News Forum - First Omicron strain reported in Thailand, Test & Go traveller tests positive

Thaiger

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

This is fairly common in the US.  Foreign national can become US citizens after they meet specific requirements.  Many Thai ladies who marry Americans become naturized citizens and have full rights . They don't need to give up their Thai citizenship. It's especially advantageous for retired people getting social security or those that frequently travel back and forth. 

Same in europe thats why many here have 2 passports and children automatically can have 2 passports if the parents have 2. even they born in Thailand. Same at my family.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I think the count today worldwide was 500 + confirmed cases.... hardly plenty. There will be more of course... but let's not get too excited....

There will be way more than that mate, I know 2 guys that have it. Both unvaccinated and didn't even realise they had it. One has sore muscles and the other has a mild cold. 

11 minutes ago, Rangers said:

There will be way more than that mate, I know 2 guys that have it. Both unvaccinated and didn't even realise they had it. One has sore muscles and the other has a mild cold. 

In south Africa more than 1000 daily but as you said, the old variants are responsible for hospitalization or death.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stardust said:

In south Africa more than 1000 daily but as you said, the old variants are responsible for hospitalization or death.

Exactly. I think Omicron is actually good news for us all, Covid might be here to stay but it's definitely getting weaker. We just need to live with it. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rangers said:

So you think the symptoms will be different? Plenty unvaccinated people have omicron. Its so mild nobody is even noticing. 

Total worldwide: 223 (as of 3, December, WHO) If that's what you consider "plenty".

Breakdown vax/unvaxed:  Unreported as aggregate

Early to predict virulence as the most severe outcomes (hospitalization, ICU, intubation, death) are lagging indicators.

You may be out over your skis on this one.

2 minutes ago, El_Trauco said:

Total worldwide: 223 (as of 3, December, WHO) If that's what you consider "plenty".

Early to predict virulence as the most severe outcomes (hospitalization, ICU, intubation, death) are lagging indicators.

You seriously think there was only 223 people in the world that have it? Come on. I know the media don't like to be positive and will paint a terrifying picture for a while yet, but the symptoms are so mild people don't even realise they have it. 

• Like 1

Then check the reports of south Africa from the fore fronters, first reports of the labarotories in Germany including from Biontech ( and they are also connected with south africa in this field). 11500 cases detected of the new variant and 70% of the new cases are the new variants. That are the fact numbers!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-59503517

Your numbers are wrong! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rangers said:

You seriously think there was only 223 people in the world that have it? Come on. I know the media don't like to be positive and will paint a terrifying picture for a while yet, but the symptoms are so mild people don't even realise they have it. 

It would be interesting what his intention is to spread wrong numbers and a opposite picture what is happening than the ones who have it on the radar and forefront. They wanna watch it for another 3 weeks because they had no hospitalizations yet and 70% of the detected cases are now from the new variant.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Then check the reports of south Africa from the fore fronters, first reports of the labarotories in Germany including from Biontech ( and they are also connected with south africa in this field). 11500 cases detected of the new variant and 70% of the new cases are the new variants. That are the fact numbers!

Your numbers are wrong! 

Numbers will change as the variant spreads. Using your logic, the numbers you provide today will be wrong(!) tomorrow.

More precise testing=better case identification. Researchers will also look retrospectively to see how widespread the variant was prior to it's isolation. That will change the numbers again.

As stated in my post those numbers were as of 03/12/2021.

Virulence is still TBD (to be determined).

Have a lovely day

Numbers will change as the variant spreads. Using your logic, the numbers you provide today will be wrong(!) tomorrow.

More precise testing=better case identification. Researchers will also look retrospectively to see how widespread the variant was prior to it's isolation. That will change the numbers again.

Have a lovely day

Yes also wrong on 3rd december

17 minutes ago, El_Trauco said:

Here's the source.

https://www.reuters.com/world/global-spread-omicron-cases-associated-travel-curbs-2021-11-29/

December 3, 20215:40 PM +07Last Updated 4 days ago

Is Reuters incorrect? Perhaps you have a better resource? Don't be stingy please share.

