Visa process for under 50 spouse of Non-Thai on Retirement Visa

We are both USA citizens, non-Thai. Spouse is over 50. I am under 50. We plan to enter on 60 day Tourist Visas (SE), and extend for 30 days, if needed.

I read my spouse (over 50) can open a Thai account with 800k THB, then apply at local immigration to change status to Non Immigrant and apply for 90 day Non-O.

Then, after two months with 800k in the Thai bank account, spouse can apply for 1 year extension and continue renewal process once a year.

Questions:

What is the process and Visa type that I can apply for (being under 50) to stay with my non-Thai spouse after they get their Non-O visa?

How much additional cash is required and which spouse needs it in their Thai bank account?

Are there any other requirements and will I have to leave Thailand and re-enter to join spouse or can we both accomplish this from within Thailand?

If this has already been discussed, please provide a link and I will read it there. I couldn't find the detailed process for this situation while searching here.

Thank you again!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vft said:

We are both USA citizens, non-Thai. Spouse is over 50. I am under 50. We plan to enter on 60 day Tourist Visas (SE), and extend for 30 days, if needed.

I read my spouse (over 50) can open a Thai account with 800k THB, then apply at local immigration to change status to Non Immigrant and apply for 90 day Non-O.

Then, after two months with 800k in the Thai bank account, spouse can apply for 1 year extension and continue renewal process once a year.

Correct so far.

8 hours ago, vft said:

What is the process and Visa type that I can apply for (being under 50) to stay with my non-Thai spouse after they get their Non-O visa?

There isn't any from your wife obtaining a Non Imm O Visa.

When are you 50?

• Like 1

To stay with your non Thai spouse long term in Thailand when only one is aged 50 or over, that person must apply for the Non O-A Visa and the Thai Embassy issue a Non O to the partner.
The partner on the Non O can then extend their stay based on being a family member of the other qualifying partner. (Often known as piggybacking permission of stay).

The regulations for this process can be found in Immigration Bureau order 327-2557. 
The first party over 50 applies for annual extensions based on section 2.22 (retirement).
The second party applies for extensions based on section 2.20 (family member).
327-2557 (2014) - Criteria for extension ENG.pdf

The second parties permission of stay is subject to the first parties permission of stay being granted.

• Like 1