News Forum - Expat gets hit in the head at Bangkok zoo, apparently for taking his mask off to eat

Thaiger

2 hours ago, Paco said:

That is what you get if the thai government learns the Thai to think that fallangs are dirty and brought covid to thailand... and certain thais are stupid to believe that.. 

Fair enough, but it's also what you get when a small minority of farangs think the rules don't apply to them because they know better, and we all end up being tarred with the same brush because of their stupidity and arrogance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Ok, so from now on eating is a bad thing. 

*notes*

Eating = bad

From now on we put all our food in a blender, so we can eat it through a straw which you can use while wearing a mask. You know what, we'll just put glue on it, so it'll never come off anymore and it eventually becomes a part of you. 

How about you just obey the rules, and wear a mask when you're supposed to rather than when it suits you?

Or if you're not prepared to do that, just don't go to areas where you're supposed to be masked up and everyone else is?

Is that really too much to ask?

• Like 2

Tonight went to first the morlam concert this year in Bangkok, first we have seen advertised. Everyone had masks on, but I thought I might get some reaction when I did not stand up for that song at the start. Need not have worried quite a few remained sitting.

Edited by Sarisin

Thais always blame the foreigner, don’t they realise that all the respiratory diseases in the last 70 years, Asian flu, bird flu sars etc have been started and spread by orientals NOT white people. The vicious attack by the Thai man should have resulted in a prosecution, imagine if a foreigner had hit a Thai person !

6 hours ago, Stonker said:

How about you just obey the rules, and wear a mask when you're supposed to rather than when it suits you?

Or if you're not prepared to do that, just don't go to areas where you're supposed to be masked up and everyone else is?

Is that really too much to ask?

How about if you just want to take a bite of something, you can just put it off for a second without being attacked? 

Oh you guys didn’t know?? You’re supposed to put your mask on between bites. 

Real easy take off mask, then put food in mouth, then put mask back on and chew. Also don’t breathe when you take your mask off

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

Oh you guys didn’t know?? You’re supposed to put your mask on between bites. 

Real easy take off mask, then put food in mouth, then put mask back on and chew. Also don’t breathe when you take your mask off

Or just eat at a dinner table in a designated place and refrain from eating in other public places 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, steve860 said:

Why were they privileged?

Do you not consider yourself privileged to be here then ? 

Both financially and quality of life wise compared with the average Thai person I recognise I am defiantly  privileged as I know they wont be retiring to the UK  when they finish work. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, TukTuk said:

How do you "suspect" when you weren't even there?

He wasnt wearing a mask before the show started , he wasn't wearing a mask during the show and he wasn't wearing a mask after the show , which suggests that he wasn't wearing a mask at all and he just used the "eating" as an excuse and probably wasnt true , unless he was having a three course meal and was waiting for dessert 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"the woman says her husband took off the mask for a while to eat "

That's the crux of it, how long is a while ?   in a venue of mask wearing people maybe a Swedish  while is equal to a Thai much too long 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

Do you not consider yourself privileged to be here then ? 

Both financially and quality of life wise compared with the average Thai person I recognise I am defiantly  privileged as I know they wont be retiring to the UK  when they finish work. 

So You spoke to them about their retirement plans?

11 hours ago, Stonker said:

Fair enough, but it's also what you get when a small minority of farangs think the rules don't apply to them because they know better, and we all end up being tarred with the same brush because of their stupidity and arrogance.

The guy wanted to eat something for God sake,  next thai I see eating something  should i hit his brains in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Ok. Let's say self 

Is there any warning about not wearing a mask when foreigners enter Thailand by air, anything at the airport or stated when applying for Thai Pass?

57 minutes ago, Paco said:

The guy wanted to eat something for God sake,  next thai I see eating something  should i hit his brains in?

That wouldn't be a good idea , and I would suggest that you shouldn't do that 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, steve860 said:

Is there any warning about not wearing a mask when foreigners enter Thailand by air, anything at the airport or stated when applying for Thai Pass?

I cannot answer you that, but for us living here it is commonly known to do so in a place that is required within reason. Eating is a different thing in a sense, so we don't know all the details of what happened and went wrong with the foreigner at the zoo. So anyway, the foreing guy at the zoo should not have been hit no matter what, and the mentailty maybe as such as a Techno student attitude from here. He should have been asked to put on his mask is the way. or if eating in an inappropriate pal;ce should have had the common sense to not eat or to move. For many foreingers around CM they are blatantly side stepping the rules in places that is common sense one should have the mask on. Not saying Thai don't do it, but we stick out like sore thumbs here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paco said:

The latter probably isn't a good idea, but the former simply isn't an excuse.

If the rule is that masks are worn in that area, which it very clearly was, then the rule is that masks are worn - end of story.  If he wanted to eat something, pick his nose, or have a drink, he should have either gone elsewhere or done so as quickly as possible while covering up so that it would have the least effect on others, just as other people regularly do. However you spin it, that clearly wasn't what he was doing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

For many foreingers around CM they are blatantly side stepping the rules in places that is common sense one should have the mask on. Not saying Thai don't do it, but we stick out like sore thumbs here.

Agreed - I'm the only farang locally so I try to avoid doing something like that as I "stick out like a sore thumb", but when in the city (Loei, Udon, Khon Kaen, Chumphae) I probably see equal numbers of Thais and farangs "side stepping the rules".  The difference is that I'll see literally hundreds or thousands of Thais for every farang that I see, so while I may see one in a few hundred Thais "side stepping the rules", it's maybe half the farangs.

16 hours ago, Paco said:

That is what you get if the thai government learns the Thai to think that fallangs are dirty and brought covid to thailand... and certain thais are stupid to believe that.. 

The article doesn't say the attached was Thai,  so implying that he was is not factual. 

Apparently the mask was off for a period of time, not a bite from a sandwich or sip of coke, so he was clearly flaunting the rules.  I'm a peaceful guy but understand why the person reached. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

How about if you just want to take a bite of something, you can just put it off for a second without being attacked? 

Perfectly reasonable - "put it off for a second",  go somewhere where you have some social distance from others, lean behind a friends back, turn away from everyone else. Countless alternatives.

No need to "put all our food in a blender, so we can eat it through a straw which you can use while wearing a mask" - just display some consideration for others.

There was no excuse at all for hitting the guy over the head, just as there was no excuse for the guy who was drop kicked in Chiang Mai for thinking he was entitled to walk down the middle of the road, but some farangs are pushing what's acceptable here.   Plenty of Thais do too, but they don't "stick out like sore thumbs" and they don't seem to do so to the same extent.

• Like 1

The hypocrisy of someone who goes in a crowded place for non-essential activities without a FFP2 protective mask and then thinks he suddenly became a vigilante because someone is trying to enjoy his life without a mask on his face for a little while as it is clear now that we will have to wear masks for our whole life.

I'm sure this thai man is blessed with moral perfection.

• Like 3