Paperwork to gain new sim card/phone No.

Tanuki

Wayhayy... I hope to land back in the LoS next week!

But, after being away nearly 2 yrs I reckon my AIS sim will have been cancelled & I'll have to get another + new number... BUT..

Last time I did this was quite easy..Popped into the local mall, into the AIS store, explained, answered "yes, I do have my passport with me" & the lady got me on-air.

Is it the same nowadays?  Is my passport the only document I have to take to abtain a Thai sim?  OR.. (in these changing times) do I have to produce copy of my visa, my digital T/P, a proof of residence, my vaccine certificates, flight details, a police report, a photo of the meal I had at lunchtime (OK, delete that one..only thais keep photos of their meals)   Many thanks in advance.

On 12/8/2021 at 10:10 AM, Tanuki said:

Wayhayy... I hope to land back in the LoS next week!

But, after being away nearly 2 yrs I reckon my AIS sim will have been cancelled & I'll have to get another + new number... BUT..

Last time I did this was quite easy..Popped into the local mall, into the AIS store, explained, answered "yes, I do have my passport with me" & the lady got me on-air.

Is it the same nowadays?  Is my passport the only document I have to take to abtain a Thai sim?  OR.. (in these changing times) do I have to produce copy of my visa, my digital T/P, a proof of residence, my vaccine certificates, flight details, a police report, a photo of the meal I had at lunchtime (OK, delete that one..only thais keep photos of their meals)   Many thanks in advance.

You should only need your passport. Your old SIM might have some life left though. You could go online and see if AIS thinks it's active and add some money to it. (That's assuming you have the AIS app already installed. Otherwise your quest will end with the "We sent you a one-time password" message...)

I buy one of the year long max speed/unlimited  sims from Lazada every year , pop into the True shop with only my passport and they are more than happy to register it for me in around 5 minutes.

Despite the fact that i bought it for half the price off the “ net “ and not from them !

1 hour ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I buy one of the year long max speed/unlimited  sims from Lazada every year , pop into the True shop with only my passport and they are more than happy to register it for me in around 5 minutes.

Despite the fact that i bought it for half the price off the “ net “ and not from them !

Do they transfer your number to the new SIM?

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

Do they transfer your number to the new SIM?

I’m not sure if that’s possible and changing your number every year probably won’t work for some but i do.

Tbh, I change my bank number at the atm ( SMS notification) notify WhatsApp and Line friends and am good to go, don’t remember the last i used my phone as a phone !!

I’ll enquire next time i change to see if transferring my number is possible.

• Thanks 1