News Forum - Hotel staff in close contact to Omicron case tests positive for Covid, variant not confirmed

Thaiger

One from 17 people with a close contact to the first Omicron case in Thailand tested positive for Covid-19, but lab tests are still being done to confirm the variant. Thai health officials announced yesterday that the first Omicron case was detected in Thailand after an American travelling from Spain, via Dubai, entering under the Test & Go quarantine exemption scheme for vaccinated travellers, tested positive for the virus. After investigating 17 people who had a close contact with the first Omicron case, the health officials confirmed that a hotel staff member who was serving food tested positive for Covid-19. […]

The story Hotel staff in close contact to Omicron case tests positive for Covid, variant not confirmed as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It is still baffling that this individual managed to have close sustained contact with 17 employees of the hotel. I can't think of any time I was at a hotel for less than two days that I was in sustained close proximity to 17 hotel employees. 

• Like 2

This is not news and you should be ashamed for publishing this. The only reason to post this is to generate fear and clicks. Shame on you.

Just now, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

It is still baffling that this individual managed to have close sustained contact with 17 employees of the hotel. I can't think of any time I was at a hotel for less than two days that I was in sustained close proximity to 17 hotel employees. 

Because IT IS NOT REAL! This is manufactured clickbait garbage designed to keep people scared and keep the endless "pandemic" going forever.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

That would be baffling indeed, but a close contact is generally just someone (anyone) who spent 15+ minutes in close proximity to the person after infection (not after the test is taken!). I reckon that just by having arrived by air could easily yield 10+ close contacts depending on seating arrangements.

1 hour ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Having done both 14 day and the Test & Go program, I agree its hard to imagine how a person serving food has any contact with the guest.  The food is delivered outside the room, the delivery person rings the bell and literally runs.  The only remote possibility is picking up the tray and mishandling the waste, again very remote.

• Like 1

In the experience of Omicron so far, it appears to be more transmissible. It doesn't mean the person who brought the variant in had close contact with 17 people but a few staffers get infected and then infect others among the staff is reasonable to expect. There should be no blame levelled with this on anyone who has been unfortunate enough to contract this variant. Omicron can be assymptomatic. As to the severity of the illness...it's too early to tell. As far as I'm aware, no one has died as a result. Here's hoping it stays that way. I know it's difficult to wait and see, but what other course of action? 

The race doesn't always go to the swiftest....the fight doesn't always go to the strongest....but you'd be a complete idiot if you didn't bet that way 🙂 So vaccination? Of course! 

The real topic is how the american caught the virus.

He resides in Spain and flew Spain Thailand via a hub in the Middle East.

If it is in the hub, given the number of tourists who arrive in Thailand via these hubs ...

the PCR test should be done on D + 3

Edited by vvdb.fr
Add

He got a 2e test and was ok but if you come in and test positief you be locket up for 14  days there are false positief tests i think they found out they can not make money from this thai guy

Thailand cannot stop Omicron to be dominant variant next year,

there are reports that Omicron is exponentially growing in UK and Denmark already

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, stuhan said:

They do realize that they require a different test kit for Omicron to identify it, the old one's are no good.

It all depends what the "old ones" are.

While we will never truly know how many cases of Covid are out there, worldometer reports less than 600 cases worldwide of Omicron as of today. Of course it will spread and far more than reported, but can we all just take a chill pill. Some of the predictions on here are like Armageddon!!! 

Now that the genomic sequence of Omicron is known (which has been a testament to international cooperation), a PCR test can be further tested to revealed whether it is Delta or Omicron.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, stuhan said:

They do realize that they require a different test kit for Omicron to identify it, the old one's are no good.

A PCR test is enough, there is no need for any other test. Now that the genome has been mapped, Omicron can be identified, just as delta was identified and any future variant will be. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

While we will never truly know how many cases of Covid are out there, worldometer reports less than 600 cases worldwide of Omicron as of today. Of course it will spread and far more than reported, but can we all just take a chill pill. Some of the predictions on here are like Armageddon!!! 

Not to challenge your post, but can that figure possibly be correct? The UK has gone from 0 to about 350 in less than a week

7 hours ago, BraveNewFahrenheit said:

Because IT IS NOT REAL! This is manufactured clickbait garbage designed to keep people scared and keep the endless "pandemic" going forever.

I always get fearful when I see posts like these. My fears are that such a post would normally carry an explanation as to why unknown forces are behaving like this. Could it be that these unknown forces  intercepted @BraveNewFahrenheit and that this is all he was able to send?

I do hope he's safe, and will be able to explain why they are doing this in due course.

16 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

I do hope he's safe, and will be able to explain why they are doing this in due course.

Thanks John, I am perfectly safe and have my immune system intact and unmodified so feeling pretty confident I made the right bet which was pretty easy for me as a student of history. I quickly reminded myself in May of 2020 that somehow magically after WW2 that all gov'ts did not transform into benign caring organizations that only want to see people happy and healthy. Crazy, I know, but again I was going on 5,000 years of human history.

Just yesterday I was thinking it is crazy that Japan has locked down its borders and I can not travel there freely, two whole years now...wild..but then again yesterday was also the 80th anniversary of Pearl Harbor, not all that long ago...history John, like Covid we are not immune to it!

Anyways hope you are doing well also!

• Cool 1