News Forum - First Omicron strain reported in Thailand, Test & Go traveller tests positive

Thaiger

The individual (American) lived in Spain for the last 12 months. He flew directly from Spain to Thailand through Dubai.. Don't think even Delta was around back then? Ban travel from the US.. no problem - who wants to listen to Bilken anyway..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thomazz59 said:

The individual (American) lived in Spain for the last 12 months. He flew directly from Spain to Thailand through Dubai.. Don't think even Delta was around back then? Ban travel from the US.. no problem - who wants to listen to Bilken anyway..

But was the person an American?

Not according to Bangkok Post …..

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2227511/thailand-detects-first-omicron-covid-case

The coronavirus variant was found in a Thai businessman who arrived in the country from Spain, senior Public Health Ministry officials said on Monday.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2227511/thailand-detects-first-omicron-covid-case

The coronavirus variant was found in a Thai businessman who arrived in the country from Spain, senior Public Health Ministry officials said on Monday.

Actually the BP says both:

"The coronavirus variant was found in a Thai businessman who arrived in the country from Spain, senior Public Health Ministry officials said on Monday.

... Department of DiseaseControl chief Opas Karnkawinpong added the businessman was a US citizen who had lived in Spain for one year before he arrived in Thailand."

Maybe he was a dual national ...

1 hour ago, vlad said:

If this person did infact bring Omicron into Thailand i find it difficult with pre travel test's on leaving his own Country, unless he got infected between airports or the Plane.

I would think it would be hard to get infected on the plane and for the virus to hijack cells and replicate it self to the levels that is needed for detection.. you can be exposed to covid 2 or 3 days before your test to fly and it can come back as negative.. then another 2 or 3 days untill you fly thinking you are not infected. then on arrival you will test positive and probably extremely unhappy..

• Like 2

Even if this was a mistake they won't stop Omicron from entering Thailand, it will be here soon. They need to wait until they see how Omicron affects people after infected because as of now it's not proving to be a problem, so wait before deciding to impose any actions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlad said:

If this person did infact bring Omicron into Thailand i find it difficult with pre travel test's on leaving his own Country, unless he got infected between airports or the Plane.

51 minutes ago, Convert54 said:

It has been acknowledged that Omicron escapes detection in some PCR tests.  Same reason they were trying to track down African country arrivals who had all tested negative prior to the "discovery" of Omicron.

He may not have been given the necessary test in Spain, but the window for infection was certainly more than "between airports or the plane".

He could have been infected up to three or four days before the PCR test and any infection (omicron, delta, or anything else) wouldn't necessarily show up until the fourth day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rangers said:

It's hard to argue against another lockdown? Really? Omicron is all over the world and there is ZERO deaths, infact nobody here in the UK has suffered more than a sniffle. But you think Thailand should lockdown and destroy their economy even further?

Was going to say exactly that... when I thought things could not go crazier, well new events prove me wrong again. I am also starting to wonder if some people here are enjoying this somehow, the lockdowns aficionados, people that are no doubt not the poorest nor the youngest ones, so the very ones that have the most to loose from covid while the priority for most human beings on this planet is to make a living, firstly the vast majority of them do not even get sick, omicron or otherwise, but most of all what is the point of life if you cannot make a living for it??? I rather die from covid than force my grand-kids to go crazy in another lockdown, and their parents loosing their job/business and therefore unable to provide basic needs with all the consequences attached to that for many years!!!

As for the UK, I never thought I would say that but fair due to Boris Johnson to let life getting on (almost) as normal for many months now in England, to end this constant panic agenda and to stop listening to everything the imcompetent and corrupted (sorry: with conflict of interests) scientists of SAGE and others say. Perhaps other leaders should learn from him...on that subject.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Manu said:

Perhaps other leaders should learn from him...on that subject

I doubt any others are quite that desperate just yet ... 🥳

40 minutes ago, Manu said:

Was going to say exactly that... when I thought things could not go crazier, well new events prove me wrong again. I am also starting to wonder if some people here are enjoying this somehow, the lockdowns aficionados, people that are no doubt not the poorest nor the youngest ones, so the very ones that have the most to loose from covid while the priority for most human beings on this planet is to make a living, firstly the vast majority of them do not even get sick, omicron or otherwise, but most of all what is the point of life if you cannot make a living for it??? I rather die from covid than force my grand-kids to go crazy in another lockdown, and their parents loosing their job/business and therefore unable to provide basic needs with all the consequences attached to that for many years!!!

