical exam!

When I got married I upgraded my license to a 5 yr

note: Just like IO’s in province’s operate  differently ,transportation  does as well imop

Different rules in each location, Khon Kaen excepted my USA Drivers License no questions asked. After a vision test and 10 minutes listening to a thai film on driving rules and signs I was forwarded to a booth where pic was taken and handed my 2 year license. Once I was stopped in a traffic check point over 10 yrs ago, I handed my international license to cop who proceeded to laugh and say in other words "What the hell is this"

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nobusinessofurs said:

The film was much longer, I was only required to sit in for 10 minutes

The on line video that was required last year was about one hour. The questions were spread through so not watching the entire presentation didn't work. I suppose you could ask someone else to watch and answer but why. All in all it was a well done video.  At the end they give you the bar code to take to DLT.  I think this video is a step in the right direction, since there are so many complaints about driving in Thailand. 

16 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I think this video is a step in the right direction, since there are so many complaints about driving in Thailand. 

No complaints, I just thank Buddha each time I arrive home safely 🙏  besides, it's a great test of one's crash avoidance skill.

I always look forward to renewal time 🙄and that old video was horror to sit through.

• 2 months later...

If applying for a car and a motorcycle license at the same time, do you need 2 originals of the medical and residency certificate, or can you get one original and photocopy them (using one for car and one for motorcycle)?

2 hours ago, Cabra said:

If applying for a car and a motorcycle license at the same time, do you need 2 originals of the medical and residency certificate, or can you get one original and photocopy them (using one for car and one for motorcycle)?

Original + Copy

• Thanks 1