News Forum - Thailand’s Health Ministry misses Covid-19 vaccination target

Thaiger

So near and yet, not near enough. Thailand’s Public Health Ministry has missed its own target of administering 100 million Covid-19 vaccine doses. The ministry had aimed to reach the milestone by yesterday but admits it has fallen short, according to a Nation Thailand report. Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit from the Public Health Ministry says officials have now administered 94 million vaccine doses, with that figure expected to have risen to 95 million following yesterday’s tally. Kiattiphum says he’s happy with this achievement. “Even though we cannot reach the target, the total number of Covid-19 vaccine doses administered nationwide was very […]

The story Thailand’s Health Ministry misses Covid-19 vaccination target as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Lack of Moderna is a huge problem in CM.

Is Pfizer not acceptable for some reason?

Issan has recently had walk-ins in a number of major cities, generally open to all comers, with all (at least in Loei, Udon, Chumphae and Khon Kaen) offering 2 x Pfizer and some 2 x Moderna, which were very popular indeed, well attended and well run, with many not waiting for Moderna to arrive privately even if they'd already paid for it.

Had this been done from the start, they'd have gone way past the hundred million mark by now.

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Is Pfizer not acceptable for some reason?

Issan has recently had walk-ins in a number of major cities, generally open to all comers, with all (at least in Loei, Udon, Chumphae and Khon Kaen) offering 2 x Pfizer and some 2 x Moderna, which were very popular indeed, well attended and well run, with many not waiting for Moderna to arrive privately even if they'd already paid for it.

Had this been done from the start, they'd have gone way past the hundred million mark by now.

Yeah, but no when it is put into the only with Sinovac or AZ factor. And besides, many of folk up here already bought into the Moderna and are waiting. So it is not exactly a full out anti stance.

Yeah, but no when it is put into the only with Sinovac or AZ factor

Well, those options were offered in Issan last week too, but with very few takers - none at all locally.

Here (locally) Pfizer and Moderna were even bought round from the local hospital last week for those who were too old / infirm to make the walk-ins, as long as someone 'walked-in' for them - 14 in my nearest village.

And besides, many of folk up here already bought into the Moderna and are waiting

Well, if they're "waiting" just so they can get what they paid for when Pfizer (and Moderna in smaller numbers) is available for free at walk-ins then that's being a bit petty and is unlikely to get or deserve much sympathy.

If they're waiting because they can only get vaccines "with Sinovac or AZ factor", though, that's a very different matter and for some reason Chiang Mai's being shafted even more than Issan despite the tourism factor and the considerably higher number of cases.

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

Well, those options were offered in Issan last week too, but with very few takers - none at all locally.

Here (locally) Pfizer and Moderna were even bought round from the local hospital last week for those who were too old / infirm to make the walk-ins, as long as someone 'walked-in' for them - 14 in my nearest village.

Well, if they're "waiting" just so they can get what they paid for when Pfizer (and Moderna in smaller numbers) is available for free at walk-ins then that's being a bit petty and is unlikely to get or deserve much sympathy.

If they're waiting because they can only get vaccines "with Sinovac or AZ factor", though, that's a very different matter and for some reason Chiang Mai's being shafted even more than Issan despite the tourism factor and the considerably higher number of cases.

No as it is the combo shot or nothing. I would have my wife do the double Pfizer if could get it as 2 shots. We actually have bought a few Moderna 4 x 2 shots with 2 hospitals, one in CM and one in BKK to try to get a fast in. I won’t name any hospitals as don’t want a problem. Plainly one large hospital chain in CM is not getting large Moderna numbers and only so far is at Que # 2 which will total a little over less than 1150 or so does spanning over 8 days total of vaccinations and over all wait time 3-4 weeks so far, and second question starts tomorrow until number 11. After the 11th then the total of just less than 1150 will be given out. Sad situation. Good thing is she is next and should be guaranteed to be first shot within this month. 

14 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

No as it is the combo shot or nothing.

Then beyond any doubt Chiang Mai's getting shafted.