As for the UK, I never thought I would say that but fair due to Boris Johnson to let life getting on (almost) as normal for many months now in England, to end this constant panic agenda and to stop listening to everything the imcompetent and corrupted (sorry: with conflict of interests) scientists of SAGE and others say. Perhaps other leaders should learn from him...on that subject.

God Forbid that anyone, anywhere learns anything from Boris.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Manu said:

Could not agree more. There are far too many people who get excited about lockdowns and new variants, you can spot them from a mile away. And you're right about Boris, I was never his biggest fan but I'm glad he's being strong and getting on with life as normal. 

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

If you read the source of the source, it says "ชายไทย สัญชาติอเมริกัน", i.e. "Thai male [with] American nationality". Perhaps born Thai and/or having two nationalities (not that the actual passport issuer is in any way relevant to the topic).

3 hours ago, stuhan said:

I did say (YET) in a previous post about  no Omicron in Thailand, was just a matter of time. Be interesting to see their next moves though just as they start easing and opening things.

theyll  say its  not too  severe and  carry  on

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Poolie said:

God Forbid that anyone, anywhere learns anything from Boris.

I  model  my hair  on his , damn fine  thatch too

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rangers said:

So you think the symptoms will be different? Plenty unvaccinated people have omicron. Its so mild nobody is even noticing. 

I think the count today worldwide was 500 + confirmed cases.... hardly plenty. There will be more of course... but let's not get too excited....

Its a case of yes WE in the UK are fully open because our vaccine and booster program are very high with close to a Million per day getting the Booster if we were struggling we would be back to lockdowns like last Christmas where Christmas was cancelled. Very hard to take but we have not or are likely to have another lockdown because of vaccines. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Manu said:

I rather die from covid than force my grand-kids to go crazy in another lockdown, and their parents loosing their job/business and therefore unable to provide basic needs with all the consequences attached to that for many years!!

If Omicron was worse than Delta, and anyone you knew died from it, you’d be screaming blue murder that any lockdown wasn’t fast enough, blaming everyone that you and your loved ones weren’t taken care of promptly enough and damn the lost financial opportunities. What’s worse - losing your livelihood or your life? 

• Like 1

I'm unaware of anyone so far (of the 500+ who have been confirmed as contracting Omicron, in the world), who have died of this variant. We really need to wait and see. This variant has been identified very early. It's not like Alpha or Delta ( that had already gone rampant). At least now it can be Identified. Let's keep calm and carry on!!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

If you read the source of the source, it says "ชายไทย สัญชาติอเมริกัน", i.e. "Thai male [with] American nationality". Perhaps born Thai and/or having two nationalities (not that the actual passport issuer is in any way relevant to the topic).

This is fairly common in the US.  Foreign national can become US citizens after they meet specific requirements.  Many Thai ladies who marry Americans become naturized citizens and have full rights . They don't need to give up their Thai citizenship. It's especially advantageous for retired people getting social security or those that frequently travel back and forth. 

The authenticity and the origin of the vaccination certificate must also be verified! Many people manage to get falsified certificates. It's much easier to get such certificates in some countries!

4 hours ago, Rangers said:

It's hard to argue against another lockdown? Really? Omicron is all over the world and there is ZERO deaths, infact nobody here in the UK has suffered more than a sniffle. But you think Thailand should lockdown and destroy their economy even further?

No heavy symptoms, no hospitalization, so it is good news omicron take over. People want keep the old variants with serious symptoms???

• Like 2