News Forum - US confirms diplomatic boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics over human rights abuses

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Sorry, but it's exactly the same thing in terms of debt and influence, which was the point made here - whether it's a good investment or not, manageable or not, props up or inflates currencies, encourages trade, etc  -  all are very valid issues but they're simply not of any real relevance here.

Very few countries, if any, are likely to follow America's lead on this - not because they're cowards or sycophants or because they owe China money, but because there's so little to choose between them.

European countries are following and it is on the table on Germany, too. Strongest economy in Europe and g7. Uk and Australia will follow, too and I guess Canada and Japan, too. Who is a friend with a undevelopped dictaorship country with concentration camps and their own people have to survive with 180 usd sallary or why you think China is listed as a development Country?!

3 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Go U.S.A. !

That will show them.

Like any in China will care.

The Chinese gov do. Have you not seen the number of times that when a sportsman in the US has criticised China, he has been forced by his team owner, to publicly grovel when China orders a TV boycott of that sport.

Shame on those owners who will sacrifice someone else's principles to protect their bottom line. Shame on China for their repugnant behaviour, and lets hear it for world tennis who are more interested in protecting one of their players than their own bottom line.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

The Chinese gov do. Have you not seen the number of times that when a sportsman in the US has criticised China, he has been forced by his team owner, to publicly grovel when China orders a TV boycott of that sport.

Shame on those owners who will sacrifice someone else's principles to protect their bottom line. Shame on China for their repugnant behaviour, and lets hear it for world tennis who are more interested in protecting one of their players than their own bottom line.

I don't follow US sports so I haven't, no. 

I'd be interested to see some examples though. 

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

If enough do it, it does. Better to take active measurers, however small, than just sit back and let the criminal States prosper. For example, I will not knowingly buy Chinese produced stuff, even if it is cheaper ( and often rubbish quality) .  That is an infinitesimally small  kind of boycott, but if enough people and States did it, the Chinese economy would collapse and signal change. 

I am fully with you on this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinetree said:

If enough do it, it does. Better to take active measurers, however small, than just sit back and let the criminal States prosper. For example, I will not knowingly buy Chinese produced stuff, even if it is cheaper ( and often rubbish quality) .  That is an infinitesimally small  kind of boycott, but if enough people and States did it, the Chinese economy would collapse and signal change. 

Credit to you for that post 

I thought it best to get the plaudits out of the way in case you think the following is a criticism:

When S. Africa had apartheid in full flow, there were plenty, myself included, who boycotted SA goods. After the system collapsed, there were plenty of SA Whites who said to the effect, "We didn't really worry too much about the boycott, but when we were denied the ability to take part in international sport, that really hurt".

I am wondering if a Man United player were to say something uncomplimentary about Beijing, and they tried to bully a grovelling public apology out of him and failed, if we might see Man U games boycotted on Chinese TV? There are reportedly 127 mill Chinese Man U fans.

• Like 1

Great on the USA and down with China CCP. The USA athletes and the rest of the World's athletes who do choose to go dressed diferently better be well left alone by those Communist CCP rats. I understand the mentaility of the athletes and their long hard training to compete on a world stage such as this. So in reality there should be no more olympics held in China ever again until they get rid of XI and realise we all need to get along and the world is not theirs to take. Putin needs to be muzzled and leashed too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Great on the USA and down with China CCP. The USA athletes and the rest of the World's athletes who do choose to go dressed diferently better be well left alone by those Communist CCP rats. I understand the mentaiolity of the athletes and their loug hard training to compete on a world stage such as this. So in reality there should be no more olympics held in China ever again until they get rid of XI and realise we all need to get along and the world is not theirs to take. Putin needs to be muzzled and leashed too.

Don't know if you are aware of it, but before China were awarded the 2008 Olympics, there were plenty of people who who were asking how the IOC could even contemplate such an idea in view of their appalling record on human rights (HR). This did not deter the IOC from giving them the games.