I shared already with you the numbers only in south africa and with link. And the net is more full from many news outlets around the globe and was 3 days ago in 38 countries detected since the first detected cases 26 days ago.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/03/who-says-omicron-covid-variant-has-spread-to-38-countries.html

About south africa I sent the link already from bbc but sure many more out there. This was from the 3rd of december!

so you blocked Africa, and caused 200+ their vacation by quarantining them and banned the rest, will u now ban Dubai? or ban Spain and rest of Europe ?

18 minutes ago, Stardust said:

I shared already with you the numbers only in south africa and with link. And the net is more full from many news outlets around the globe and was 3 days ago in 38 countries detected since the first detected cases 26 days ago.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/03/who-says-omicron-covid-variant-has-spread-to-38-countries.html

About south africa I sent the link already from bbc but sure many more out there. This was from the 3rd of december!

By the way south Africa registered on 1st december 8563 detected cases of the new variant!

42 minutes ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

But, but... PM Prayut said he would not allow Omicron into the country. ???

I know...what a complete plonker!!!! It was inevitable it would arrive and its probably already embedded by all the people they can't find who, oddly (wonder why??), will not come forward to identify themselves......hilarious, leaving himself WIDE open like that....maybe he should "retire quickly"?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, El_Trauco said:

Have a lovely day

This are no who numbers and not claimed in your link and also noted that they not have the actual numbers. 1st december already 8563 detected cases only in south africa !

27 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Thanks for the link. I don't see any case numbers however.

The biggest takeaway is concerning virulence "It takes time unfortunately," (Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO's health emergencies program) "We saw that as well in previous waves of this pandemic. When the incidence rate goes up, it takes a week or two for that to result in hospital admissions and deaths."

This is the concept of lagging indicators. The jury is still out and it's premature to call this variant benign.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, El_Trauco said:

Thanks for the link. I don't see any case numbers however.

The biggest takeaway is concerning virulence "It takes time unfortunately," (Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO's health emergencies program) "We saw that as well in previous waves of this pandemic. When the incidence rate goes up, it takes a week or two for that to result in hospital admissions and deaths."

This is the concept of lagging indicators. The jury is still out and it's premature to call this variant benign.

Omg you really see no numbers? Over 11 000 on 3rd december! By the way 70% of all detected cases are the new variant now! Dated 3rd december!

Again the link and by the way in many english outlets!

In that Reuters report neither South Africa or Zimbabwe contributed numbers so they could not be included in the totals. I apologize for the incomplete data set , I should have vetted those numbers better.

I had assumed (wrongly) that their source was the WHO. On that I will stand corrected.

The remainder of the post remains valid concerning virulence and the importance of lagging indicators.

Again, have a lovely evening.

7 hours ago, Rangers said:

It's hard to argue against another lockdown? Really? Omicron is all over the world and there is ZERO deaths, infact nobody here in the UK has suffered more than a sniffle. But you think Thailand should lockdown and destroy their economy even further?

The extent to which some of the people on here are hysterically pro-lockdown is really quite something.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Omg you really see no numbers? Over 11 000 on 3rd december! By the way 70% of all detected cases are the new variant now! Dated 3rd december!

Again the link and by the way in many english outlets!

I thought you were referring to the CNBC article.

You do realize the BBC article states the total new COVID infections (aggregate)  without Omicron broken out. It does later mention 70% being Omicron, but no actual number is given. So...

11,500 X 0.7= 8,050

Approximately, but still an alarming number.

I will add that 8,050 + 223= 8,273

The number should now be correct (give or take a percentage point).

Sleep well my friend.

7 minutes ago, El_Trauco said:

I thought you were referring to the CNBC article.

You do realize the BBC article states the total new COVID infections (aggregate)  without Omicron broken out. It does later mention 70% being Omicron, but no actual number is given. So...

11,500 X 0.7= 8,050

Approximately, but still an alarming number.

I will add that 8,050 + 223= 8,273

The number should now be correct (give or take a percentage point).

Sleep well my friend.

The 11500 are the new variant cases, the total was 16 000

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/03/africa/south-africa-omicron-cases-surge-intl/index.html