News Forum - CAAT says no masks with valves onboard flights, medical or cloth masks required

Thaiger

To prevent the risk of Covid-19 from spreading during flights, face masks are required onboard aircraft, but now the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand is ordering all airlines in Thailand to ban the masks that have exhalation valves. Nok Air officially announced the measure yesterday. The authority also added that passengers and crew should wear either a medical face mask or a cloth face mask for the entire flight. According to the World Health Organisation, a mask with an exhalation valve is not suitable to wear during Covid-19 as the valve can be an access for particles to pass in […]

The story CAAT says no masks with valves onboard flights, medical or cloth masks required as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

While I wonder how evidence based this is, I always wear surgical masks. While the stats I have seen may also be dubious, a surgical mask reduces the risk by 45%. So if I wear two, I get 90% reduction....or I die from asphixiation🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surely breathing with a 'valved mask' cannot be so bad.. All the ones I use means I'm breathing thru' pm2.5 carbon lined filters inside the mask... This must be more efficient than a single skimpy surgical mask..?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cloth masks do next to nothing.  Surgical masks are a little better at preventing spread but not very effective.

KN95 are the mask you should have to protect yourself and others.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jason said:

While I wonder how evidence based this is, I always wear surgical masks. 

The "evidence base" is that when you breathe out the valve opens, so there's no filter at all for anything in front of the valve. 

Not really a problem for the wearer, but not great news for anyone in the line of fire!

6 hours ago, Jason said:

... a surgical mask reduces the risk by 45%. So if I wear two, I get 90% reduction....or I die from asphixiation🤣🤣🤣🤣

It may reduce the risk to you by 45%, but the bigger picture is how much it reduces the risk to others.

Wearing two masks doesn't double your protection - sorry! The filtration factor only changes marginally, but it does give everyone else more protection from you, though!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tanuki said:

Surely breathing with a 'valved mask' cannot be so bad.. All the ones I use means I'm breathing thru' pm2.5 carbon lined filters inside the mask... This must be more efficient than a single skimpy surgical mask..?

After nearly 2 years of this virus people still don’t understand the basics. The mask predominately protects other people from you if you are infected. Having a valved mask means you exhale unfiltered air. That’s why. That’s the point of it. That’s the basics of understanding. That’s day 1 of the course in understanding the basics of how Covid spreads. 

Sorry if I come across as a little frustrated. It’s because I can’t believe the comments people make sometimes. Do you understand now? Do you get the point of wearing a mask?  To protect others. They wear one to protect you and you wear one to protect others. No point if the air you exhale is unfiltered through an open valve.   

FCA555F1-B2A7-4DBD-8EE7-9356EFF3404D.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No matter which mask you wear, they are all extremely effective at show-casing 'I am an utterly obedient citizen that will go along with any nonsense the authorities feed me'. 

5 hours ago, BlueSphinx said:

No matter which mask you wear, they are all extremely effective at show-casing 'I am an utterly obedient citizen that will go along with any nonsense the authorities feed me'. 

While not wearing one, or deliberately wearing one incorrectly, is very effective at show-casing "the only person this display's fooling into thinking I've thought this through is myself, but I'm a selfish a*sehole who doesn't give a toss about others so I don't care as I've never had so much undeserved attention."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2021 at 8:20 PM, Tanuki said:

welcome to human logic

On 12/10/2021 at 7:34 AM, BlueSphinx said:

I'll still wear one in 7-11 though. Don't want to expose my fully vaccinated immune system to other people, especially older ones. Don't think I'll get a booster shot though. My non-vaccinated friend says we're already going along with everything else anyway.