In the aftermath of the criticism, the IOC boasted about how they had got an agreement from China which would do a lot to improve HR in China. Beijing had agreed to allocate in every town and city, an area which would be set aside for free speech. I suppose it would be a bit like, Speakers Corner, in London's Hyde Park. Only problem was that to use these spaces, you first had to apply for a permit. To date, none have ever been issued.

If I'd been a member of the IOC and experienced such outrageous bad faith, I'd want payback. Instead, 7 years later in 2015, they give China the 2022 winter games. Probably a case of BETPET. Brown Envelopes Trump Principles Every Time. 

3 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Don't know if you are aware of it, but before China were awarded the 2008 Olympics, there were plenty of people who who were asking how the IOC could even contemplate such an idea in view of their appalling record on human rights (HR). This did not deter the IOC from giving them the games.

In the aftermath of the criticism, the IOC boasted about how they had got an agreement from China which would do a lot to improve HR in China. Beijing had agreed to allocate in every town and city, an area which would be set aside for free speech. I suppose it would be a bit like, Speakers Corner, in London's Hyde Park. Only problem was that to use these spaces, you first had to apply for a permit. To date, none have ever been issued.

If I'd been a member of the IOC and experienced such outrageous bad faith, I'd want payback. Instead, 7 years later in 2015, they give China the 2022 winter games. Probably a case of BETPET. Brown Envelopes Trump Principles Every Time. 

It is all boiling down to personal gains and offshore accounts is what I would gather. This is the travesty of most all who take a blind's eye to these rats. Now is getting very sticky and hot for the time and period we are all in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

It is all boiling down to personal gains and offshore accounts is what I would gather. This is the travesty of most all who take a blind's eye to these rats. Now is getting very sticky and hot for the time and period we are all in.

If Baron de Coubertin were alive today, he would probably be in tears to see what the inheritors have done to his legacy.

2 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

If Baron de Coubertin were alive today, he would probably be in tears to see what the inheritors have done to his legacy.

Would not doubt it a bit, but all he can do now is to continually keep rolling over in his grave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

Regardless of what the Athletes do, the US gov deserves applause for this.

I am quite sure the US Gov would have received a huge amount of abuse from the public  if Trump was POTUS

11 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I am quite sure the US Gov would have received a huge amount of abuse from the public  if Trump was POTUS

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republicans-blast-biden-diplomatic-boycott-of-olympics-as-too-little

And your point is...?

I've come to the conclusion that US politics is permanently screwed because there are far too many people letting others doing their thinking for them, if they pander to the voter's prejudices. 

7 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republicans-blast-biden-diplomatic-boycott-of-olympics-as-too-little

And your point is...?

I've come to the conclusion that US politics is permanently screwed because there are far too many people letting others doing their thinking for them, if they pander to the voter's prejudices. 

Trump would have received torrents of abuse , relentless accusations of being a racist and calls to impeach him and questions would have been raised about his mental health and accusations of trying to start a war with China and causing friction ect

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Trump would have received torrents of abuse , relentless accusations of being a racist and calls to impeach him and questions would have been raised about his mental health and accusations of trying to start a war with China and causing friction ect

I think you are representative of those Americans I've just described. Look at the hysteria surrounding Hunter Biden's laptop. Have you ever wondered why Fooliani has never released his copy of the Hard Drive? The reason is obvious, but US politics are so toxic that the first thing so many do, is attack the other side regardless of the issue. And that is exactly what you've done with your post.

Someone voices an opinion the US has done something right, and you interpret that as a vote for Biden, which you then seek to undermine that imagined vote by telling us how hard done by Trump is. I've got news for you! Not only are you off-topic but this is not  ballot box!

There's been several threads shut down recently because someone has inserted Trump into the argument. It would be nice to see if this thread can survive that fate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

Did you ever heard something from Nato? Did you ever heard how much countries Europe, Scandinavia and the balics have and all Nato members died you ever heard about nuclear missiles in Germany and trained  75 years to encounter Russia. I never read such pure nonsense and zero knowledge about Nato, Europe and capabilities and have 24 hours Russia on the Radar including Ukraine. Their capabilities are much higher than China and Russia together. Some are thinking everything depends on the USA for defend or any threat in Europe or even in south China sea or indo pacific? French have their terroritories, too as germans support France and Japan. It is a kind of idiocy to think europes destiny or the region depends just on the USA. There are the European armies, Scandinavian plus all the other Nato countries including the USA!