Here there were walk-ins locally for Moderna and Pfizer in local hospitals, albeit only for one day which unfortunately we couldn't get to, so we simply drove to Khon Kaen where they had Pfizer (x 2)  for three days open to anyone, and my partner had Pfizer so we've just put the paid / private Moderna on hold for later as a booster.

We were lucky, as we have a lot of friends in the local hospitals and district offices, so when they knew we were after Pfizer or Moderna they sent us all the details - not just in our district and province but in neighbouring provinces - Khon Kaen had people from not just Khon Kaen and Loei but Chaiyaphum and Petchabum as well, and possibly even further afield.

Loei's one of the provinces least 'hit' by Covid, with far less cases than Chiang Mai, and very few international tourists, so as we had access to Pfizer for pretty much everyone not vaccinated who wants it and you haven't there seems to be a bit of discrimination going on.

14 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I would have my wife do the double Pfizer if could get it as 2 shots. We actually have bought a few Moderna 4 x 2 shots with 2 hospitals, one in CM and one in BKK to try to get a fast in. I won’t name any hospitals as don’t want a problem. Plainly one large hospital chain in CM is not getting large Moderna numbers and only so far is at Que # 2 which will total a little over less than 1150 or so does spanning over 8 days total of vaccinations and over all wait time 3-4 weeks so far, and second question starts tomorrow until number 11. After the 11th then the total of just less than 1150 will be given out. Sad situation. Good thing is she is next and should be guaranteed to be first shot within this month. 

The private / paid Moderna seems to be equally slow / delayed everywhere.

I doubt if ours, booked for January as September bookings were full, will arrive on time - Moderna doesn't seem to be to blame, nor the hospitals, but the Thonburi Health Group who seem to have promised what they've never been in a position to deliver.

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Then beyond any doubt Chiang Mai's getting shafted.

Here there were walk-ins locally for Moderna and Pfizer in local hospitals, albeit only for one day which unfortunately we couldn't get to, so we simply drove to Khon Kaen where they had Pfizer (x 2)  for three days open to anyone, and my partner had Pfizer so we've just put the paid / private Moderna on hold for later as a booster.

We were lucky, as we have a lot of friends in the local hospitals and district offices, so when they knew we were after Pfizer or Moderna they sent us all the details - not just in our district and province but in neighbouring provinces - Khon Kaen had people from not just Khon Kaen and Loei but Chaiyaphum and Petchabum as well, and possibly even further afield.

Loei's one of the provinces least 'hit' by Covid, with far less cases than Chiang Mai, and very few international tourists, so as we had access to Pfizer for pretty much everyone not vaccinated who wants it and you haven't there seems to be a bit of discrimination going on.

The private / paid Moderna seems to be equally slow / delayed everywhere.

I doubt if ours, booked for January as September bookings were full, will arrive on time - Moderna doesn't seem to be to blame, nor the hospitals, but the Thonburi Health Group who seem to have promised what they've never been in a position to deliver.

I had already booked Moderna for the kids and wife for having a couple of hail marys being at different intervals of que, so that totalled 4 x 2 split at 2 different hospitals being CM and BKK. I think you are correct. THG supposedly had thousands of delivered Moderna shots here in CM, and we wonder what, how and why. But now looking at one THG hospital they seemed to have been stagnated a bit now. So, what organization got those other Moderna shots imported? Probably taboo to talk about naming any of them. Now you see Thai folk advertizing left and right to sell their Moderna paid for doses. Either they worried too much and did the mixed 2 jabs, or they got Pfizer shots, but I do not think they got only Pfizer as is not majorly offered here as I just looked. But you are correct and I was wrong as I just saw an advert that has now already ended on Dec 5th. Here they did offer 2 shots Pfizer from 1-5th but this was not really openly known or advertised, and if we would have know I would have pushed my wife to get it. Now I will watch more closely again but that window came and went. The remaininbg 3 x 2 shots we have left of Moderna that we bought we can use as boosters for our family in Bangkok and here so if Pfizer pops up again I am ordering my wife to do it. As for the kids I was lucky to gert them Pfizer on their US passports last shgot was last month, andthey just told me their UNI CMU finally had offered Pfizer + Pfizer last week with a window of get it or cannot.

