Jump to content

News Forum - US confirms diplomatic boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics over human rights abuses


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

The US government has confirmed a diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics to protest ongoing human rights violations, according to White House press secretary Jen Psaki. “US diplomatic or official representation would treat these games as business as usual in the face of the PRC’s egregious human rights abuses and atrocities in Xinjiang, and we simply can’t do that. We have a fundamental commitment to promoting human rights.” However, the Biden administration has stopped short of preventing American athletes from competing. “I don’t think that we felt it was the right step to penalise athletes who have been training […]

The story US confirms diplomatic boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics over human rights abuses as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good on the US,  Now the other responsible western countries should do the same.  Leave this Olympics to China's very few mates and its slave States. Maybe the slave States could be given a 10% reduction on their massive debts to China if they attend. 

 

Edited by Pinetree
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Good on the US,  Now the other responsible western countries should do the same.  Leave this Olympics to China's very few mates and its slave States. Maybe the slave States could be given a 10% reduction on their massive debts to China if they attend. 

Will anyone actually notice the lack of US diplomatic representation?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Good on the US,  Now the other responsible western countries should do the same.  Leave this Olympics to China's very few mates and its slave States. Maybe the slave States could be given a 10% reduction on their massive debts to China if they attend. 

The USA athletes will still be participating in the Olympic events , just the suits wont be attending 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Fluke said:

The USA athletes will still be participating in the Olympic events , just the suits wont be attending 

Some will and some will not, but the point will be made I hope,  that China is fast becoming an international pariah, if it isn't one already, at least for those States not in deep debt to it.  

Edited by Pinetree
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Those who value freedom will do so. 

Sadly, I'm not sure how.

It's a bit like some here bleating "I've put you on ignore", thinking it somehow makes any difference.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Sadly, I'm not sure how.

It's a bit like some here bleating "I've put you on ignore", thinking it somehow makes any difference.

If enough do it, it does. Better to take active measurers, however small, than just sit back and let the criminal States prosper. For example, I will not knowingly buy Chinese produced stuff, even if it is cheaper ( and often rubbish quality) .  That is an infinitesimally small  kind of boycott, but if enough people and States did it, the Chinese economy would collapse and signal change. 

  • Like 3
  • Cool 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

Maybe the slave States could be given a 10% reduction on their massive debts to China if they attend. 

 

47 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

... at least for those States not in deep debt to it.  

Well, in terms of GDP some African countries and Laos and Cambodia are pretty deep in debt to China.

Germany and the Netherlands also owe China more than 10% of GDP, and the USA, Canada, France Australia and the UK all owe China between 5 and 10%.

In cash terms, though, China's biggest debtor by far is the USA - $1.1 trillion.  😢

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

If enough do it, it does. Better to take active measurers, however small, than just sit back and let the criminal States prosper. For example, I will not knowingly buy Chinese produced stuff, even if it is cheaper ( and often rubbish quality) .  That is an infinitesimally small  kind of boycott, but if enough people and States did it, the Chinese economy would collapse and signal change. 

Well ... umm ... enough people and states aren't doing it ... that seems to suggest only one thing ... 😯

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Well ... umm ... enough people and states aren't doing it ... that seems to suggest only one thing ... 😯

yes, that they are all cowards and sycophants. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stonker said:

In cash terms, though, China's biggest debtor by far is the USA - $1.1 trillion.  😢

Not really the same thing. It’s one thing to borrow money from China in the form of a loan. Quite another for China to buy US T-bills as an investment product. Does the US owe money sure, but one is manageable where the US is in charge, and another is not. Borrow money from China and default, they end up owning the asset. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

yes, that they are all cowards and sycophants. 

Well, I suppose that's one view if people disagree with you!

Alternatively, maybe they don't agree with the hypocrisy (if not absurdity) of the US trying to preach to others about human rights and empire building.

It's a bit like the UK bleating about the way China's ruling Hong Kong when the UK was even more authoritarian and less democratic during its own hundred year tenure. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Well, I suppose that's one view if people disagree with you!

Alternatively, maybe they don't agree with the hypocrisy (if not absurdity) of the US trying to preach to others about human rights and empire building.

It's a bit like the UK bleating about the way China's ruling Hong Kong when the UK was even more authoritarian and less democratic during its own hundred year tenure. 

We will see, or at least those who are still alive will see,  when the Russia/China issues finally play out and result in armed conflict, as I am quite sure that they will at some point. Bow down to bullies and at some point,  they come to bite you in the ass. It will be Russia over Ukraine, or China over Taiwan, or both at the same time, but it will happen. However, I fear the end result, as the 'democratic' countries of the World  are run, as I said earlier, by cowards and sycophants'. 

