News Forum - PM and Prawit put on show of unity over lunch, amid rumours of political infighting

Thaiger

Following murmurings of a rift, the Thai PM has had lunch with deputy PM Prawit Wongsuwon in what may be an attempt to dispel such rumours. The Bangkok Post reports that the lunch took place yesterday, at the Five Provinces Bordering Forest Preservation Foundation. Both men had just attended a meeting at the Army Club with Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda. Rumours of conflict between the PM and Prawit first emerged when the deputy PM stepped in to ensure Thamanat Prompow remained as secretary-general of the ruling Palang Pracharath Party. Thamanat had previously been sacked from his role as deputy agriculture […]

The story PM and Prawit put on show of unity over lunch, amid rumours of political infighting as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Luncheon? Looks like a funeral they are attending wearing all black. Was this a on opurpose picutre placed in their from the media? So where was the convicted powder dealer when this was all happening? Still on his I am for the people only tour with the minority groups?

I simply don't buy it.

If, and it is a very big 'if', Prayut continues next year after the 8th anniversary of him becoming PM (see the Thai constitution), I predict that Prawit will have "health" issues and be forced to step aside "to spend time with his family".

I am not privy to internal discussions between the two, but it is a matter of common sense, common politics and general human behaviour.

It is quite clear now that Prawit's protégé, the 'Flour Man', tried to lead a rebellion against Prayut; can anyone suggest another reason he was demoted out of Cabinet? And, can anyone give me a reason to believe that he did it without Prawit's blessing? No and No. Finally, can anyone give me a reason to think that Prayut is going to forgive and forget? I wouldn't; would you?

Have a look at the photo attached to the story to understand the next part. Prayut is younger, taller, better looking (not a high bar), more 'commanding' presence, etc. etc. etc. Does anyone believe that Prawit does NOT harbour some jealousies? They were roughly equal colleagues throughout their Army careers, but in the end, the younger man became PM, will go down in the history books, and received 'public acclaim' (three things very important to them) while the older is maligned as a watch-wearing mini-troll. Again, does anyone believe that Prawit does NOT harbour some jealousies? It would be irrational to think he doesn't, and fly in the face of human nature.

There may have been a 'show' of unity, but I wouldn't believe it.

I really hope that we see the last of them next year at the election, and I'd wager a great deal that, at minimum, Prawit will be out.