Washing machine soap dispenser blockage

Bluesofa

18 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

This is going on longer than a soap (dispenser) opera.

I had a cunning plan Baldrick. I thought instead of the three shims I put in, it might have been easier just to reduce the water inlet pressure.

The washing machine must have some way to recognise how much water is in the drum - it has to allow for different water pressures over a wide range of installations surely?

I removed the three shims.
With the stop-tap open fully (as normal) I set the machine to fill the minimum amount of water - 20 litres. Then I stopped it and measured the depth of water in the drum.
Drained the water out, closed the stop-tap to about half and watched the drum fill again with a lot less pressure, for the same 20 litres.
It still filled the water to the same depth. However, this time the water from the spreader went completely into the soap dispenser.

Will there be another exciting episode, or is everyone asleep already?

The water level is regulated by both a pressure sensor/switch at the top of an air tube from the bottom of the main bowl that works in conjunction with electronics so the levels will always be fairly consistent regardless of fill rate.

Has the tube from the inlet solenoid been dislodged or distorted where it is supposed to flow into the  detergent container? As you say the "system" should be capable of coping with a range of supply pressures.

I would even suggest unmounting the solenoid and checking nothing has lodged in the tube.

I make it sound simple because I am thinking in terms of our Samsung machine on which it is very easy because the solenoid is "clipped in" so can be popped in and out without even the need to remove wiring or inlet hose.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

Has the tube from the inlet solenoid been dislodged or distorted where it is supposed to flow into the  detergent container? As you say the "system" should be capable of coping with a range of supply pressures.

Although I removed that tube from the 'sprayer', I could see it was clear.
The inlet to the solenoid is is where the flexible hose from the stop-tap is connected. There is a filter in there, which I've already checked.

The spreader which sprays out the water into the drum is a plastic moulding which is secured to the top inside cover of the top of the machine. It has two lips which prevent it being incorrectly positioned.
It was this that I originally put the three shims under, to force it to point further into the inside of the drum - and the soap dispenser. 

Maybe mount a downward deflecting baffle in front of the "spreader" using a piece of an ice cream container?

The set up seems to have a very optimistic intent if the detergent basket is always supposed to line up with the water inlet position.

If it we me I would do away with compliance  and simply toss the washing powder on top of the clothes .

That's what my wife has always done so I have followed suit ! lol

I've got a collection of wash balls that come with the large plastic liquid detergent containers,just pour some detergent in then place on top of clothes,job done.