Edited by Pinetree
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Not really the same thing. It’s one thing to borrow money from China in the form of a loan. Quite another for China to buy US T-bills as an investment product. Does the US owe money sure, but one is manageable where the US is in charge, and another is not. Borrow money from China and default, they end up owning the asset. 

Sorry, but it's exactly the same thing in terms of debt and influence, which was the point made here - whether it's a good investment or not, manageable or not, props up or inflates currencies, encourages trade, etc  -  all are very valid issues but they're simply not of any real relevance here.

Very few countries, if any, are likely to follow America's lead on this - not because they're cowards or sycophants or because they owe China money, but because there's so little to choose between them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

We will see, or at least those who are still alive will see,  when the Russia/China issues finally play out and result in armed conflict, as I am quite sure that they will at some point. Bow down to bullies and at some point,  they come to bite you in the ass. It will be Russia over Ukraine, or China over Taiwan, or both at the same time, but it will happen. However, I fear the end result, as the 'democratic' countries of the World  are run, as I said earlier, by cowards and sycophants'. 

War with Russia or China?

Apart from through third parties, as has been going on for decades, not a chance.

Who's going to go to war with Russia, if Russia goes into the Ukraine?

The USA, which has been the world's biggest bully for a long time, has lost it's appetite for having it's ass kicked.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Stonker said:

War with Russia or China?

Apart from through third parties, as has been going on for decades, not a chance.

Who's going to go to war with Russia, if Russia goes into the Ukraine?

The USA, which has been the world's biggest bully for a long time, has lost it's appetite for having it's ass kicked.

we will see. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

we will see. 

I'm sure we will!

As I asked, "Who's going to go to war with Russia, if Russia goes into the Ukraine ?"

You can be sure of one thing - it won't be the USA!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Sorry, but it's exactly the same thing in terms of debt and influence, which was the point made here

Wow you couldn’t be more wrong if you tried.  Many of these third world countries take out these loans that end up a huge percentage of their GDP. They didn’t have the revenue to service the loan prior to taking it, it’s leveraged debt. It’s so bad the UN and world bank have taken notice and not in a good way. China might be the largest US debt holder, but the value of the debt is small in comparison to the total or the US ability to pay the debt. More US Treasury Bonds are traded over the counter world wide in a week than China owns. It’s why every time China threatens to dump them on the market to punish America, the US laughs and tell them to go ahead. It’s a hollow threat always has been and always will be. Those who take loans with China are struggling mightily. Many giving up assets and sovereignty. Others can even feed their people anymore. It’s hardly the same thing. Remember the old saying: not all debt is the same. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Wow you couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. Many of these third world countries take out these loans that end up a huge percentage of their GDP.

Really?  Couldn't be more wrong?

You seem to have somehow overlooked that I said that at the start of my first comment on this: "Well, in terms of GDP some African countries and Laos and Cambodia are pretty deep in debt to China." 😂

 

 

9 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

It’s why every time China threatens to dump them on the market to punish America, the US laughs and tell them to go ahead.

Really?

When's China ever done that 😂 😂?

12 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Many giving up assets and sovereignty.

Really really?

So what are the "many" countries that have given up "sovereignty" to China?

As many as those that have given up sovereignty to the US, allowing them to base troops there that due to SoFA's are all too often not even subject to the country's laws?

I don't think so ... 😂 😂 😂!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The US government has confirmed a diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics to protest ongoing human rights violations, according to White House press secretary Jen Psaki. “US diplomatic or official representation would treat these games as business as usual in the face of the PRC’s egregious human rights abuses and atrocities in Xinjiang, and we simply can’t do that. We have a fundamental commitment to promoting human rights.” However, the Biden administration has stopped short of preventing American athletes from competing. “I don’t think that we felt it was the right step to penalise athletes who have been training […]

The story US confirms diplomatic boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics over human rights abuses as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

If USA wants to boycott, do it wholly. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

War with Russia or China?

Apart from through third parties, as has been going on for decades, not a chance.

Who's going to go to war with Russia, if Russia goes into the Ukraine?

The USA, which has been the world's biggest bully for a long time, has lost it's appetite for having it's ass kicked.

Did you ever heard something from Nato? Did you ever heard how much countries Europe, Scandinavia and the balics have and all Nato members died you ever heard about nuclear missiles in Germany and trained  75 years to encounter Russia. I never read such pure nonsense and zero knowledge about Nato, Europe and capabilities and have 24 hours Russia on the Radar including Ukraine. Their capabilities are much higher than China and Russia together. Some are thinking everything depends on the USA for defend or any threat in Europe or even in south China sea or indo pacific? French have their terroritories, too as germans support France and Japan. It is a kind of idiocy to think europes destiny or the region depends just on the USA. There are the European armies, Scandinavian plus all the other Nato countries including the USA!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

The USA athletes will still be participating in the Olympic events , just the suits wont be attending 

Regardless of what the Athletes do, the US gov deserves applause for this.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use