On 12/7/2021 at 1:56 PM, HolyCowCm said:

I had already booked Moderna for the kids and wife for having a couple of hail marys being at different intervals of que, so that totalled 4 x 2 split at 2 different hospitals being CM and BKK. I think you are correct. THG supposedly had thousands of delivered Moderna shots here in CM, and we wonder what, how and why. But now looking at one THG hospital they seemed to have been stagnated a bit now. So, what organization got those other Moderna shots imported? Probably taboo to talk about naming any of them. Now you see Thai folk advertizing left and right to sell their Moderna paid for doses. Either they worried too much and did the mixed 2 jabs, or they got Pfizer shots, but I do not think they got only Pfizer as is not majorly offered here as I just looked. But you are correct and I was wrong as I just saw an advert that has now already ended on Dec 5th. Here they did offer 2 shots Pfizer from 1-5th but this was not really openly known or advertised, and if we would have know I would have pushed my wife to get it. Now I will watch more closely again but that window came and went. The remaininbg 3 x 2 shots we have left of Moderna that we bought we can use as boosters for our family in Bangkok and here so if Pfizer pops up again I am ordering my wife to do it. As for the kids I was lucky to gert them Pfizer on their US passports last shgot was last month, andthey just told me their UNI CMU finally had offered Pfizer + Pfizer last week with a window of get it or cannot.

I know it's no consolation, but while you may be getting shafted on the state / public front with vaccines in Chiang Mai, you're no worse off with Moderna privately than anywhere else.

Some of those who booked and paid for Moderna at the one private hospital here in my province, due in September, in the first group, have just been given a message that their first dose will arrive on 12 December.

At that rate, it'll be just in time for us to use as a third dose / booster when ours arrive sometime next year!

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

I know it's no consolation, but while you may be getting shafted on the state / public front with vaccines in Chiang Mai, you're no worse off with Moderna privately than anywhere else.

Some of those who booked and paid for Moderna at the one private hospital here in my province, due in September, in the first group, have just been given a message that their first dose will arrive on 12 December.

At that rate, it'll be just in time for us to use as a third dose / booster when ours arrive sometime next year!

There is something fishy going on if the private Hospitals can’t deliver and the other you know who ones can. This will mean a lot of hospitals will have lots left over for free to resell? They are doing a free 1 shot Moderna giveaway here starting today, but we think there is a catch to it. Get one M, then you must have S or A after. Still looking but not a lot of trust . 

On 12/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, Thaiger said:

So near and yet, not near enough. Thailand’s Public Health Ministry has missed its own target

I do hope they do better with the syringe ….. would hate for them to pass on sub standards to their nurses 

10 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

They are doing a free 1 shot Moderna giveaway here starting today, but we think there is a catch to it. Get one M, then you must have S or A after. Still looking but not a lot of trust . 

Or could we use it as a booster shot? 

7 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Or could we use it as a booster shot? 

I think it said non vaccinated and while it lasts. Check out the wall. We/I have so many purchased Moderna now I dint worry about boosters unless they put a window time frame on them for here and the ones in BKK

17 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

There is something fishy going on if the private Hospitals can’t deliver and the other you know who ones can. This will mean a lot of hospitals will have lots left over for free to resell?

I think you may be reading a lot more into it than there is.

As far as I know all the state Moderna are donated, so there's no dealing with the company or their agent here and it's simply as long as it takes for the doses other countries already have to be flown here and distributed.

On the other hand all the private Moderna are bought through Thonburi Health Group, who massively over-promised on delivery dates and are reliant on Moderna supplying and delivering.

The only additional profit to be made would be from someone in a position to do so shifting donated Moderna from the state (free) to the private hospitals (to be sold) and that's the one thing that very obviously isn't happening.

When it eventually arrives, there are obviously going to be a lot of buyers who've ordered and paid for Moderna in advance who've had state vaccines already, but given the demand for boosters which will come in at much the same time Moderna arrives (three to six months after the second jab) the delay and timing could well be fortuitous.   The only profiteering then would be if some hospitals wouldn't 'split' a double dose between two people (one booster each), which apparently some may be unwilling to do, but that's very much a wait and see issue and I think most will be co-operative.