News Forum - Myanmar ousted leader’s prison sentence reduced to two years

Thaiger

Myanmar’s ousted State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi was sentenced to four years in prison yesterday, but it was then reduced to two years following a partial pardon by the military junta’s commander, according to state television. Her indictments were unrest and violating Covid-19 epidemic guidelines, according to the junta’s ruling court, which ordered the first judicial decision in a series of allegations brought by the country’s military administration against her. Meanwhile, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen, who will lead the ASEAN bloc next year, said yesterday that he has reached out to Myanmar’s junta to offer assistance in resolving […]

The story Myanmar ousted leader’s prison sentence reduced to two years as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

With some more international pressure it will be zero years in prison. Time for the junta to back off!! This was a contrived coup, trying to oust a popular and well respected leader, in international circles, who was elected along with her government. The militarists tried to coerce her to push out Rohinga Muslims. I am sure that this was not her desire, or that of the government. 

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

With some more international pressure it will be zero years in prison. Time for the junta to back off!! This was a contrived coup, trying to oust a popular and well respected leader, in international circles, who was elected along with her government. The militarists tried to coerce her to push out Rohinga Muslims. I am sure that this was not her desire, or that of the government. 

She lost a lot of sympathy when she supported the ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/world/asia/aung-san-suu-kyi-rohingya-myanmar-genocide-hague.html

Regardless, she has been dealt with by a Kangaroo Court. This is where we get find out whether her disaffected supporters are really interested in human rights, or just populists. For human rights to mean anything we need to defend everyone's human rights, including those of the people we don't like.

• Like 1

That was magnanimous of him 🙄 She has always been in an untenable position. The generals rule the day. Her efforts at even the slightest reform has led to this very unfortunate situation for her.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I guarantee her hand was forced on ethnic cleansing...... that is why the junta "removed her"

And I can guarantee you that Amnesty did not think so. More to the point, why would the Junta remove her for justifying their crimes? 

3 minutes ago, Cabra said:

That was magnanimous of him 🙄 She has always been in an untenable position. The generals rule the day. Her efforts at even the slightest reform has led to this very unfortunate situation for her.

She spent years as a prisoner of conscience, during which she became a Human Rights Icon (HR). She won a Nobel Prize, and the title of HR Defender from Amnesty (since revoked) and another award from the City of Dublin which was also taken back.

She had several options. She could have spoken out. I don't doubt that this would have got her thrown back in custody. She could have resigned in protest. Who would have blamed her if she decided she wanted to keep both her principles and her liberty? She could have done nothing. In view of her past history, that would have been shameful especially as it would have meant ignoring the HR of others. But she went beyond that shameless act, wen she told the world media, that the crisis was because Rohingyas had been attacking and burning isolated military bases and Police stations. She then went on to deny claims that the Military had been systematically carrying out Srebrenica V 2.0 in Myanmar.

She is undoubtedly the most important political prisoner to be released since Mandela, and I have no doubt that Amnesty will do it's best to secure her release again in spite of the embarrassment she has caused, because it is the right thing to do. But right know, as she sits in her cell, I suspect that she might be regretting her betraying the HR of the Rohingya. 

https://www.independent.ie/news/how-aung-san-suu-kyi-won-and-lost-the-admiration-of-the-people-of-dublin-40039379.html

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I guarantee her hand was forced on ethnic cleansing...... that is why the junta "removed her"

What on earth are you saying?

That " the junta "removed her" " because she wouldn't go along with driving out the Rohingya, which was a policy she'd openly and actively supported?

Come on, seriously  .....

• Like 1

Does anyone really believe that she will only spend two years in prison? I also believe that there was an Australian man, an associate and economic adviser to ASSK. What of his fate? He was also facing gail time.

The juntas ruling court. More appropriate to rename it the juntas 'court jestors' ruling court!

We have seen this type of corruption and contempt to human rights before. There is no way diplomatic discussions will change the course or out come in the near future for this country under the current military regime. 

The Thai government seems to be  inconspicuously quiet on this matter?