If I could understand what you're trying to say I may be better able to reply.

If you're trying to say that NATO's going to go to war with Russia over the Crimea and the Ukraine, using the "nuclear missiles in Germany" ... well ... 😂

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

European countries are following and it is on the table on Germany, too. Strongest economy in Europe and g7. Uk and Australia will follow, too and I guess Canada and Japan, too. Who is a friend with a undevelopped dictaorship country with concentration camps and their own people have to survive with 180 usd sallary or why you think China is listed as a development Country?!

Sorry, I couldn't even make a guess with that one.

2 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Regardless of what the Athletes do, the US gov deserves applause for this.

A slow hand clap may be more appropriate.

If all the US is prepared to do despite all the rhetoric and posturing is not send a few diplomats / senior politicians to attend the winter games then why bother?

All it does is show just how little they're actually prepared to do - better to do nothing than make it quite so obvious that they're all mouth and no trousers.

Biden made it very clear that the ultimate punishment would be ordering Trader Joe's to remove its Trader Ming's label from its Asian Food products.

image.thumb.png.9a64cff5204443f761847523c242ebe8.png

Edited by longwood50

4 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Wow you couldn’t be more wrong if you tried.  Many of these third world countries take out these loans that end up a huge percentage of their GDP. They didn’t have the revenue to service the loan prior to taking it, it’s leveraged debt. It’s so bad the UN and world bank have taken notice and not in a good way. China might be the largest US debt holder, but the value of the debt is small in comparison to the total or the US ability to pay the debt. More US Treasury Bonds are traded over the counter world wide in a week than China owns. It’s why every time China threatens to dump them on the market to punish America, the US laughs and tell them to go ahead. It’s a hollow threat always has been and always will be. Those who take loans with China are struggling mightily. Many giving up assets and sovereignty. Others can even feed their people anymore. It’s hardly the same thing. Remember the old saying: not all debt is the same. 

A. China has never 'threatened to dump American bonds.'

B. It's not China's fault they their loanees are struggling. They dont have to borrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Poolie said:

A. China has never 'threatened to dump American bonds.'

B. It's not China's fault they their loanees are struggling. They dont have to borrow.

It's called irresponsible lending. To loan money to a person or government in this case knowing full well that the repayments will cause financial hardship leading to the seizure of assets. In CCP  words a good land grab business to forward their world dominance strategy. Yet another dirty trick by the CCP and its cyber drones.

27 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

It's called irresponsible lending. To loan money to a person or government in this case knowing full well that the repayments will cause financial hardship leading to the seizure of assets. In CCP  words a good land grab business to forward their world dominance strategy. Yet another dirty trick by the CCP and its cyber drones.

No, it's called politics and gaining influence.

China just happens to be rather better at it than the USA, and able to do it without losing so many lives or so much money.

Edit:

and where, apart from in the rather over-active imagination of a poster here, has the "seizure of assets" happened?

2nd edit: 

and before anyone says I'm an 'apologist' for China, I'm not saying it's a good thing, just that they're better at it.

7 hours ago, Pinetree said:

We will see, or at least those who are still alive will see,  when the Russia/China issues finally play out and result in armed conflict, as I am quite sure that they will at some point. Bow down to bullies and at some point,  they come to bite you in the ass. It will be Russia over Ukraine, or China over Taiwan, or both at the same time, but it will happen. However, I fear the end result, as the 'democratic' countries of the World  are run, as I said earlier, by cowards and sycophants'. 

While you are distracted  by the appeal of such highlighted issues  take a look over the  horizon  to the altercations between Israel and Iran where a flashpoint of greater potential than Taiwan or Ukraine is fomenting.

• Like 3