News Forum - Sinovac is testing its effectiveness against Omicron variant

Thaiger

Following the good news announcement from Pfizer that 3 doses of their vaccine can neutralise the Omicron variant, Sinovac came out with a more reserved announcement stating that lab studies about its effectiveness against the new strain would take time. The Chinese-based Sinovac is the most widely used vaccine in the world with over 2.3 billion doses shipped worldwide so far; Pfizer BioNTech is the second most used vaccine globally. After research showed the vaccine brand was inferior against the Delta variant, the manufacturers say they are conducting laboratory studies now to determine how effective Sinovac is against the new […]

The story Sinovac is testing its effectiveness against Omicron variant as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The information that hospitalizations are NOT going up in South Africa is completely wrong. Its the opposite, the hospitalizations are actually exploding in South Africa with the spread of Omicron. For live monitoring see the following link of the National Institute of Communicable Diseases in South Africa. For details select the epicenter of the Omicron outbreak, the "Gauteng" province : https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/daily-hospital-surveillance-datcov-report/

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

"suggesting that the more transmissible strain may not necessarily lead to more Covid-19 illnesses and death."

so sinovac could say it's 100% effective against Omicron variant  and gives protection against serious sickness and deaths and no one would know!

So can Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca etc............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll bet the Thai Government is hoping that the Chinese Vaccines work against Omicron, considering how many Thais are vaccinated with these vaccines....

• Angry 1

Here the details of the COVID related hospitalizations in the Omicron epicenter, the Gauteng province in South Africa. From week 45 to 49: 146 > 321 > 865 > 2046. That's exponential, the hospitalization curve is almost identical with the curve of new infections. Anything else is wishful thinking and ignorance.

hospitalisations.png

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

12 minutes ago, Stardusts said:

Here the details of the COVID related hospitalizations in the Omicron epicenter, the Gauteng province in South Africa. From week 45 to 49: 146 > 321 > 865 > 2046. That's exponential, the hospitalization curve is almost identical with the curve of new infections. Anything else is wishful thinking and ignorance.

hospitalisations.png

get educated <3

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ynwaps said:

get educated <3

He’s a nurse…

John L. Campbell is a British social media influencer and retired nurse”

Edited by dj230
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

41 minutes ago, Ynwaps said:

get educated <3

I propose you to follow epidemiologists and scientists and to read scientific reports, rather than to follow social media influencers who mix facts (hospitalizations exponentially rising) with non-factual self invented claims (most people have been admitted due to other reasons) to make some extra money. If you want I can make you some proposals? But you can also continue to get your info on Youtube and Facebook and stay in your information bubble ;-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sinovac is testing its effectiveness against Omicron variant

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are testing the effectiveness of Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine while they’re at it 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ynwaps said:

And you are? 🤣

He isn't against your view point. Disagreeing with everything by default much?

I actually never watched the video, all I did was look up his name to see if his information was credible, nor did I disagree with anything he said. All I stated was a fact. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThaiEyes said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are testing the effectiveness of Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine while they’re at it 😉

I would. The other two haven't ever been credible in China.

2 minutes ago, ThaiEyes said:

I dont know whether they are effective or not given there is so much conflicting information out there.

What I would suggest is that anyone who is not vaccinated (particularly in colder climes) starts taking vitamin D supplements which are proven to boost your own immune system.

Even if you are vaccinated it would do no harm to take them as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

Wow an old guy on YouTube made a video in his shed .. must be true ! 

As opposed to an anti vaxxer making videos in his moms basement? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

As opposed to an anti vaxxer making videos in his moms basement? 

No I'm on about 'get educated' comment by watching a YouTube video.. 🤣

• Angry 1

6 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Sinovac has proven to be highly effective at preventing serious illness and death

Really?

Where? In what country?

36 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

The WHO

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/the-sinovac-covid-19-vaccine-what-you-need-to-know

Not that great in preventing getting covid, but it does prevent serious illness/death at a high efficacy

Sorry, but your link doesn't actually say that.

It says that "We cannot compare the vaccines head-to-head due to the different approaches taken in designing the respective studies, but overall, all of the vaccines that have achieved WHO Emergency Use Listing are highly effective in preventing severe disease and hospitalization due to COVID-19".

Nit-picking to some, but the addition of "overall" unfortunately changes it from applying to each and every vaccine to only applying "overall".

A disappointing but not unusual bit of WHO BS.

8 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Sorry, but your link doesn't actually say that.

It says that "We cannot compare the vaccines head-to-head due to the different approaches taken in designing the respective studies, but overall, all of the vaccines that have achieved WHO Emergency Use Listing are highly effective in preventing severe disease and hospitalization due to COVID-19".

Nit-picking to some, but the addition of "overall" unfortunately changes it from applying to all to only applying "overall".

A disappointing but not unusual bit of WHO BS.

But wouldn't the efficacy figures prove it's effectiveness?

Those are actual numbers

I am by no means an expert in any of this, but is has gone through numerous trials and studies, even outside WHO, that shows it's effectiveness in preventing serious illness

These #'s are lower than 100%, in the high 80%

But I would consider that still pretty good efficacy, no?

According to a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine showing results from Chile, Sinovac has an efficacy rate of 65.9% against Covid-19, is 87.5% effective at preventing hospitalisation and 86.3% effective at preventing death.

39 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Do some of that there 'research.' 😀

I have.

No countries found that, particularly against the Delta variant - @Marc26's link gives some of the results, but only for limited Ph 1 -3 studies, not for full results.