News Forum - Results for 2 travellers infected with Covid-19 in November come out positive for Omicron

Thaiger

The test results for two travellers who tested positive for Covid-19 last month have now come back positive for the Omicron variant, but health officials say the patients have already recovered. Following the emergence of the Omicron variant, Thai health officials started reviewing the of the Covid-19 cases involving travellers from overseas during the month of November. The two cases are Thai women, ages 36 and 46, who came travelled back to Thailand after working as interpreters at a religious ceremony in Nigeria late last month. The tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Thailand. The officer from the Centre […]

The story Results for 2 travellers infected with Covid-19 in November come out positive for Omicron as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

12 minutes ago, mjwalker said:

maybe this tells us everything we need to know 

very mild symptoms 

no panic 

The initial evidence points that way. 

During the meantime, the UK is reporting that initial tests suggest that the Pfizer Jab may only have 1/40th of the efficacy against Omicron, that it has against Delta. I was not pleased to her that. After getting two shots of AZ, on Thursday I got my booster shot: Pfizer.

3 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

The initial evidence points that way. 

During the meantime, the UK is reporting that initial tests suggest that the Pfizer Jab may only have 1/40th of the efficacy against Omicron, that it has against Delta. I was not pleased to her that. After getting two shots of AZ, on Thursday I got my booster shot: Pfizer.

If Omicron is only mild then I wouldn't worry, a dose of Omicron may strengthen your immune system against the more dangerous variants and the Pfizer may be a bonus to you if you need it.

4 minutes ago, palooka said:

If Omicron is only mild then I wouldn't worry, a dose of Omicron may strengthen your immune system against the more dangerous variants and the Pfizer may be a bonus to you if you need it.

Most of what I have heard about this variant is a lot more favourable than reports on Delta. However, what I haven't heard is that it is not fatal, especially to high risk groups, and that it cannot mutate into a more toxic variant. 

We could take the view that because this is so less harmful, we don't need to view this with any urgency. But if we are not doing our best to eradicate this, we are in effect just waiting to see what the next variant will bring.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mjwalker said:

maybe this tells us everything we need to know 

very mild symptoms 

no panic 

Maybe it doesn't!

Not only does it not tell anyone if it's fatal or dangerous to particular groups, but most importantly it doesn't indicate anything about the effect on the immune system.

Best case: it increases immunity to all variants, at little risk to anyone.

Most probable case, according to some sources: it has no effect on immunity at all, apart from to the variant, so we're simply back to where we were a month ago.

Worst case, unlikely according to most sources: it will weaken the immune system.