News Forum - Koh Samui agent gives honest property review by standing in waist-deep floodwater

Thaiger

For those looking into buying land in Thailand, the potential for flooding is one of the first concerns that comes up. One property agent on Koh Samui is being honest about the rising water levels… So honest that he decided to shoot a video of himself holding up the land title deed while waist-deep murky floodwater. The 45 year old real estate agent, Jongrak Meedet, posted a video on his Tiktok @jongrakmeedet that features himself walking through flood water, even flooding down the stream as he held up the document. He says he did it to show that the land […]

The story Koh Samui agent gives honest property review by standing in waist-deep floodwater as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Traditional Thai houses were built of wood and could be moved to areas less prone to flood. If you pick a beautiful spot on the river, you need to do you homework and be sure your on high ground. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a pretty trustworthy real estate agent, who will probably now become a millionaire after his fame online. Of course it's always wise to do the research before buying any property. It's just as wise to do the research on where you stay for a holiday. On my first trip to Thailand, I checked that the hotel I booked was above the level of the Tsunami!!! It was and we had a great holiday. My city is built on a flood plain and there are maps of where previous floods have risen. Having said that, riverfront property goes up and down. So buy immediately after a flood and sell a few years later, when people have forgotten 🙂

I wonder if the vendor will be as impressed with him as the potential buyers?

This story reminds me of when the UK Estate Agency was very unregulated and had more cowboys than the wild west. You'd have to know London to fully appreciate this post, but in those days agents were quite shameless in doing whatever it to took to enhance the attractiveness of a property.

One trick that I saw a couple times was the invention of "new" areas. Once there was a shortage of properties in a desirable area, nearby areas were renamed by some agents. If you were living in Hampstead, you were generally likely to be with the elite. Even West Hampstead was considered "well to do". Chelsea was another property hot spot. 

When there was a shortage of desirable homes in these areas, some agents created the mythical areas of North West Hampstead, and South West Chelsea. These were in fact the generally working class areas of Kilburn and Battersea. The only thing that the agents required to justify the renaming, was proximity to the real deal.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Sounds like a pretty trustworthy real estate agent, who will probably now become a millionaire after his fame online. Of course it's always wise to do the research before buying any property. It's just as wise to do the research on where you stay for a holiday. On my first trip to Thailand, I checked that the hotel I booked was above the level of the Tsunami!!! It was and we had a great holiday. My city is built on a flood plain and there are maps of where previous floods have risen. Having said that, riverfront property goes up and down. So buy immediately after a flood and sell a few years later, when people have forgotten 🙂

FYI: This has nothing todo with a Tsunami but recent monsoon gave Samui a bit of a lot water that plus some work on the hill here. But good that the hotel was safe for you.

3 hours ago, Prosaap said:

A honest thai thats something you not see every day

Even rarer is an honest property agent Thai or Foreigner, so good to see this is one very honest Thai.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

On my first trip to Thailand, I checked that the hotel I booked was above the level of the Tsunami!!! It was and we had a great holiday. 

Staying in a hotel above the level of the tsunami and had a great holiday? 

I guess you are not talking about that you were there during the tsunami, but it looks like it😂

20 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

Staying in a hotel above the level of the tsunami and had a great holiday? 

I guess you are not talking about that you were there during the tsunami, but it looks like it😂

Thankfully no. The hotel was above the high water mark. Who would have thought I would have to check how my hotel faired in a Tsunami, but I did. It's a stark reminder in Phuket, when you see the siren towers and signs saying what to do in the event of a tsunami. Let's just say that when I was swimming in he Andaman Sea, I was keeping an eye on the water level. So if you're there and the water retreats and your high and dry....run to high ground!!!! Fast!!!